• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guide to Wet Shaving

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Stop looking on Amazon man. There are places to order a HD from in Canada. Check the shaving forums. If you get that 34C the open comb will tear you up.

aoluffy

Reaction score
daammmn i think i bought the 34c from amazon.
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
this one fine right? http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/..._ya_oh_product

Cognacad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Stop looking on Amazon man. There are places to order a HD from in Canada. Check the shaving forums. If you get that 34C the open comb will tear you up.

The 34C is the HD. I read around and compared to model number and its the same. Also, any place other than amazon is like 20$ more.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cognacad
The 34C is the HD. I read around and compared to model number and its the same. Also, any place other than amazon is like 20$ more.

Ahh, gotcha. Well, make sure you didn't order the open toothed one then. Think you'll be happy with it!

Cognacad

Reaction score
If I am wrong I will post pictures of my face full of blood and you can laugh at me!

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hows that razor working out for you?

I have a cheap badger brush and bowl but always used crappy williams soap at walmart. Well I just bought some nice shaving cream and shaving soap from our affiliate the other day and its great.

Woke up today, showered and spent about 20 minutes prepping and shaving - did 2 passes and my face feels like a baby. Quite a lovely start to the day.

I used a mach 3 but wonder if a DE would be much better? I have a rough spot on my neck where my lymph nodes are that always gets irritated or never fully shaved, so anything would help.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19
I used a mach 3 but wonder if a DE would be much better? I have a rough spot on my neck where my lymph nodes are that always gets irritated or never fully shaved, so anything would help.

The neck is the toughest place to shave man. A DE is better, but it requires skill to use, unlike a cartridge razor. Should you get one, expect the shaves on your neck to start out bad, but progressively get better. At least that's what I experienced. It's a matter of developing the right technique and "touch". Once you get the hang of it though, a DE is going to beat that M3 all to hell.

I'd also avoid avoid DE razors like the 50s-70s era Gillette Superspeeds and Ranger Tech. They are pretty damn aggressive (the 40s era SS is wonderful though).

Of course, most are going to get a Merkur HD, but I love old Gillettes and collect them so I have a bit more experience and knowledge with Gillette rather than Merkur. Still, that being said, I have gotten my best shaves ever with a Merkur Futur, the only Merkur I still own.

I can't help but think, if I had listened to my own advice and got an HD from the beginning, I would probably have been happy with it and not developed a bad case of Razor Acquisition Disorder to try out as many different ones as I could.
smile.gif

Cognacad

Reaction score
OK. So I got the Merkur HD and used it last night. Was pretty good. Did it before I showered so that I could wipe the blood off :p.

I washed my face and put a wet hot cloth on my neck (only place I shaved I have a beard) for a few minutes then lathered with soap. I went downwards the first time around without applying any pressure at all. I was a bit disappointed with the closeness. There was no bleeding which is good. I went upwards against the grain (applied more soap) without any pressure and was still not pleased with the smoothness and closeness. So I did what every guide tells me not to, I went against and applied pressure. Very close shave ! Lots of blood and irritation too!

I have two questions now:
1. Never apply pressure right?
2. At what angle should I be holding the razor? I noticed that I can tilt it significantly with the head of the razor almost against my skin or the opposite.

Sorry for bad typing keyboard is messed up.

pinchi22

Reaction score
1 Apply very light pressure, at least for the first 2-3 weeks. The weight of the razor alone, which is heavier than a plastic cartridge, should be about 90% of what you need. After a month or so, you´ll be a pro and may want to apply a little bit more pressure.

2. Shoot for a 30% angle. Lower that a bit if you cut yourself, raise it to, say, 40% if you feel comfortable. You want to reduce the stuble, not get a baby skin close shave, on the first pass. So, even at a 30% or so angle, you´re going to get a close shave on the second pass. Try going across your face instead of against the grain on the second pass.

Cognacad

Reaction score
Ok. So I just went for shave #2. Better than the first I would say. First pass though is really bad (downwards on the neck). Lots of hair left over little patches here and there (since I can't press and get right in there) and it is generally not very close.

I then went upwards. Some glides I noticed were very smooth and I was very pleased! Very close and easy. Some others though were really bad and I could feel each individual heat getting caught on the blade it felt like. I will keep trying.

Also, when you were talking about degrees, did you mean I was more likely to cut if I held the razors TOP closest to my face or the razor's side (i.e. where the blade is). I think if I hold the top closer to my face the angle is steeper, so I am more likely to get cut, or is it the opposite?

Cognacad

Reaction score
Wow.You.are.huge.into.wet.shaving!

(sorry.spacebar.broke)

Cognacad

Reaction score
How.many.shaves.should.I.expect.per.blade?

Thanks!

Smudge

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Advill
i'm huge into wetshaving, have been for ages. here is just a part of my collection.

this was my set up a while ago, it's grown by 4 razors and a ton of new creams now though.

v6oojq.jpg

96yzkj.jpg

213ec5.jpg

168yizd.jpg

2ql678j.jpg

20p4lub.jpg

30c87qh.jpg

and a Merkur HD which isn't pictured.

Nice collection, Advill. How do you find the Tabac cream (soap?)? I use DR Harris Lavander soap at the moment and am pretty happy with that but have heard great things about Tabac on www.Baderandblade.com

Smudge

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cognacad
How.many.shaves.should.I.expect.per.blade?

Thanks!

Change blades once you start feeling it tugging, or better still just before
smile.gif
According to B&B 5-6 shaves in pretty usual but depends on your beard, how hard your press, etc etc etc. Hope this helps (and your keyboard is fixed soon!)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads