• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guides to spotting fake Hugo Boss & Armani suit

johnpemberton

Reaction score

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The members of SF, myself included are not very big fans of Armani or Boss!

But neither am I a fan of anyone getting ripped off.

Your guides are very well done and will certainly serve a purpose.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good intention. But I question a number of your statements:
Assume any New / BNWT Armani suit is FAKE
How to find a fake Armani suit - well its easy - just do an advance search, with the words "Armani suit" and tick the box "new" and you will be presented with a few pages of suits - all of them are fakes.
This just makes no sense at all, and seems like a cheap shot at your competition if you ask me... I know a number of very trustworthy sellers who sell NWT Armani suits on eBay. Current examples include:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Armani-Collezion...QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/NWT-1545-GIORGIO...QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/2125-NWT-ARMANI-...QQcmdZViewItem

Inner Jacket Lining - fakes have the "Giorgio Armani" or "GA" logo plastered all over the lining - Armani never do this...they are a subtle brand, they dont need to write their name all over it.
Several "subtle" brands of clothing far better made than Armani have logo linings (e.g. Gianluca Isaia)

strazzaque

Reaction score
Hey'vryone,
I'm new and was unaware of any ill-disposition towards Hugo Boss on this board until rnoldh spoke up.

I don't share this disdain, but am interested in harnessing your knowledge, John. Could these tags be fake? (ref attachment)

The black Hugo Boss label seems authentic, although I am uncertain of the other 2. One of them is probably a third party manufacturer tag.

I look forward to your observations. The suit in question is an Alann/Grant combo, cotton, and being scouted by a friend. I've been charged with keeping the spend reasonable ("You paid HOW MUCH!?" etc etc)

Avers

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203

This just makes no sense at all, and seems like a cheap shot at your competition if you ask me... I know a number of very trustworthy sellers who sell NWT Armani suits on eBay. Current examples include:

Several "subtle" brands of clothing far better made than Armani have logo linings (e.g. Gianluca Isaia)

I agree this makes little sense.

Currently I have a pair of brand new Armani pants whis I bought at the store and will be selling as they don't fit me well. Pants are brand new with all tags attached.

Going with johnpemberton's logic these pants should be deemed FAKES...

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by strazzaque
Hey'vryone,
I'm new and was unaware of any ill-disposition towards Hugo Boss on this board until rnoldh spoke up.

I don't share this disdain, but am interested in harnessing your knowledge, John. Could these tags be fake? (ref attachment)

The black Hugo Boss label seems authentic, although I am uncertain of the other 2. One of them is probably a third party manufacturer tag.

I look forward to your observations. The suit in question is an Alann/Grant combo, cotton, and being scouted by a friend. I've been charged with keeping the spend reasonable ("You paid HOW MUCH!?" etc etc)

The labels are authentic. The Boss label is from the inside right chest, the skinny label is from the collar, and the third label indicates that the fabric is milled by Solbiati and is of 100% cotton.

Zubberah

Reaction score
Even Kiton and Brioni have logo linings. I also ha[ppen to believe the old Gianni Versace Couture's embroidered bemberg medusa logo lining (suits made by Zegna and fully canvassed) in stunning gold, silver, navy, etc are truly beautiful. This doesn't hold for Donatelle'a new Versace Couture label and changed (bland) lining.

Mani as "formalwear"? Not sure what you mean here but Mani was cheap 3rd rate rubbish a few years ago and I believe was cut out? It was certainly below Le Collezione.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How to find a fake Armani suit - well its easy - just do an advance search, with the words "Armani suit" and tick the box "new" and you will be presented with a few pages of suits - all of them are fakes.
I decided to test your assertion. I ran a search as you decribed and looked at the first 50 suits that came up. 12 were fake. That is not a great record and does show that caution is needed when buying NWT Armani suits. But it is a far cry from the blanket statement you are making. I think that so much in your guides is wrong that they should be withdrawn. Keep the label pictures up though, they are useful.

johnpemberton

Reaction score
The 2x Hugo Boss labels are genuine - in Europe obviously one does not see the "Make in USA" label, but it is genuine (obvioulsy on US made suits). Not sure about the other label.

John.

Originally Posted by strazzaque
Hey'vryone,

johnpemberton

Reaction score
Thanks for your kind comments. I have started with the more mass market brands that most ebay users tends to buy and get ripped off with! I am looking at writing guides aimed at the more couture brands...but these tend not to get ripped off...as there is less demand for them from the mass market!!

Originally Posted by rnoldh
The members of SF, myself included are not very big fans of Armani or Boss!

But neither am I a fan of anyone getting ripped off.

Your guides are very well done and will certainly serve a purpose.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well considering regular Armani and especially Boss are a ripp-off, it's sad to get ripped off even further. I hear there are alot of Turkish Versace suits on ebay that are complete junk.

johnpemberton

Reaction score
The reason I opened the guide up to scrutiny, is so that it can be improved. I have spent many hours researching & writing them. There are more people selling fakes than genuine items, but I agree some of my messages could be toned down.

My "competition" are the bastards who sell fakes....OK many of the people on SF won't be conned, but many people have been conned on ebay, and it lowers the prices of genuine items....which does not just affect me...it also affects the guys you mention selling genuine goods (who I see as my colleagues!).

I take yours and other comments in, and appreciate the sentiments you make.

The guides will evolve.

John.
Originally Posted by gdl203

johnpemberton

Reaction score
I think either you misunderstanding my guide. I dont profess ALL BNWT Armani items to be fake. My guides are specifically written on suits....MOST BNWT suits on eBay.co.uk are fake....FACT

If you take time to read the guides, you will see that I mention the importance of taking good quality close-ups of tags, labels etc. The fakers dont do this...
John.

goods
Originally Posted by Avers

Currently I have a pair of brand new Armani pants whis I bought at the store and will be selling as they don't fit me well. Pants are brand new with all tags attached.

johnpemberton

Reaction score
Thanks for running this test. When I did it, all BNWT Armani suits on page 1 (around 20) were fake, or suspect...hence the statement.

If anybody can find an Armani suit (BNWT) with poor photography, no close-ups, poor descriptions, from sellers with little or no history I will eat my hat....I think you will find it impossible....as either the seller is dumb, blind or both!

No, the guides are not being removed - they will evolve.

If anybody has any more pics of fakes and genuine labels - email them to me, and I will add them to the guide....esp pics of older more vintage items. Thanks inadvance for your time in doing this.

John.

Originally Posted by A Harris
I decided to test your assertion. I ran a search as you decribed and looked at the first 50 suits that came up. 12 were fake. That is not a great record and does show that caution is needed when buying NWT Armani suits. But it is a far cry from the blanket statement you are making. I think that so much in your guides is wrong that they should be withdrawn. Keep the label pictures up though, they are useful.

johnpemberton

Reaction score
I stand by this statement....unless someone can prove me wrong. I have never seen a genuine Armani suit with their name plastered all over the lining....

Yes I am aware that other brands do do this - Jaeger, Dior, Daks are some i have seen....but not Armani.

Originally Posted by Avers

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads