1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Growing Sideburns

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by kwiteaboy, Sep 29, 2006.

1. kwiteaboy

kwiteaboy Senior member

If it makes you feel better, I can't (at age 38). I can grown something, but it's thin and spotty. I have the same issues with growing (or more to the point, not growing) a beard. I can do a decent goatee, but on my cheeks even weeks of growth just gets me a lame, patchy, half-assed Bob Dylan kind of thing.
    I've learned to live with the shame. [​IMG]

Actually, instead of making me feel better, it's thrown me into a pit of despair. It makes me think I'll never have the requisite sideburns if I decided I wanted to star in, say, Grey's Anatomy.

2. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I take it then that you're not going bald?
    Me? No. I have a full head of hair, and the woman who cuts it always comments on how thick it is (double entendre not intended), how quickly it grows, and how she is certain I will never go bald. So my lack of manliness apparently is limited to my face and not the top of the head.

3. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Actually, instead of making me feel better, it's thrown me into a pit of despair. It makes me think I'll never have the requisite sideburns if I decided I wanted to star in, say, Grey's Anatomy.
    I hear you. It took me years to get over the realization that I'd never make it as a Mojo Nixon impersonator.

4. Aaron

Aaron Senior member

Dude, you're 21; you are not done developing yet. I'm 22 and can't grow anything close to a full beard. Do I care? No. Why are you this concerned about sideburns? If you're willing to go to such lengths to help assert your masculinity I would consider looking a little deeper.

A.

5. kwiteaboy

kwiteaboy Senior member

Well, I'm kinda bored waiting for my GF to get home from work, so I used her makeup pencil thing to draw on some sideburns. They kind of looked trashy, so now I don't know if I care that I can't grow them.

6. whodini

whodini Senior member

Me? No. I have a full head of hair, and the woman who cuts it always comments on how thick it is (double entendre not intended), how quickly it grows, and how she is certain I will never go bald. So my lack of manliness apparently is limited to my face and not the top of the head.
    I knew it. It all goes back to your body being told not to convert testosterone to DHT. More DHT, more baldness/more facial hair. Less DHT, less baldness/less facial hair.

7. redcaimen

redcaimen Senior member

If I had a doctor who would prescribe hormones to let me grow sideburns, I'd get a new doctor.

Yeah, me too, right after I reported him for malpractice.

8. whodini

whodini Senior member

Yeah, me too, right after I reported him for malpractice.
    I'll ask you the same thing: What's the difference between growing hair on your face and growing hair on your head?

9. redcaimen

redcaimen Senior member

I'll ask you the same thing: What's the difference between growing hair on your face and growing hair on your head?

The difference is I have a heavy growth of hair on my face (at 21 I only had it under my chin and upper lip so buck up Kwiteaboy) and Im losing it on my head.

Seriously, the diff is not much, but while it would be nice to have my original hair back my advice to myself and everyone else in my predicament is man up and get over it. Either that or limit yourself to the absolute cheapest toupes you can find as humiliating punishment for your vanity.

10. raley

raley Senior member

Man, side burns really aren't all they are cracked up to be. I was kind of wondering why I couldn't grow them for a while, but now that I can, I wish that I didn't grow them. They don't look that good, and they are a pain in the ass to shave. They come out of nowhere with no warning, and it is really hard to get them even on both sides. Enjoy your sideburn-free period.

11. Max

Max Senior member

As someone who grew a full beard at 18 because he was tired of shaving, chill out. Just be glad you don't have to shave every thirty seconds; having a 5 o'clock shadow at noon isn't all it's cracked up to be.

12. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

I wish I could grow sideburns too. I can't hardly grow any facial hair. I like not having the rest of my beard but wish I could grow sideburns. My dad can't really either. Right now I have my sides grown longer so I can have faux sideburns if I want to, looks alright.

If you want to chemically grow facial hair you might be able to with some DHT cream of some sort. Head follicles are different than face follicles. Minoxidil (rogaine) might help too although I don't think it will mange to get them to grow too thick, most likely you'll get this gross long peach fuzz. Could try a 2% solution 2x daily.

Don't take hormones internally, that is just crazy. I'm not convinced that increased DHT will make you go bald up top but your prostate will certainly not be happy. If anything, apply a low dose cream topically, but I wouldn't even do this really. But if you do, be sure to go to an endocrinologist and have your hormone levels measured to make sure that systemically absorbed DHT doesn't screw you over.

13. speedy

speedy New Member

Im 16 and I have the same problem, I cant grow any sideburns, all my friends are like 15 or younger and they have long and pointy sideburns. I used to just grow out what hair I did have on the top of my ear and i put gel in it and gelled it down to the bottom of my ear but i didnt like how it looked so i just shaved it, My friend said if you go to certain barbers they have this thing thats really sharp like a knife but it doesnt cut skin , theyll press it really hard against wear your sideburns are supposed to be and you gotta keep doing that for about a month - 2months , i suggest you just buy a sideburn trimmer and keep cutting the hairs wear your sideburns are supposed to be, EVEN IF YOU DONT SEE ANY HAIRS , theres hairs there ,i am also blonde and when you begin to grow blonde hair its hard to see. keep cutting the mini hairs and you should see an outline of hair wear you cut around your ears .

14. Bandwagonesque

Bandwagonesque Senior member

The only acceptable sideburns are 2" straight cuts, or >2" mutton/pork chops only. [​IMG] Pointy or <1"? Go home, nancy.

15. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

I had sideburns in highschool because most people couldn't grow them and I thought it was cool. Now at 28 I am getting hair on my shoulders. Not cool.

Contrast this with my uncle and cousin who don't have any chest hair and about 4 leg hairs. That's just how it goes. You are what you are.

16. straypicker

straypicker New Member

I feel your hairless pain brother, I too am facial hair growth challenged. However one of my in laws who has a handlebar mustache, full on chops and a goatee told me that the one and only solution... is to shave twice a day. That's it... shave those hairless sideburn areas and in time they will start to produce little baby hairs, but you have to stick with it. I'm 24 and just recently started the shaving regiment, after 6 months I've started to produce chop hair above my jaw line, though it has yet to reach my ear/hair line, though I am not strict with my shaving regiment. Hang in there, bad ass chops are in your future if you commit yourself to the twice a day shave. Hormones are not the answer, messing with your natural chemistry is a surefire way to stir a cocktail of disaster, your cool appearance might be hampered by a puberty rest button complete with bad acne and sexual frustration.

17. oneblood

oneblood Senior member

my shaving regiment.
    Damn, you must be rich to be able to afford a group of soldiers just to shave you.

18. Black Cherry

Black Cherry Senior member

This thread has been pretty informative. My hairline has been receding since I was a teenager but I can grow mutton chops that could wrestle a grizzly bear. Weakest upper-lip growth ever, though. What a cruel world.

19. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

I thought it had been soundly determined that shaving does not promote hair growth?!?

20. Khekz

Khekz New Member

i hate quotes