• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guide to Semi-Casual Style

DeusExa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by malefic
Well if you have no specific criteria you can go to town. Take some exact measurements of things that fit you so you can buy things that will suit you without alterations and then check the B&S forum (or eBay, or SuFu, or your local Nordstrom Rack/Off 5th Ave/whatever) for something that appeals to you.

You have some idea of what you want, clearly, since you posted those photos of things that you liked, so just browse around and look for some items that you can afford and will fit you.

Then buy them.

fistbump.gif

What would you define that look as? If I'm asking (older) friends for advice, what can I mention? Semi-Casual is all I pretty much can come up with.

Also, are there any guides that focus on this area? The ones I've seen (Flusser, etc) are mostly hinged on formal wear (tuxes, suits, etc.)

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DeusExa
What would you define that look as? If I'm asking (older) friends for advice, what can I mention? Semi-Casual is all I pretty much can come up with.

Also, are there any guides that focus on this area? The ones I've seen (Flusser, etc) are mostly hinged on formal wear (tuxes, suits, etc.)

Business casual.

But even so, the best guide is WAYWRN. Take a look.

DeusExa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
Business casual. But even so, the best guide is WAYWRN. Take a look.
WAYWRN? Care to explain a bit? Also, I would like an idea of what the better brands I should be looking at, were my budget to be around $75-150 for a shirt, sweater, cardigan, etc. (business casual/semi-formal?).

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

bubbleboys

Reaction score
WAYWRN? Care to explain a bit?

Also, I would like an idea of what the better brands I should be looking at, were my budget to be around $75-150 for a shirt, sweater, cardigan, etc. (business casual/semi-formal?).

For shirts, I'm a big fan of Charles Tyrwhitt and their slim fit shirts. They're on sale now for like $50 a shirt.

DeusExa

Reaction score
Also, I'm looking for dress shirts - restocking the wardrobe (and since the shots I posted all have a dress shirt foundation). Anything great ~$50-100 range? In black/grey/navy/steel-blue/burgundy, in solid or striped. Mostly paired with a sweater/cardigan/vest. I like a modern, sharp look.
In short, it looks like it's a dress shirt paired under a sweater/cardigan/vest that I'm going for. Any suggestions on pairing?

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, I'm looking for dress shirts (since the shots I posted all have a dress shirt foundation). Anything great ~$50-100 range? Prefer black, grey, navy, steel-blue, burgundy in solid or striped.
Don't do this, especially not black, navy, burgundy, brown, etc. Most kosher for a beginning wardrobe:
  • white
  • blue
  • white base with tasteful stripes
  • blue base with tasteful stripes
  • white base check
  • blue base check
  • pink
Take a look at Charles Tyrwhitt for some ideas.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bubbleboys
For shirts, I'm a big fan of Charles Tyrwhitt and their slim fit shirts. They're on sale now for like $50 a shirt.

If you are lucky, you can find some for $30ish.

DeusExa

Reaction score
Don't do this, especially not black, navy, burgundy, brown, etc.

Most kosher for a beginning wardrobe:
  • white
  • blue
  • white base with tasteful stripes
  • blue base with tasteful stripes
  • white base check
  • blue base check
  • pink

Take a look at Charles Tyrwhitt for some ideas.

Took a look at their site - it's online only? based in UK). How would you compare them to i.e. Boss, etc, same price range?

Pink? No Navy or Black? Could you explain? Thanks.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Took a look at their site - it's online only? based in UK). How would you compare them to i.e. Boss, etc, same price range?

Pink? No Navy or Black? Could you explain? Thanks.

Online only in the US. Shirts are a good buy at less than $60. They run eternal sales.

Navy and black are generally inappropriate for dress shirts (as are any dark colors a la eggplant, hunter green, brown, bright red, etc). They're casual shirts. If you're looking for the business-casual look, keep it simple with whites and blues.

DeusExa

Reaction score
Online only in the US. Shirts are a good buy at less than $60. They run eternal sales. Navy and black are generally inappropriate for dress shirts (as are any dark colors a la eggplant, hunter green, brown, bright red, etc). They're casual shirts. If you're looking for the business-casual look, keep it simple with whites and blues.
Actually, that was what I was looking for - not really business casual - sorry if I introduced some confusion. The dress code at events are mostly semi-casual. Navy or black shirts I see mostly, actually (pretty much anything that doesn't stand out like purple, bright red, etc - the events are mostly in their 20-30s, those in the tech or media industry. generally chill and laid-back). Dining/occasions with friends/acquaintances are even more casual. So you'd say Tyrwhitt would compare to Boss, etc?

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, that was what I was looking for - not really business casual - sorry if I introduced some confusion. The dress code at events are mostly semi-casual. Blue or black shirts I see mostly, actually. (the events are mostly in their 20-30s, those in the tech or media industry. generally chill and laid-back). Dining/occasions with friends/acquaintances are even more casual.

So you'd say Tyrwhitt would compare to Boss, etc?

As a matter of taste and fashion, I would shy away from dark shirts like that anyway, even if they are the norm in the tech/media industry (whose members are not known for their dressing skills).

Boss ≠ quality. I would buy CT or Brooks Brothers over a Boss any day. Especially since both CT and BB are cheaper.

DeusExa

Reaction score
Thanks for the pointers. Is there a good dress shirt guide? It seems like Brooks Brothers doesn't have many solid dress shirts? Also, towards the triple-digit price range - would you still go with CT?

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, I am utterly confused. What the hell is semi-formal?

I don't mean to be facetious or mean. I just can't wrap my head around it.

The way I see the world and my wardrobe, it breaks down into three categories with one missing:

Business dress
Business casual
Casual
And white tie, of which I have no examples in my closet.

Semi-formal cannot be in between casual and business casual because at the very bottom, business casual requires you to wear slacks and at least a polo. Any BD will fit in with bus-casual. Unless its some clubbing shirt or something else inappropriate.

And of course, casual encompasses everything else.

Perhaps the question you want to ask is:

What should I wear to a nice restaurant with my friends?

Wear what the other people going to that restaurant wear. Most restaurants don't require suits or jackets anymore so you can get away with pretty much anything.

It sounds like you've got it under control. If you want to fancy yourself up a little bit, throw on a blazer. The people in the pictures, wearing the sweaters, are wearing sweaters because its cold. Its not a fashion thing. You will not wear a sweater when it is 80 degrees outside. Period. You'll look ridiculous. You can throw on a vest too. Its kind of fashionable. But the classic look is to throw on a blazer. It will work with jeans.

Thats my take anyway.

DeusExa

Reaction score
Guess I have to say: Technically I'm don't work at a "real job" so business formal wouldn't really be appropriate (being a part-time intern at a major tech/media blog), and I'm quite young (years from drinking age). What I guess I'm trying to say is that since I'm growing older, (that which brings more formal events, etc) I'd like to redo my "going out" wardrobe. Right now it's just a polo and jeans pretty much, and I'd like to start wearing dress shirts, etc. when I go out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads