• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gucci Wallet vs Hermes wallet

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been around these things since shortly after my college days ... back in the ... oh, well, just be honest ... the early 70's. I'm OLD. Of course, there was no Internet in those days and we picked it up from family, family friends, television, and visiting shops in New York, London, Paris, etc. But one is NEVER too old to listen (or read) and learn.

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
Re-reading this while sober does confirm that it was, indeed, a bunch of drivel. So I un-driveled it.

Last edited:

BPL Esq

Reaction score
Hermès was, is and shall remain primarily a leather goods company. I’d opt for the Hermès. It’s cleaner and simpler and doesn’t have that gaudy Gucci logo all over it.

Agreed. At least go with the product from the company known for exceptionally good leather goods.

Also, thanks to Dieworkwear for the mention of Chester Mox. I was not familiar with them previously. A quick perusal of their website leads me to believe I will be a customer before too long. There is still a place for Hermes, which might be worth the upcharge now and then if you will feel your item is a bit more 'special,' but the Chester Mox stuff looks amazing. Might scoop up one of their wiry card holders soon to keep my business cards organized and tastefully contained for easy access.

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally wouldn’t go for Gucci. If you’re able to go for the Hermès get it, although if you can’t justify the price and the Gucci wallet isn’t convincing then keep looking and take your time.

personally I have a Salvatore Ferragamo wallet, I love it and don’t regret it one bit. It’s nowhere near braggadocio. It was a gift to myself for my birthday. It’s about 5 years old and still looks great. I’m not into fashion designers, but that year for my birthday I allowed myself a dumb irrational purchase. I’ve enjoyed my wallet every time I need to pay. Hahahahaha

majority of the people dont even realize it’s a ferragamo which is great bc I have a strong distaste when people ask how much did I pay.

with all the rambling I’ve said, once my wallet looks like ****, I’ll probably get an Louis Vuitton wallet that isn’t obnoxious. I know, I know...but of all things, I’m okay with having a designer wallet, especially if it isn’t screaming ‘X DESIGNER’

jonny2box

Reaction score
I'll chime in here. I have a Cartier wallet that I'm quite happy with. It's held up really well for the past 6-7yrs. and just barely showing a few signs of aging on the inside at the edges of the card slots. I'll probably get at least 3-5 more years out of it. I carry it in my jeans front pocket most of the time. I especially like the metal edges on the corners so it doesn't get worn or curled too bad if you carry your wallet in your front jeans pocket. Comes in black and grey so you don't have to go classic vintage Burgundy if that doesn't appeal. All said no regrets. bit pricey for what it is, but you can definitely catch a new-ish old stock one for around 200$. I'm not an expert of fakes and counterfeits, but the few I've checked online grailed / luxswap etc. look exactly like the one I have and authentic.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t carry a wallet. I carry a card case. About 5 years ago my wife bought one for me from Bottega Veneta as a birthday present.

99F5EAC2-C867-4EA7-95F3-7DBF2514CF79.jpeg

It doesn’t have any logos and with the exception of the signature leather weave, which unless you’re familiar with the brand wouldn’t even register, one wouldn’t even know where it’s from.

It’s actually very well made and designed and I’m very pleased with it.

BPL Esq

Reaction score
I personally wouldn’t go for Gucci. If you’re able to go for the Hermès get it, although if you can’t justify the price and the Gucci wallet isn’t convincing then keep looking and take your time.

personally I have a Salvatore Ferragamo wallet, I love it and don’t regret it one bit. It’s nowhere near braggadocio. It was a gift to myself for my birthday. It’s about 5 years old and still looks great. I’m not into fashion designers, but that year for my birthday I allowed myself a dumb irrational purchase. I’ve enjoyed my wallet every time I need to pay. Hahahahaha

majority of the people dont even realize it’s a ferragamo which is great bc I have a strong distaste when people ask how much did I pay.

with all the rambling I’ve said, once my wallet looks like ****, I’ll probably get an Louis Vuitton wallet that isn’t obnoxious. I know, I know...but of all things, I’m okay with having a designer wallet, especially if it isn’t screaming ‘X DESIGNER’

I also carry a Ferragamo card case daily. I cringe a little bit at the metal logo in the corner, but it was a gift from my wife and nobody has noticed the logo and commented on it over the past couple years. Prior to this one, I carried a black alligator card case with no logo or visible branding (that I got for 'free' using Amazon credit). That one is currently serving as a holder for the random business cards that end up in my possession and may return to service if/when the Ferragamo case wears out (so far it is holding up very well).

Aly.B

Reaction score
Just adding my two cents here - Tom Ford wallets are pretty well made and the leather quality is top notch. Also, they don’t put loud and gaudy branding on their wallets like you would find on most accessories from Gucci. Just subtle TF initials either in gold or engraved in the leather. Worth a look in my opinion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads