• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gucci Wallet vs Hermes wallet

Reaction score
I’ve been wanting a new wallet for so long and had my eyes on a Gucci animalier wallet for a while. It’s a Gucci wallet that I think is understated considering a lot of their stuff screams the brand over and over and is very much “in your face”
The Hermes wallet is one I came across the other day. It’s over twice the price of the Gucci wallet but is a lot more understated and I feel the quality will be a lot better too, I just don’t know if I can justify the price of the Hermes, what do you think
D89E1658-52EE-4B58-86A0-2156152D9C5D.jpeg
E005A309-DCD5-4CC5-B09E-44AACA530B34.jpeg
5EF4A20E-3FDD-4B20-9CA8-E9F1BFF3ED3B.jpeg
0011DBD8-AA17-45E2-B2AE-CC5494B742AE.jpeg

neminat

Reaction score
im not a labels guy especially fashion brands because of what it screams. I prefer a more subtle higher quality wallet for half the price personally.

I follow Ashland Leather on IG and he makes some incredible stuff. Not sure if its up your alley or not but i would imagine there are many options that dont have that logo with very high quality.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm another who doesn't care for overt branding. I would not buy the Gucci wallet.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't care for the Gucci logo on that wallet.

Aside from branding, the main difference between the two wallets is how they're sewn. The Gucci wallet is machine sewn, whereas the Hermes one is saddle stitched. Saddle stitching is when you prick the leather, typically with an awl, and then guide two needles through the same hole at the same time. It's how people used to sew equestrian goods, as saddle stitching is more secure than machine sewing. Here is a video of the process:

On a machine-sewn wallet, if one stitch breaks, the entire seam can unravel. On a saddle-stitched seam, if one stitch breaks, you still need a special tool to pick out the other parts of the seam.

You can tell this by looking at the seams. The Gucci wallet has stitches that follow a straight line, like this: -----. The Hermes wallet has stitches that follow a slash pattern, like this: ////

Along with the more secure seam, the Hermes one will have that bit of artisanal craft quality, if you value handmade goods.

If Hermes is too expensive, there are other makers that can produce a saddle-stitched wallet in the same designs for much cheaper. I use Chester Mox. They're an American company based in Los Angeles. You can visit thier IG for photos of their work. In Paris, there are perhaps dozens of these companies, all producing similar saddle sewn leather goods for much cheaper than Hermes. One Parisian company I admire is Hosoi.

Reaction score

Aside from branding, the main difference between the two wallets is how they're sewn. The Gucci wallet is machine sewn, whereas the Hermes one is saddle stitched. Saddle stitching is when you prick the leather, typically with an awl, and then guide two needles through the same hole at the same time. It's how people used to sew equestrian goods, as saddle stitching is more secure than machine sewing. Here is a video of the process:

On a machine-sewn wallet, if one stitch breaks, the entire seam can unravel. On a saddle-stitched seam, if one stitch breaks, you still need a special tool to pick out the other parts of the seam.

You can tell this by looking at the seams. The Gucci wallet has stitches that follow a straight line, like this: -----. The Hermes wallet has stitches that follow a slash pattern, like this: ////

Along with the more secure seam, the Hermes one will have that bit of artisanal craft quality, if you value handmade goods.

If Hermes is too expensive, there are other makers that can produce a saddle-stitched wallet in the same designs for much cheaper. I use Chester Mox. They're an American company based in Los Angeles. You can visit thier IG for photos of their work. In Paris, there are perhaps dozens of these companies, all producing similar saddle sewn leather goods for much cheaper than Hermes. One Parisian company I admire is Hosoi.

Damn, thanks for all the info. I love the Hermes wallet but it’s over twice the price of the Gucci and I was wondering if it was worth it, I guess the answer is yes :)

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Damn, thanks for all the info. I love the Hermes wallet but it’s over twice the price of the Gucci and I was wondering if it was worth it, I guess the answer is yes :)

Well you're paying for brand cache either way. Independent makers will sell you a saddle sewn wallet for less than what you will pay for either Gucci or Hermes. Bellanie, the woman behind Chester Mox, trained under a former Hermes craftsperson. Satoru, the man behind Hosoi, used to make leather goods at Hermes. For something as small and simple as a wallet, you will get the same quality out of these makers as you would out of Hermes. But if you value the brand name, that can be worth its own price.

Reaction score
Well you're paying for brand cache either way. Independent makers will sell you a saddle sewn wallet for less than what you will pay for either Gucci or Hermes. Bellanie, the woman behind Chester Mox, trained under a former Hermes craftsperson. Satoru, the man behind Hosoi, used to make leather goods at Hermes. For something as small and simple as a wallet, you will get the same quality out of these makers as you would out of Hermes. But if you value the brand name, that can be worth its own price.
Just checked out Chester Mox, I can see the similarities between that and Hermes, I like those too!

Reaction score
I completely forgot about Ettinger as well. Love those wallets and very classy

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I do not have first hand knowledge but I have read that most of Hermes’ “saddle-stitched” seams are in fact machine sewn. E.g. https://www.malle2luxe.fr/expertise...-saddle-and-a-sewing-machine-hermes-mail-bag/

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I do not have first hand knowledge but I have read that most of Hermes’ “saddle-stitched” seams are in fact machine sewn. E.g. https://www.malle2luxe.fr/expertise...-saddle-and-a-sewing-machine-hermes-mail-bag/

Hm, I hadn't heard about that machine-sewn technique.

The info I received is from people who formerly worked at Hermes. They were among the people who sewed leather goods and have since left the company. They now run their own operations, so I assume they would tell me if Hermes' quality was in any way subpar.

Reactions: RSS

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Years ago, there was an Hermès pop up showcasing the artisans and artists who work in their workshops manufacturing and crafting their goods. Of course, front and center were the scarves complete with a silk screening machine showing how the actual process works, as well as how the patterns are cut from the original drawings.

Among the artisans were those working with leather goods. All of the work was being done by hand. All of it and not just the finishing.

Reactions: RSS

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Without this turning into another leather debate, Hermes does a lot of machine sewing now, even on Birkin bags.

That being said, Hermes leather quality is going to be better than Gucci. I also think in general Gucci is pretty gaudy (though I kind of dig that bee - I like bees).

I love Ettinger. I even have a custom wallet I made through Turnbull in NYC. Some ok this forum like to **** on them, but they are awesome.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love Ettinger. I even have a custom wallet I made through Turnbull in NYC. Some ok this forum like to **** on them, but they are awesome.

I have a couple of Ettinger wallets. A recent one is of goat skin in a lapis blue. It's a favorite.

I also had a wallet by Chester Mox in brown with blue thread. That might sound like too much, but it's a beautiful combination. It was a gift by a good friend. Sadly it was lost to a pickpocket. It's time for another. I'm asking Santa.

You are getting good information here. Not from me, but from a couple of others. I'm certainly listening.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have a couple of Ettinger wallets. A recent one is of goat skin in a lapis blue. It's a favorite.

I also had a wallet by Mox in brown with blue thread. That might sound like too much, but it's beautiful. It was a recent gift by a good friend. Sadly it was lost. It's time for another.

You are getting good advice here. Not from me, but from two others. I am listening.
Agree, I’m a novice with most things like this :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads