• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gucci shirt - real or fake?

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've spotted several of these 'Gucci' dress shirts on ebay, and they always seem to fetch low prices - almost always under $50 for a NWT shirt. The seller has 100% postive feedback, but the shirt label seems a bit off. I'm not sure if the authentic Gucci shirts say 'Made in Italy' right under the Gucci name. What do you think? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....63&rd=1

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
actually gucci can have 'made in italy' under the gucci name on the label inside the shirt ...... i just double checked mine in my closet (all purchased at a gucci store and/or gucci corporate outlet) and they have it

what i find interesting is the fact that this seller is saying that they're 100% authentic and because of that, will not accept returns, hmmmm, if they're 100% authentic, then one shouldn't be worried if someone returned a shirt, but if a knockoff, then you won't accept returns ........

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The price seems very off. And besides the seller always seems to have a steady supply which isn't particularly realistic for authentic items. That plastic bag is rather dubious. Here is an authentic Gucci shirt sold which has a picture of the label. Gucci Shirt

bryce330

Reaction score
I'm always worried when the seller has a picture of something other than the actual item for sale - in this auction, the shirt itself is red but the picture shows a white shirt for some reason. There is a picture of a red shirt in a bag next to it, but it's impossible to tell anything about the red shirt.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bryce is correct regarding the red shirt

the white one looks authentic
the red one, who knows, but if you look at the typography of the wording on the plastic bag, it isn't the typeface that gucci uses at all

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
From what it looks the white one's picture is from another site. Most likely this one: Website And then when the people receive them they wouldn't know any better whether it is authentic or not.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to mention that the Shirt being sold is a French Cuff (clearly indicated so in the description) and the white shirt is buttoned.

Also the collars are off. The Red shirt is more of a spread whereas the white is not.
SO the farmer tells his son...See this hammer boy? I have had this hammer for 29 years...I have changed the handle 9 times and the head 12 but other than that its the same hammer..."

We do know for sure that the poly bag the shirt is hiding behind Looks to be an authentic gucci poly bag...

Yah...

JJF

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what it looks the white one's picture is from another site. Most likely this one: Website And then when the people receive them they wouldn't know any better whether it is authentic or not.
Nope...The white shirts on the Rafaello site have the label tucked in so it photographs like a big square stain... this one is out in front.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies, guys. If you check the seller's other items, they have 13 pages of clothing - many of which are brands that are commonly faked (Ralph Lauren, Lacoste, Hugo Boss polo shirts). The price seemed too good to be true - and I think in this case it is. I never thought that the seller might photograph an authentic shirt, and then ship out a fake. I am a stickler for details, so I figured that most people would be able to see something different about the shirt pictured vs. the shirt sent.

I'm always leery when those poly bags are included. I know that some stores have these, but it seems like all of the knockoff Lacoste/Polo/Versace/Gucci stuff on ebay comes with them.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have bought 2 hugo boss dress shirts .. they were all real. They seem to match all the detail when compared to my 10 other boss shirts purchased in boutique. In Boss case, make sure:

1. I think they put Hugo Boss engraved button on right sleeve. Never both sleeves ..

2. Check for care instruction label. It should be about 2'x3.5' size and filled with multi-language ..

Also, I bought Canali belt .. it was authetic as well .. i saw identical one at the boutique .. weight of the belt was the same ..

But I bought Prada scarf, D&G dress shirt, Armani suit(got $ back), Gucci shoes. they were all fakes ..

So, from now on I am not buying any more 'made in italy' from ebay.

ACore

Reaction score
Perhaps we should start a thread notifying user's of what to look out for when purchasing items on ebay. Several of us are novices in this matter and may not be able to tell the difference between a fake Gucci shirt and a real one. Also, it may be of use to list ebay sellers that have a tendency to put up fake items.

Cheers,
Adam

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the interesting thing that is revealed in checking both bluefly.com and rafaello.com sites is that there are gucci shirts whereby the label either says just 'gucci' or 'gucci made in italy', yet both are authentic

if in doubt, don't buy, it likely isn't what it says it is

Zubberah

Reaction score
I'm always worried when the seller has a picture of something other than the actual item for sale - in this auction, the shirt itself is red but the picture shows a white shirt for some reason.  There is a picture of a red shirt in a bag next to it, but it's impossible to tell anything about the red shirt.
Agreed - white is authentic other is dodgy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads