• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gucci shoes - any experience?

pkiula

Reaction score
I'm looking at these shoes.

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/ws/eBayISAPI....m=180604166647

They're expecting US$ 560 for these. Any idea if these are worth it? The shape and form is very much to my liking, but it is the leather and construction quality I worry about.

Thanks..

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
those look like one of cole haan's low end offerings. and 140 bucks less than retail on a $700 shoe is not a deal.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You should not buy those shoes for the following reasons:

1. They look terrible.
2. The pics on ebay are stock photos, they are not pics of the actual item you would be receiving. This means there is a high probability they are either fakes or there is something else wrong with them.
3. Even at a reduced price they are $150 bucks more than Aldens, which are a better shoe in every comparable category.

Here endeth the lesson.

pkiula

Reaction score
Thanks. That is good insight. I'd buy Alden in a heartbeat if they had any modern last at all. I have a taste for the more shapely -- e.g., Vass' U-last or the Weston 437. They're hard to come by. Does Alden make anything like that at all? Their website seems to show only stodgy designs -- however well made the shoes themselves are. For me, this epitomizes ugly: http://www.aldenshop.com/DrawShoes.asp?ParentID=94

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pkiula
For me, this epitomizes ugly:
http://www.aldenshop.com/DrawShoes.asp?ParentID=94

ffffuuuu.gif

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get some nice C&J's for that money, and more likely than not you'll have something to spare for a cup of coffee.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Better makers have sleeker lasts that should be to your liking.

C&J's 348, for example.

G&G's TG 73 is another.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RogerC
Get some nice C&J's for that money, and more likely than not you'll have something to spare for a cup of coffee.

Yep. And C&J have plenty of sleek modern lasts.

Also, Alden are great. They are the quintessential American shoe. Obviously the clunky look is not to your liking, but they're far from ugly.

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Better makers have sleeker lasts that should be to your liking.

C&J's 348, for example.

G&G's TG 73 is another.

+1 on the 348. Love my Lowndes.

pkiula

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
Yep. And C&J have plenty of sleek modern lasts.

Also, Alden are great. They are the quintessential American shoe. Obviously the clunky look is not to your liking, but they're far from ugly.

Yes clunky is what I meant
smile.gif
-- and no, no judgment about people who wear it. Eye of this beholder, and all.

I think Michael Douglas was wearing Alden in Wall Street 2.

G&G's "TG73" is a phenomenal last. Thanks!

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
I bought a pair of guccis about 8 years ago for almost $900. there's a hole in the sole, the soles also split, leather is cracking in 3 places, and the heel on the left is falling apart. I'm not that hard on ny shoes at all. Worst purchase of my life. Never again. If I find some I like for a hundred bucks, I'd consider it. MAYBE.

saiyar1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
You should not buy those shoes for the following reasons:

1. They look terrible.

I understand there may be many better constructed shoes out there but why do you feel the need to throw in exaggerated claims of ugliness to top off your point. It's like when little kids fight and have nothing else to say... They just call each other ugly.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by saiyar1
I understand there may be many better constructed shoes out there but why do you feel the need to throw in exaggerated claims of ugliness to top off your point. It's like when little kids fight and have nothing else to say... They just call each other ugly.

They do look pretty bad though. Maybe 'terrible' is a bit of an exaggeration, but they're not particularly good looking shoes, and certainly not $550 worth of good looking...

Icehawk

Reaction score
Guccis are nice shoes around $300 but above that I think you have a lot of other options, particularly in a staple-type of shoe like a captoe. Still if you have the dough and like them I wouldn't be deterred. They don't get much love on SF but they are made with quality leather and blake (rapid?) construction so they are not junk shoes - they are made by Sergio Rossi who is a quality shoemaker.

This is a good thread IMO:
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=22042

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads