Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Gucci Horsebir Loafer Appreciation/Collections

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by artiest, Oct 10, 2017.

1. artiest

artiest Member

I've always been an advocate of Gucci Horsebit Loafers. I lurk a bit on the forums here but never have posted as I don't see many Gucci fans. Personally I wear them for everything, from going to Costco in shorts after a game of tennis to formal events. They are comfortable, versatile, and above all durable (although I am lucky to have a great local cobbler who always finds a way to keep these looking good).

Feel free to use this thread to share your Gucci Horsebit loafer collections as well and as a general discussion on your experience. I apologize if there is a better thread for this, but I searched and came up dry.

As an aside, I used to wear Ferragamo but in my personal experience they didn't hold up as well with the daily grind.

IMG_0496.JPG

2. vida

vida Senior member

Wow, qu
    Wow, quite a collection. Sometimes I think Gucci loafers look chic and classic, others a bit much. I have actually tried to buy a pair in the past but I would require a narrow width which I could not find. You seem to be the guy to ask...any suggestions?

3. artiest

artiest Member

I agree sometimes they can be a bit much, but here in metro Detroit people do tend to allow for a tasteful amount of flashiness.

As for narrow (C, B) fits, I think you may be out of luck. I asked at the local Gucci store and they claim they stopped offering them a decade ago but may still be available in europe (doubtful as their website doesn't offer them). In this case I would say Ferragamo would be a better choice as they offer an assortment of widths.

4. il_colonnello

il_colonnello Senior member

Very nice!!

I have only 1 pair myself and I'm not sure I am too keen on the croc-print styles (I think the horsebit itself is conspicuous enough as is, combining it with flashy leathers = too flashy), but on the whole I :worship: to your collection!

Curious, do you wear anything else Gucci - clothes, accessories, bags - or is the obsession limited to the horsebit loafer?

5. artiest

artiest Member

Thanks for the appreciation! I agree some of the reptile ones can be a bit too much. I don't really wear those to all that often to be honest.

As for the rest of the gucci line -- I just really enjoy the timeless preppy look of the shoe. Their more recent stuff scares me and I'm more reserved in the rest of my wardrobe. Nearly everything cloth wide I have is zegna or brioni and for bags and accessories I gravitate towards tumi. I do have a few gucci belts, but nothing with a crazy buckle, just regular looking but high quality leather.

6. il_colonnello

il_colonnello Senior member

Ha, I actually wear my Gucci horsebits just like you: with classic, toned-down Zegna/Brioni outfits!

And yes, Alessandro Michele's aesthetic is a pretty drastic turn for the brand. I liked Gucci better when Frida was there, it was much more wearable then.