• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gucci Shoes

oldskool

Reaction score
What is the opinion here on Gucci shoes. The classics... in NYC everyone has 'em. $495+ a pop. Gucci loafers often paired with traditional suits and ties...

I like the look, but my style tends to be more traditional - curious about the look... it's a no no... but otherwise well dressed 'finance' people seem not to care...

mrprlover

Reaction score
Those shoes for some reason conjure images of investment bankers. No offense to any bankers here.

I personally find Gucci shoes a little too fashion-forward in the sense that I would be afraid to drop 500$ on a pair of shoes that I couldn't wear for more than, say, 2 years. I tend to shy away from the latest style and keep a minimal number of "current" pieces.

On the other hand (and I apolgize for the contradiction) I can't get away from loafers. Sorry LA. lol. and I've been on the prowl for a Gucci pair. Once saw then in NYC at a consignment shop but in a size 11 boo. I would stick with the classic pieces though. $500 can get you a nice pair of AEs easy though.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No offense taken, shortly after your post I went down the hallways for a stroll to the water fountain and counted 5 pairs on associates, vp's. Its kind of laughable, but I have to say on most guys they look great. I'm more of a fan of the brown than the black. But like you said I just don't see myself forking over $400 for them, Tod's yes but Gucci, no.

PeterMetro

Reaction score
I love the Gucci shoes I have, and I'm not even a banker.

I have a pair of horsebit loafers, but they're high vamp and split toe, with a big heavy bit on them. I don't really care for the lower vamps. My other pairs are a chisel toe lace-up and a pointed toe wing tip. Love 'em.

naturlaut

Reaction score
Anyone has a picture of the so-called classic Gucci loafers? The one your have (with split-toe) --- I don't think that's the classic one, is it?

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Worn with prep clothes for 40 years including suits and jackets. Don't think of them as fashion foward at all. Roetzel and Flusser, hardly"fashionable", both recommend them.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like GUCCI cap toes .. Very sleek and not old looking. But paying $500US for it, I rather get Ferragamo Tramezza shoes.

naturlaut

Reaction score
Anyone tried the Gucci custom shoe programme? I was meaning to check it out, but always forget when I'm at the shopping district.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Is it really a custom program or simply a made to order program? The stuff I've read tends to fudge it.

wja

Reaction score
Oldskool says:
$495+ a pop

I love NY but guess that I did well to buy a pair in Palm Beach last week for $420, tax included and a free plastic shoehorn to boot.

They have a "new" model with a slightly wider toe.  The bit is a silver color compared to the gold of the classic.  I didn't care for the new one and bought the old.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it's really a made to order programme
they offer you a limited number of styles to choose from and you get to pick from a limited number of leathers and it's then shipped off and made ...... four to six months later, you have your shoes

no last is created, just the measurement from what i was told at gucci

PHV

Reaction score
it's really a made to order programme
they offer you a limited number of styles to choose from and you get to pick from a limited number of leathers and it's then shipped off and made ...... four to six months later, you have your shoes

no last is created, just the measurement from what i was told at gucci
so you think they'll be able to accomodate a 14.5 EEE?

lisapop

Reaction score
Gucci moccasins are terribly uncomfortable to walk in if you walk on hard surfaces, such as sidewalks. Â There's little material built into the shoe to absorb the impact. Â Over time, they also stretch and bend out of shape, rendering them unsightly. Â On the other hand, my suede Tod boots, while pricey, are tremendously comfortable and are proving to be quite durable. Â They look great with trousers that have a narrower leg, sans cuff, such as those I've purchased from Davide Cenci. Â Just located this link for Tods at discounted prices... http://www.designerapparel.com/search.....rt=&p=4 Grayson

Brian SD

Reaction score
I find the Gucci shoes to be the most boring aspect of the designs, especially since the departure of Mr. Ford. I would take Helmut Lang or Costume National first if we're talking on ~$300-500 designer terms. Of course everyone wants Berlutis (and I dont care what you guys say, I LOVE those "Frankenstein" shoes).

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find the Gucci shoes to be the most boring aspect of the designs, especially since the departure of Mr. Ford. I would take Helmut Lang or Costume National first if we're talking on ~$300-500 designer terms.

Yep. I'd also add Dries van Noten, Prada, Varvatos, and pretty much everything else in the (designer) category before Gucci.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads