• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guatemala

Pinhas

Reaction score
Anyone ever traveled to Guatemala? I am planning to backpack there in the end of Augist and was wondering if anyone has any tips or experiences to share.

Thanks

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pinhas
Anyone ever traveled to Guatemala? I am planning to backpack there in the end of Augist and was wondering if anyone has any tips or experiences to share.

Thanks

Go to Tikal, stay the night if you can, avoid being in a ****** tour, although flying there from the city is so much better than driving. Guatemala City is very cool I think, and find as many different Ron Zacapa's as possible.

royskeen

Reaction score
I stayed in Guatemala for two weeks in 08. Wonderful country with very nice people. Everything is very very cheap there!

Go to/don't go to:

Tikal (either fly or cheaper take the a luxury bus). It's absolutely stunning
Guatemala City--nothing to see here but poverty-be happy that you're helping with much needed tourist dollars
Antigua--lovely colonial town with a beautiful volcano to climb. You should take organized tours up the volcano only b/c of the danger.
Chichicastenango--incredible market town. You can buy real Mayan goods here, but the fun is also seeing the cultural mashup of the the Mayan people and Catholicisms.
Panajachet--beautiful lake with many villages around. Can get very touristy, so watch out for all of the sellers.
Xela--the university/industrial second city of Guatemala.
Funetes Georgines--gorgeous gorgeous natural hot springs in the mountains

The best part about traveling in August is that in Antigua/Xela, etc. the weather is quite cool. Tikal, of course, is HOT. Take a guided sunrise tour--it's totally worth it and you don't want to be walking around in the jungle in the middle of the day anyway.

Have fun and be safe!

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife is from Guatemala City and I've visited the country 3 times. This is what you need to know:

Antigua is necessary. Tikal is really cool, but only if you are interested in seeing ancient buildings. Unless you are going to be there for longer than a week, just go to these two places.

PM me if you have any questions.

asdf

Reaction score

Thanks

A friend of mine, in a tour group, got shot at and robbed.

Pinhas

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I just bought the Rough Guides Guatemala book (first one after years of using Lonely Planet) and will be reading up more into detail.

I plan on going for about 10 days; would you say its enough for an GC/Antigua/Tikal/Lake Atitlan?

I know that the beaches aren't that great, so I'm mostly interested in hiking and trekking. Very into architecture and ruins so will visit Tikal and other Mayan sites.

Originally Posted by asdf
A friend of mine, in a tour group, got shot at and robbed.

I understand that Guatemala could be a bit dangerous, but for me its part of its appeal. Traveling smart and cautious is a must no matter where you go, and I intend to bring minimum of valuables and be very aware.

Life aren't worth living without some degree of risk.

Where did he get robbed exactly?

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
royskeen;3443575 said:
I stayed in Guatemala for two weeks in 08. Wonderful country with very nice people. Everything is very very cheap there!
at 10 quitzels for a dollar where did you find it to be cheap?

asdf

Reaction score

Where did he get robbed exactly?

His group was on foot on their way to some sort of ruins or pyramid. bang bang bang, banditos with bandanas over faces, try to run away, get robbed, etc. some of the people he was travelling with went home after that.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GC: 1-2 days
Antigua: 4 days
Tikal: 1 day
Lake Atitlan: 3 days

This is my suggestion if you must go to all 4 places. GC obviously has architecture, but Antigua has some interesting ruins and post-earthquake architecture. Tikal is a treat, but you don't need more than a day there. The lake is a good place to chill, but gets boring pretty quickly IMO. Antigua is the best, although it is very touristy.

imhotep

Reaction score
Originally Posted by IUtoSLU

The lake is a good place to chill, but gets boring pretty quickly IMO. Antigua is the best, although it is very touristy.

agree with both those statements

Pinhas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by IUtoSLU
GC: 1-2 days
Antigua: 4 days
Tikal: 1 day
Lake Atitlan: 3 days

This is my suggestion if you must go to all 4 places. GC obviously has architecture, but Antigua has some interesting ruins and post-earthquake architecture. Tikal is a treat, but you don't need more than a day there. The lake is a good place to chill, but gets boring pretty quickly IMO. Antigua is the best, although it is very touristy.

Thats about what I was thinking as well. How is the transportation within the country? I am exited about the chicken buses but are there anything specific I should know about them?

Also, are there any places there where I can party a bit? I understand that Antigua is really the only viable place for a night out?!?

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thats about what I was thinking as well. How is the transportation within the country? I am exited about the chicken buses but are there anything specific I should know about them?

Also, are there any places there where I can party a bit? I understand that Antigua is really the only viable place for a night out?!?

You can do chicken buses, I also got these smaller vans for pretty cheap to Antigua when I needed to go there. If you take the buses you will encounter peeing into a shopping back then dropping it on the floor (with the handles tied closed of course) and what not.

Had several good nights in GC. I mean, very good nights. Go to Reilly's Irish Pub in Antigua. It was really cool, even if staffed by Brits, and the juxtaposition of an old town in rural Central America having an Irish pub was neat.

Pinhas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
You can do chicken buses, I also got these smaller vans for pretty cheap to Antigua when I needed to go there. If you take the buses you will encounter peeing into a shopping back then dropping it on the floor (with the handles tied closed of course) and what not.

Had several good nights in GC. I mean, very good nights. Go to Reilly's Irish Pub in Antigua. It was really cool, even if staffed by Brits, and the juxtaposition of an old town in rural Central America having an Irish pub was neat.

How good are we talking now? Some action with the local selection or with tourists?

Or am I on the wrong track here entirely?

I heard Antigua offers the best night life. Partying with people from around the world is one of my favorite things to do; learn a lot of new things.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics