• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guilty of Bad Dress?

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://tinyurl.com/zj4md

All joking aside (he dressed much better in other pictures), there is real research showing that the appearance of the accused influences whether or not he (or she) is convicted.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant.com
http://tinyurl.com/zj4mdAll joking aside (he dressed much better in other pictures), there is real research showing that the appearance of the accused influences whether or not he (or she) is convicted.
Can you give us some research citations? Maybe from the forensic or social psychology literature? Also, given your screen moniker, can you tell us how a person gets to become a "men's image consultant"?

mbc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger
Also, given your screen moniker, can you tell us how a person gets to become a "men's image consultant"?
I would imagine it's the same way you get to be any other kind of consultant.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mbc
I would imagine it's the same way you get to be any other kind of consultant.
And how is that? Trade school? Years of experience in the field? BA/BSc plus experience? MBA? PhD? You can be a management consultant with a BA/BSc in business, maybe less--maybe just management experience--but you can't be a psychological consultant (at least where I live) without a PhD. Every kind of consultancy is different in the preparation and experience needed to be credible and in some cases licensed!

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Attractiveness and convictions.

This one is a quote from a website:
One of these is the attractiveness of the defendant. Darby and Jeffers (????) found that defendants that are more attractive are convicted less often and punished less severely, since the jurors see them as being more trustworthy and happier. The jurors' own attractiveness interplays with this effect. Unattractive jurors punish unattractive defendants less severely, since they feel they have something in common, while all jurors seem to favor attractive defendants (Darby & Jeffers, ????). In effect, this makes moderately attractive defendants the most vulnerable to severe sentences. But this is not any different from a judge's decision, as they are also affected by the attractiveness of the defendant (Downs & Lyons, 1991).

Here is a link to a study:
http://web.sbu.edu/psychology/lavin/tracie.htm

It's safe to say that all such studies (and there are many) have flaws with regard to clothing. In real cases, experimenters can't ethically test, for example, by playing around with color and fit.

How to become an image consultant isn't as simple as some presume. The answer is going to require a little time and probably its own thread.

aybojs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant.com
How to become an image consultant isn't as simple as some presume. The answer is going to require a little time and probably its own thread.

Please start one when you have the time to do so. I think a lot of us would find it very insightful, since the workings of the business, particularly the more image-oriented fashion end, seem very inaccessible to your average clothing hobbyist, and it would be well worth reading.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger
Every kind of consultancy is different in the preparation and experience needed to be credible and in some cases licensed!

I don't believe that there are any regulatory bodies(federal, state of local) whose scope includes the licensing of image consultants. If there were, disciplinary action most certainly would have already been taken against the plethora of celebrity "stylists" who routinely engage in malpractice. See any award show.

That said, over the years I've met some very knowledgeable haberdashers who I would have entrusted with the management of my sartorial persona had it been required.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want no laughter here. This is serious business.

How to become a shirt consultant isn't as simple as some presume. The answer is going to require a little time and probably its own thread.

I shall get to work on that as soon as I finish polishing my pimp shoes.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kabbaz? Never heard of you. You do shirts or do you merely consult with people about their shirts?

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kabbaz? Never heard of you. You do shirts or do you merely consult with people about their shirts?
Oh, neither. I just heard you can make gobs of money as a consultant. Shirts seemed easy enough. Either they're buttoned ... or they're not. Buttoned is better. Get a white and a blue and you're all set. Or one like your avatar which combines the best of both!

So where do I send my bill?

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alexander Kabbaz

You may send it to:

403 Abrahams Path Box 594
Amagansett, NY 11930-0594

smile.gif

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gorgekko
You may send it to:

403 Abrahams Path Box 594
Amagansett, NY 11930-0594

smile.gif

Dang it all! I though consultants were supposed to remain anonymous. My bad.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alexander Kabbaz
Oh, neither. I just heard you can make gobs of money as a consultant. Shirts seemed easy enough. Either they're buttoned ... or they're not. Buttoned is better. Get a white and a blue and you're all set. Or one like your avatar which combines the best of both!

Strongly disagree. Unbuttoned is way better. Otherwise, the shirt covers the gold chain and the incredibly manly chest hair! Moreover, shirt ought be short sleeved and as tight as possible in the arms to show off the 19" guns with the appropriate tats.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Man there's a lot of unwarrented animosity here. Let's please settle down, guys.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads