• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guide to antiquing shoes

Mobius

Reaction score
As the title suggests, I have two John Varvatos boots and I want/need to antique them. A friend of mine refered me to this site, I dunno if anyone can help me with this. Thanks!

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There have been a few articles on it. The original by AHarris and i believe a few others by APortnoy or Sysdoc? For some reason no-one has entered them into the StyleForum Wiki or they have mysteriously vanished from it? Try doing a search.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think Sysdoc's stuff is gone, but someone still has AHarris's dissertation on it backed up. Perhaps they'll post it.

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
I think Sysdoc's stuff is gone, but someone still has AHarris's dissertation on it backed up. Perhaps they'll post it.
Here you go! https://webdrive.service.emory.edu/u.../antiquing.pdf I'll keep it up for a couple days, but then it has to come down...it's a 2.2mb .pdf edit: I also have Meaculpa's "Fixing a pair of Bruno Maglis" photoessay saved as a .pdf. That's probably the best thread I've ever seen on Styleforum. It's almost a hundred megs, but if you want it, PM me and I'll send it to you via www.dropload.com.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Karim, you're a wonderful human being!

Hanseat

Reaction score
Thanks, Karim. I just saved it on my hdd.

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jamesbond
Yeah that post by Meaculpa was really good, anyway we can get this stuff into the Wiki or does it take up too much space?
Looks like we have 20mb (and my pdf is 93.3) I'll try and get screen captures of the pictures and load it up, though. edit: I'll make it work on our wiki--I think that's a great resource and I'd love to add something to it (even if it's not really my work). I PM'ed Meaculpa for his permission to post it and if it's okay with him, I'll get started with it. edit 2: Meaculpa will re-post his photoessay thread to sf.net and i'll copy it to the wiki very very shortly. be on the lookout
smile.gif
edit 3: http://styleforum.pbwiki.com/photoessay

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried antiquing some crappy rubber soled shoes for practice. What do you guys think of my handiwork?

dsc005004ci.jpg

Demeter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Beware of litigation.

I resent your slanderous insinuation! To court we go!

As Karim mentioned, I will post the photoessay in its entirety sometime this week.

Dimitri

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads