1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Guide to antiquing shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mobius, May 15, 2006.

1. Mobius

Mobius New Member

As the title suggests, I have two John Varvatos boots and I want/need to antique them. A friend of mine refered me to this site, I dunno if anyone can help me with this. Thanks!

2. jamesbond

jamesbond Senior member

There have been a few articles on it. The original by AHarris and i believe a few others by APortnoy or Sysdoc? For some reason no-one has entered them into the StyleForum Wiki or they have mysteriously vanished from it? Try doing a search.

3. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

I think Sysdoc's stuff is gone, but someone still has AHarris's dissertation on it backed up. Perhaps they'll post it.

4. nerdykarim

nerdykarim Senior member

I think Sysdoc's stuff is gone, but someone still has AHarris's dissertation on it backed up. Perhaps they'll post it.
    Here you go! https://webdrive.service.emory.edu/u.../antiquing.pdf I'll keep it up for a couple days, but then it has to come down...it's a 2.2mb .pdf edit: I also have Meaculpa's "Fixing a pair of Bruno Maglis" photoessay saved as a .pdf. That's probably the best thread I've ever seen on Styleforum. It's almost a hundred megs, but if you want it, PM me and I'll send it to you via www.dropload.com.

5. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Karim, you're a wonderful human being!

6. Hanseat

Hanseat Senior member

Thanks, Karim. I just saved it on my hdd.

7. jamesbond

jamesbond Senior member

Yeah that post by Meaculpa was really good, anyway we can get this stuff into the Wiki or does it take up too much space?

8. nerdykarim

nerdykarim Senior member

Yeah that post by Meaculpa was really good, anyway we can get this stuff into the Wiki or does it take up too much space?
    Looks like we have 20mb (and my pdf is 93.3) I'll try and get screen captures of the pictures and load it up, though. edit: I'll make it work on our wiki--I think that's a great resource and I'd love to add something to it (even if it's not really my work). I PM'ed Meaculpa for his permission to post it and if it's okay with him, I'll get started with it. edit 2: Meaculpa will re-post his photoessay thread to sf.net and i'll copy it to the wiki very very shortly. be on the lookout [​IMG] edit 3: http://styleforum.pbwiki.com/photoessay

9. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I tried antiquing some crappy rubber soled shoes for practice. What do you guys think of my handiwork?

[​IMG]

10. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Beware of litigation.

11. Demeter

Demeter Senior member

Beware of litigation.

I resent your slanderous insinuation! To court we go!

As Karim mentioned, I will post the photoessay in its entirety sometime this week.

Dimitri