• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gucci Loafers

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I feel bad for people who buy these tacky monstrosities for $460. There's Gucci name recognition for you. People will think they look good "because they're Gucci" :D

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends, what car do you drive? If it is not an Italian sports car (Fiat doesn't count) then neither. You realize that driving shoes are meant to give you feet flexibility while performing heel and toe maneuvers with a manual transmission equipped vehicle.

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Depends, what car do you drive? If it is not an Italian sports car (Fiat doesn't count) then neither. You realize that driving shoes are meant to give you feet flexibility while performing heel and toe maneuvers with a manual transmission equipped vehicle.

Yes, and wingtips are perforated for slogging through the wet bogs of Scotland. Doesn't mean you can't wear them on a dry day in the city.

That said, if it has to be Gucci just get loafers. The sole won't wear out so fast, and they'll be more comfortable for daily wear.

Last edited:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That said, if it has to be Gucci just get loafers. The sole won't wear out so fast, and they'll be more comfortable for daily wear.

+1. Shoes like the one in the OP are not designed to handle any amount of serious walking.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, and wingtips are perforated for slogging through the wet bogs of Scotland. Doesn't mean you can't wear them on a dry day in the city.

Gucci actually makes good quality goodyear welt loafers. I own two pairs, one in black calf and one in ostrich. I'm pointing out that a driving shoe is for DRIVING and nothing else. I always have a pair on hand for a long weekend drive as that is what they are suited for. They are not meant for walking as the nubs will wear out in 10 miles.

Your example of brogues doesn't make sense as full broguing goes through the shoes and actually makes them into a type of sandal. If you have a pair of those is is probably best used in the wet bogs of somewhere. The brouging you see on wingtips is not functional and is purely decorative. Driving shoes are still made for driving and are functional as such.

Mr Engineer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im not a big fan of driver shoes. I would rather get leater sole gucci loafers

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads