1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Guilty of Bad Dress?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mensimageconsultant, Apr 6, 2006.

1. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Distinguished Member

http://tinyurl.com/zj4md

All joking aside (he dressed much better in other pictures), there is real research showing that the appearance of the accused influences whether or not he (or she) is convicted.

2. Roger

Roger Distinguished Member

http://tinyurl.com/zj4mdAll joking aside (he dressed much better in other pictures), there is real research showing that the appearance of the accused influences whether or not he (or she) is convicted.
    Can you give us some research citations? Maybe from the forensic or social psychology literature? Also, given your screen moniker, can you tell us how a person gets to become a "men's image consultant"?

3. mbc

mbc Senior Member

Also, given your screen moniker, can you tell us how a person gets to become a "men's image consultant"?
    I would imagine it's the same way you get to be any other kind of consultant.

4. Roger

Roger Distinguished Member

I would imagine it's the same way you get to be any other kind of consultant.
    And how is that? Trade school? Years of experience in the field? BA/BSc plus experience? MBA? PhD? You can be a management consultant with a BA/BSc in business, maybe less--maybe just management experience--but you can't be a psychological consultant (at least where I live) without a PhD. Every kind of consultancy is different in the preparation and experience needed to be credible and in some cases licensed!

5. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Distinguished Member

Attractiveness and convictions.

This one is a quote from a website:
    One of these is the attractiveness of the defendant. Darby and Jeffers (????) found that defendants that are more attractive are convicted less often and punished less severely, since the jurors see them as being more trustworthy and happier. The jurors' own attractiveness interplays with this effect. Unattractive jurors punish unattractive defendants less severely, since they feel they have something in common, while all jurors seem to favor attractive defendants (Darby & Jeffers, ????). In effect, this makes moderately attractive defendants the most vulnerable to severe sentences. But this is not any different from a judge's decision, as they are also affected by the attractiveness of the defendant (Downs & Lyons, 1991).

Here is a link to a study:
    http://web.sbu.edu/psychology/lavin/tracie.htm

It's safe to say that all such studies (and there are many) have flaws with regard to clothing. In real cases, experimenters can't ethically test, for example, by playing around with color and fit.

How to become an image consultant isn't as simple as some presume. The answer is going to require a little time and probably its own thread.

6. aybojs

aybojs Senior Member

How to become an image consultant isn't as simple as some presume. The answer is going to require a little time and probably its own thread.

Please start one when you have the time to do so. I think a lot of us would find it very insightful, since the workings of the business, particularly the more image-oriented fashion end, seem very inaccessible to your average clothing hobbyist, and it would be well worth reading.

7. Tomasso

Tomasso Distinguished Member

Every kind of consultancy is different in the preparation and experience needed to be credible and in some cases licensed!

I don't believe that there are any regulatory bodies(federal, state of local) whose scope includes the licensing of image consultants. If there were, disciplinary action most certainly would have already been taken against the plethora of celebrity "stylists" who routinely engage in malpractice. See any award show.

That said, over the years I've met some very knowledgeable haberdashers who I would have entrusted with the management of my sartorial persona had it been required.

8. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Distinguished Member

9. Alexander Kabbaz

I want no laughter here. This is serious business.

How to become a shirt consultant isn't as simple as some presume. The answer is going to require a little time and probably its own thread.

I shall get to work on that as soon as I finish polishing my pimp shoes.

10. gorgekko

gorgekko Distinguished Member

Kabbaz? Never heard of you. You do shirts or do you merely consult with people about their shirts?

11. Alexander Kabbaz

Oh, neither. I just heard you can make gobs of money as a consultant. Shirts seemed easy enough. Either they're buttoned ... or they're not. Buttoned is better. Get a white and a blue and you're all set. Or one like your avatar which combines the best of both!

So where do I send my bill?

12. gorgekko

gorgekko Distinguished Member

You may send it to:

403 Abrahams Path Box 594
    Amagansett, NY 11930-0594

[​IMG]

13. Alexander Kabbaz

You may send it to:

403 Abrahams Path Box 594
    Amagansett, NY 11930-0594

[​IMG]

Dang it all! I though consultants were supposed to remain anonymous. My bad.

14. marc237

marc237 Distinguished Member

Oh, neither. I just heard you can make gobs of money as a consultant. Shirts seemed easy enough. Either they're buttoned ... or they're not. Buttoned is better. Get a white and a blue and you're all set. Or one like your avatar which combines the best of both!

Strongly disagree. Unbuttoned is way better. Otherwise, the shirt covers the gold chain and the incredibly manly chest hair! Moreover, shirt ought be short sleeved and as tight as possible in the arms to show off the 19" guns with the appropriate tats.

15. Teacher

Teacher Stylish Dinosaur

Man there's a lot of unwarrented animosity here. Let's please settle down, guys.