• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guide to suit quality 1949

CrimsonSox

Reaction score
This is a fascinating guide to the quality of different full-canvas suits, published in 1949 by the U.S. government. It also has a guide to fabrics on pages 6-7. Fused suits make no appearance in this volume. You can read the book here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=rx...ce=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

Some interesting observations: hand-made buttonholes are often identified today by their rough appearance on the non-facing side. The guide points out that the best hand-made buttonholes should be finished smoothly on both sides (doubling the work and expense for the tailor).

Not all canvases are made the same:

The quality of a coat front:

For the rest of the book: http://books.google.com/books?id=rx...ce=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why was the US Government involving itself in such things?

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Why was the US Government involving itself in such things?

Harry Truman was in office. Who happened to be a haberdasher and a fan of industrial policy. Coincidence? I think not.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wonder how many makers on that tedious SF suit hierarchy have mid or low grade canvas. (Had no idea some could be cotton/burlap)

vida

Reaction score
Very cool CrimSox...how did you come across this?

jrd617: "I wonder how many makers on that tedious SF suit hierarchy have mid or low grade canvas. (Had no idea some could be cotton/burlap)"

I would love to know this also. I recall Jeffrey d stating that some half canvassed suits are better than poorly made canvas versions. Just saying...

CrimsonSox

Reaction score
Thank you Carl. I've always enjoyed and learned from your posts on the art of the dress shirt, so I was happy to contribute something helpful.

That's a good question Vida. I was trying to find out more about the quality of suits from the first half of the 20th century. A friend once commented that when he saw a Scholte suit from the 1930s, it was sewn incredibly finely, to a level that would be unheard of today. Foster & Son in their thread make a similar remark about how the density of the stitching in shoes was far higher a century ago. So that made me curious to learn more about the quality of suits from that time. It's surprisingly difficult to find sources on that question, but the book above was one of the first that turned up.

A bit of inspiration -- hand-tailoring at Henry Poole during World War II:

Last edited:

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link!

You know the picture of the tailors sitting on the tables reminded me of a conversation I had with Rory Duffy. He mentioned that back in the old days, the boys stricken with polio would be trained as tailors so they could make a living. So it is possible that some tailor traditions, such as sitting on the table like that, arose from people who were unable to stand or walk.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thanks for the link!

You know the picture of the tailors sitting on the tables reminded me of a conversation I had with Rory Duffy. He mentioned that back in the old days, the boys stricken with polio would be trained as tailors so they could make a living. So it is possible that some tailor traditions, such as sitting on the table like that, arose from people who were unable to stand or walk.

that is an interesting point.
I knew of an English tailor who worked at Catania clothing at 85 fifth ave.(a building that was filled with tailors, clothing fatories, and rack jobbers of suits)
John curran had one leg that was about 5" shorter then the other. He was the fastest tailor I have ever seen.
fueled by coffee and cigarettes
he could make a jacket in a day and a good one!!!,

CrimsonSox

Reaction score
It looks like tailors have been sitting cross-legged while sewing for some time. This is a painting from 1780:

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a leg muscle called the sartorius muscle (ie the tailors muscle) because it is the muscle believed to let a person cross his legs. So the association between tailors and crossed legs must have been around for a long time.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

He mentioned that back in the old days, the boys stricken with polio would be trained as tailors so they could make a living. So it is possible that some tailor traditions, such as sitting on the table like that, arose from people who were unable to stand or walk.

It seems somewhat unlikely. As has been noted, the tradition dates back centuries. Thing is, polio was a rare disease prior to the 20th century. (Indeed, the history of how polio went, almost overnight, from being a disease of virtually no significance to society, to one which frightened entire nations, is a fascinating one.) And of those few boys who were stricken with polio, only a fraction of 1% wound up unable to sit in a chair or on a bench or stool. (Chairs were enormously less common historically than were benches and stools.)

It just seems like a bit of a reach to hypothesize that a tradition which can be reasonably explained in other ways, owes its origin to such limited factors.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads