• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Gucci Tom Ford era Suit Question

Clate99

Reaction score
This is my initial posting, and I didn't see anything within the past several years that would match this rather esoteric question:

Recently, I was fortunate enough to be the high bidder for a Gucci Tom Ford era SB peak lapel three-piece suit.

My questions:

1. The sleeve buttons are not the usual five button arrangement, as can be seen in the picture, and the suit was, according to the seller, for store display. Any reason why the deviation from the five-button arrangement? FWIW, I personally prefer something other than five buttons, and this is what attracted me to the suit. Four other similar suits sold in the past few months had the five-button arrangement.

2. Is there a way to "date" one of these suits? The tag had a sequence of numbers that started with an 04--perhaps 2004?--and the "ordine" is rather low, below 12,000. It's not terribly important, but I was curious.

Thanks for any insight that anyone can offer.

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First of all, four sleeve buttons are traditional and that's what the suit appears to have. Secondly, you might try contacting Gucci to inquire as to the date of manufacture. Most any employee should be able to crack the code for you.

That said, the suit looks to be well cut with nice wide lapels and the fabric pattern well matched. Enjoy!

Clate99

Reaction score
Thank you!

I apologize for the lack of clarity within my original posting regarding the number of sleeve buttons. I do realize that four is traditional, but I had read (on here, I believe), that Gucci suits of the time had five, as Tom Ford's do, as well. Thus, it struck me as odd that this suit was indeed more traditional in that respect, and not with the more flamboyant five button arrangement.

Unfortunately, during the time period that this suit was made, I was very much clueless as to Gucci, Tom Ford, or much beyond what I could find in the department store, alas, but we do learn.

Thanks again for the reply.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 58 17.5%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 111 33.4%
  • 8”

Votes: 100 30.1%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 36 10.8%
  • 9”

Votes: 13 3.9%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.1%