• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guide to Wet Shaving

Cognacad

Reaction score
Right now I have another keyboard hooked up so it is not as bad. I actually found someone on this forum that might sell me his Macbook Keyboard! haha

This morning I went for shave number 4. Going downwards on the neck causes some cuts and alot of hair is missed. Tomorrow I will go upwards (which is usually quite smooth with this razor) first and see how it works. My hair grows diagonally so this will get a bit closer and will hopefully be smooth.

Thanks for your help so far.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If your hair grows diagonally, then up to down, and down to up are not going to be your with the grain/ against the grain passes.

Feel the direction that your beard grows in, shave toward that direction first pass, against on the second. If that means it's side to side rather than up to down, so be it.

And keep at it, don't give up. The neck is by far the hardest part to shave, but it comes to you with some experience. When shaving my neck I have to give it the most delicate touch imaginable.

And, if you can't get the errant hairs off your neck in two passes....please don't keep going at it! Better to leave a bit of stubble no one is going to notice anyway, than give yourself razor burn or cuts that will make you put off shaving for a few days.

imhotep

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any well-performing synthetic brushes? The idea of the Chinese (with their record of upstanding treatment of animals) skinning badgers so that I can get a few microns off my facial hair, doesn't appeal to me. I have found the man-u synthetic brush that is said to be pretty good... but it's also about $55
plain.gif

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Unfortunately the synthetic brushes are even worse than boar hair.

Cognacad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
If your hair grows diagonally, then up to down, and down to up are not going to be your with the grain/ against the grain passes.

Feel the direction that your beard grows in, shave toward that direction first pass, against on the second. If that means it's side to side rather than up to down, so be it.

And keep at it, don't give up. The neck is by far the hardest part to shave, but it comes to you with some experience. When shaving my neck I have to give it the most delicate touch imaginable.

And, if you can't get the errant hairs off your neck in two passes....please don't keep going at it! Better to leave a bit of stubble no one is going to notice anyway, than give yourself razor burn or cuts that will make you put off shaving for a few days.

Well.going.diagonally.tends.to.be.pretty.brutal.to.me.and.ends.in.major.cuts.

So.I.will.try.going.up.first.which.will.be.close.enough.and.hopefully.not.much.cutting.

Stay.tuneD!!

theincumbent

Reaction score
Requesting advice on my wetshave:

Currently using a Merkur 34C with the Merkur blades.

I am very happy with the whole setup, but I am finding that the shave is
not quite as close as I'd prefer. What brand of blades would be best to
go from the Merkur to something sharper?

Economy is key.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Feather blades are the sharpest.

ulim

Reaction score
Originally Posted by theincumbent
Requesting advice on my wetshave: Currently using a Merkur 34C with the Merkur blades. I am very happy with the whole setup, but I am finding that the shave is not quite as close as I'd prefer. What brand of blades would be best to go from the Merkur to something sharper? Economy is key.
Feathers are the sharpest, but I suggest you gradually increase the sharpness of your blades until you figure out the brand/sharpness that gives you the closest shave without any irritation. If you are starting with the Merkur blades, try Derby, Gillette Platinums, then the Feathers. I would also take another look at your shaving technique and pre-shave preparation, since I think these probably affect the closeness of the shave the most.

Cognacad

Reaction score
Does the lengthof the hair seriously affect the shave? I cut myself still quite a bit but it is after roughly 2-3 days without shaving. Would it be better if I shaved every day or second day? I think it would increase irritation, but maybe its different with DE razors.

Helix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I shave every day or every other day unless I'm having a lazy week where I feel like looking scruffy but when I do let it grow a bit I don't notice any increase in irritation at all. In fact it is usually an easier shave. Could be because the longer facial hair is the softer it gets or maybe because I subconsciously soak the hair for longer to soften it but I don't actually notice the extra length when i'm shaving up to a week's growth so maybe you're pressing a bit thinking that you need to compensate. If its any help I use derby blades and an HD. Feathers for me are just asking to look like I got into a fight with a samurai cat after which my neck decided to grow an in-fro.

Cognacad

Reaction score
I have the Merkur blade that came with the razor, but I have 100 derby blades waiting on me.

maybe they will do a better job. Time will tell.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I actually had a really good shave this morning. The trick seems to be to use a bit less water in my mixture and to start shaving only a few seconds after I apply the shaving cream. My first pass is almost perfect (I still can't do multiple passes without consequences, though).

Cavalier

Reaction score
Merkur blades have a pretty bad rap.

Right now I have a decent stable; wing tip, fat boy, slim (incredibly mint+++, don't ever keep this one in the bathroom or shave with it), and a 40's SS black tip. (If anyone has any interest in any of them let me know, I usually just shave with the black tip)

Feathers are excellent, as well as Derbys.

Investing in a nice badger brush is a good call. I am still using free ones from Art of Shaving and I can tell they are crap.

I had a few shaves with Merkurs before going to Feathers-- there's no reason to start with Merkurs IMO. Go straight to Derbys. If you have an adjustable (fat boy or slim), be careful going to aggressive with the Feathers. I turned my fat boy all the way up (first shave with it) with a feather and got a nasty ingrown hair (looks like a pimple).

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Weishi is Chinese crap. Why not get a Merkur? No offense to the Chinese obviously, but quality control and precise engineering are two things I don't mind paying a premium for in a razor!

From my experience its quality is close to Merkur without the premium.

btw, using King Gillette razor from 1910.
tongue.gif

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After running out of the Derby blades that came with my Vision 2000 I did some research and bought 100 BlueBirds off the bay for $18. After 7 shaves I'm still on the 1st blade. Can't say much for consistency yet but I'm mightily impressed with this blade.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads