• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gucci Drivers

bfayer

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently bought my first couple pairs of premium Drivers, both made from Gucci (links below). The black one, is made of really thin, delicate leather (almost like driving gloves). I don't know much about shoe care (and even less at the time of purchase), so I bought shoe trees from Bloomingdales and the sales associate put in a pair that was probably a size to big and it stretched them out so that it feels loose in the heel. Is there any way to shrink them without damaging the leather? I've read to dampen them and then put them in the window to dry, and then put on conditioner, but I am afraid what that will do. Are there any alternatives?

Separately, does anyone have any good leather shoe conditioners to recommend? I can't figure out from other threads if it matters which brand you use, the versions that pop up on amazon don't seem to be shoe specific, and I'm not sure if that matters (especially for the black pair, which is extremely soft as is)

thanks in advance

Black Pair: https://www.gucci.com/us/en/pr/men/...nent&categoryPath=Men/Mens-Shoes/Mens-Drivers

Brown pair: https://www.gucci.com/us/en/pr/men/...nent&categoryPath=Men/Mens-Shoes/Mens-Drivers

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats on your purchases, however I would advise against shoe trees in drivers as they will stretch the shoe more than protect the shoe. Drivers should be snug on your feet in all areas (heel, toe, etc.) Also, any premium shoe polish or conditioner should do the trick - don't over think it so much.

Also, just FYI, the brand Gucci on SF is about as welcome as the word Hell in church - don't say I didn't want you!

bfayer

Reaction score
Congrats on your purchases, however I would advise against shoe trees in drivers as they will stretch the shoe more than protect the shoe. Drivers should be snug on your feet in all areas (heel, toe, etc.) Also, any premium shoe polish or conditioner should do the trick - don't over think it so much.

Also, just FYI, the brand Gucci on SF is about as welcome as the word Hell in church - don't say I didn't want you!
Thanks for the reply. Few follow ups:

1) Aren't the shoe trees necessary to keep the smell out though? What should I do? Also won't the shoes lose their shape? The browns ones are actually a bit tight on me and are much less delicate than the black shoes and feel like normal loafers. For the black ones, I've been just putting the front part of the trees but it's kinda annoying to prevent the back part from resting on the heels so that they don't get misshaped there.

2) The black pair is already stretched out. Am I out of luck? Anyway to reshrink them?

3) Why does the board hate gucci?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads