• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gum removal

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a special place in hell reserved for people who leave chewing gum on the sidewalk to be stepped on.  Yesterday, I stepped on a large wad of gum while waiting for the bus.  I was able to scrape off a large amount of the gum with a plastic knife, but a fair amount remains.  Any recommendations on how to best remove the remaining gum would be much appreciated.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IIRC the best way is to freeze the object on which the gum is stuck and then scrape off the residue. I have no idea what affect freezing will have on your shoes.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I seem to remember somebody telling me that nail polish remover would work. However, I won't swear by this method and have never tried it. On the other hand, given that this is the sole of your shoe, you can probably try it without worrying about damaging the look or finish of the shoe.

A razor knife would probably work, but I imagine you'd want to be careful about not poking a hole in the sole (or yourself).

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Easy -- RESOLE IT.
smile.gif
Freezing apparently works, but you may have taken off enough of the gum to make this solution a non-solution. Try the nail polish remover. It won't hurt the soles.

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have always rubbed ice across the gum until it hardens, it makes scraping it off much easier.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I had perused this thread this morning. This very night when I removed my Allen-Edmonds Kingsleys, I saw to my horror that I had a huge wad of blue-green gum affixed to the sole of one shoe. This is the second time in the recent past that I have stepped in gum with an almost-new leather-soled A-E. I was insane with rage. I bellowed so violently I even terrified my ferocious Japanese fighting dog. Gum chewing is detestable at best. As for people who spit gum onto streets, if they are very small children, they should be beaten within an inch of their life to teach them a good lesson. If they have attained the age of reason, they should be terminated with extreme prejudice.
devil.gif
Anyway, I scraped most of the gum off with a dull knife. I then used paper towels soaked in rubbing alcohol to remove the rest. Paper towels are fairly abrasive, and using the wet and dry paper towels I got the rest of the horrid stuff off without too much difficulty. I then rubbed A-E leather conditioner on the afflicted area to offset the leaching effect of the alcohol. The sole was restored virtually to its prior state.

brescd01

Reaction score
For once, you are all completely wrong. By far the easiest way is to use the product Googon, available in most hardware stores and supermarkets.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
...if they are very small children, they should be beaten within an inch of their life to teach them a good lesson. If they have attained the age of reason, they should be terminated with extreme prejudice.
Wow, I though Linux_Pro was back for a minute.
biggrin.gif

Cliff

Reaction score
Interesting, I had perused this thread this morning. This very night when I removed my Allen-Edmonds Kingsleys, I saw to my horror that I had a huge wad of blue-green gum affixed to the sole of one shoe. This is the second time in the recent past that I have stepped in gum with an almost-new leather-soled A-E. I was insane with rage. I bellowed so violently I even terrified my ferocious Japanese fighting dog. Gum chewing is detestable at best. As for people who spit gum onto streets, if they are very small children, they should be beaten within an inch of their life to teach them a good lesson. If they have attained the age of reason, they should be terminated with extreme prejudice. Â
devil.gif
Anyway, I scraped most of the gum off with a dull knife. I then used paper towels soaked in rubbing alcohol to remove the rest. Paper towels are fairly abrasive, and using the wet and dry paper towels I got the rest of the horrid stuff off without too much difficulty. I then rubbed A-E leather conditioner on the afflicted area to offset the leaching effect of the alcohol. The sole was restored virtually to its prior state.
Gum chewers wear baseball hats. Â
crazy.gif

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(JLibourel @ May 11 2005,22:12) Interesting, I had perused this thread this morning. This very night when I removed my Allen-Edmonds Kingsleys, I saw to my horror that I had a huge wad of blue-green gum affixed to the sole of one shoe. This is the second time in the recent past that I have stepped in gum with an almost-new leather-soled A-E. I was insane with rage. I bellowed so violently I even terrified my ferocious Japanese fighting dog. Gum chewing is detestable at best. As for people who spit gum onto streets, if they are very small children, they should be beaten within an inch of their life to teach them a good lesson. If they have attained the age of reason, they should be terminated with extreme prejudice. Â
devil.gif
Gum chewers wear baseball hats. Â
crazy.gif

Unless they're female.
wink.gif
Nothing used to turn me off faster than seeing an otherwise attractive young woman masticating a wad of gum like some witless cow chewing her cud.
mad.gif

WJTW

Reaction score
Thank goodness gum is banned in Singapore (except special ones used to 'cure' smokers).
smile.gif
But there are still other hazards like mud and sand in the various construction sites around. WJTW

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics