1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Guide to Buying Canned Sardines

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by why, Feb 1, 2010.

1. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

^^

Can you PM member itsstillmatt with that info? He's mentioned before on here that he is clueless about fresh sardines. Thx.

2. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

haha i'm likely equally as clueless, the only difference being i bought a few and, not knowing what else to do, threw them onto a hot grill in an act of desperation.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  3. gopherblue

gopherblue Senior member

These are the best canned sardines I have ever eaten (I am a sardine fan). These are wild, sustainably caught sardines from the California coast. Yum!

Might I propose a couple lovely serving suggestions:

1. Mash up sardines with cream cheese and spread on toasted bagels.
    2. Toast bread, drizzle with olive oil, spread with mashed (or sliced) fresh avocado and layer with sardine filets.
    3. The Swedes know fish: try Jansson's Frestelse . FYI, Swedish "anchovies" are really sprats or sardines.

Goph

[​IMG]

4. shibbel

shibbel Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

5. stevent

stevent Senior member

When did you buy them? I feel like all of these I see now are product of Vietnam. And seafood from Vietnam is super sketch

6. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

I like my sardines with caramelized onions over grits.

7. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

my local hippie grocery place has these. great but expensive

8. mexicutioner

i was about to post these sardines. love them.

i got them at Costco in northern california.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  9. gopherblue

gopherblue Senior member

They are California sardines, but as you correctly pointed out, packed in Vietnam. Nothing sketchy about them.

10. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

You don't find the fuel usage due to shipping fish from the US to Vietnam and back sketchy? You don't worry about the low pay in those factories? Those sardines should be called Sketchy Kill the Planet, not Wild Planet.

11. stevent

stevent Senior member

You should see some of the seafood related factories in Vietnam, downright scary. I got those from Costco as well and thought they were good until I saw the box. The are pretty crafting hiding Vietnam

12. razl

razl Senior member

Actually, I find the tax structure, anti-business government, and regulatory nightmare that is The People's Republic of California - where these are caught - sketchy; that's the reason work like this get's shipped to Vietnam (and elsewhere). Companies like these are just adapting to the conditions the libs set forth.

I didn't want to engage, but I'm tired of seeing nonsense like that go unchallenged.

13. itsstillmatt

Typical right wing bullshit. Unenlightened tripe from the kind of jerk who thinks women ought to be at home, barefoot and pregnant.

14. razl

razl Senior member

Since my wife is an attorney with one of the top 5 law firms in the state of FL (I think #3 in their specialty?), she wears fantastic shoes, and we don't have children ourselves, it seems you don't have any idea what the fuck you're talking about.

[additional non-sardine engagement self deleted...] OK, everyone's seen each side of the aside, let's get back to sardines.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  15. itsstillmatt

Just FWIW, I totally agree with you. I was having fun mocking the guy above whose posts often have the tone I took. The rest was too good to pass up. You sound lucky in your choice of wives.

16. razl

razl Senior member

[Whoosh!] the sound of your sarcasm going right over my head! Sorry, your post was so straight forward I didn't spot the wink. :fistbump:

ps - I am super lucky on the wife, but boy was law school tough on the two of us...

17. mexicutioner

:facepalm:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  18. iwin

iwin New Member

Actually, Brunswick sardines in water freaking rock, because they look, taste, and smell natural.

Sorry, but "Millionnaire" sardines are complete garbage, and a waste of money. Dry, salty as hell, and skinless. Wow, great value for the money.

Now use your heads and get some real sardines, kids. Stop wasting your money. Next?

19. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

Grits and sardines are among my favorite meals. Great thread.

20. actor44

actor44 New Member

The only Sardines fit to eat are from Norway,but I do eat others,nothing from China,and no omega 6 veg. oils other than olive.