• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Growing Sideburns

Max

Reaction score
As someone who grew a full beard at 18 because he was tired of shaving, chill out. Just be glad you don't have to shave every thirty seconds; having a 5 o'clock shadow at noon isn't all it's cracked up to be.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish I could grow sideburns too. I can't hardly grow any facial hair. I like not having the rest of my beard but wish I could grow sideburns. My dad can't really either. Right now I have my sides grown longer so I can have faux sideburns if I want to, looks alright.

If you want to chemically grow facial hair you might be able to with some DHT cream of some sort. Head follicles are different than face follicles. Minoxidil (rogaine) might help too although I don't think it will mange to get them to grow too thick, most likely you'll get this gross long peach fuzz. Could try a 2% solution 2x daily.

Don't take hormones internally, that is just crazy. I'm not convinced that increased DHT will make you go bald up top but your prostate will certainly not be happy. If anything, apply a low dose cream topically, but I wouldn't even do this really. But if you do, be sure to go to an endocrinologist and have your hormone levels measured to make sure that systemically absorbed DHT doesn't screw you over.

speedy

Reaction score
Im 16 and I have the same problem, I cant grow any sideburns, all my friends are like 15 or younger and they have long and pointy sideburns. I used to just grow out what hair I did have on the top of my ear and i put gel in it and gelled it down to the bottom of my ear but i didnt like how it looked so i just shaved it, My friend said if you go to certain barbers they have this thing thats really sharp like a knife but it doesnt cut skin , theyll press it really hard against wear your sideburns are supposed to be and you gotta keep doing that for about a month - 2months , i suggest you just buy a sideburn trimmer and keep cutting the hairs wear your sideburns are supposed to be, EVEN IF YOU DONT SEE ANY HAIRS , theres hairs there ,i am also blonde and when you begin to grow blonde hair its hard to see. keep cutting the mini hairs and you should see an outline of hair wear you cut around your ears .

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only acceptable sideburns are 2" straight cuts, or >2" mutton/pork chops only.
teacha.gif
Pointy or <1"? Go home, nancy.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had sideburns in highschool because most people couldn't grow them and I thought it was cool. Now at 28 I am getting hair on my shoulders. Not cool.

Contrast this with my uncle and cousin who don't have any chest hair and about 4 leg hairs. That's just how it goes. You are what you are.

straypicker

Reaction score
I feel your hairless pain brother, I too am facial hair growth challenged. However one of my in laws who has a handlebar mustache, full on chops and a goatee told me that the one and only solution... is to shave twice a day. That's it... shave those hairless sideburn areas and in time they will start to produce little baby hairs, but you have to stick with it. I'm 24 and just recently started the shaving regiment, after 6 months I've started to produce chop hair above my jaw line, though it has yet to reach my ear/hair line, though I am not strict with my shaving regiment. Hang in there, bad ass chops are in your future if you commit yourself to the twice a day shave. Hormones are not the answer, messing with your natural chemistry is a surefire way to stir a cocktail of disaster, your cool appearance might be hampered by a puberty rest button complete with bad acne and sexual frustration.

oneblood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by straypicker
my shaving regiment.
Damn, you must be rich to be able to afford a group of soldiers just to shave you.

Black Cherry

Reaction score
This thread has been pretty informative. My hairline has been receding since I was a teenager but I can grow mutton chops that could wrestle a grizzly bear. Weakest upper-lip growth ever, though. What a cruel world.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought it had been soundly determined that shaving does not promote hair growth?!?

Maximator

Reaction score
Im 16 and I have the same problem, I cant grow any sideburns, all my friends are like 15 or younger and they have long and pointy sideburns. I used to just grow out what hair I did have on the top of my ear and i put gel in it and gelled it down to the bottom of my ear but i didnt like how it looked so i just shaved it, My friend said if you go to certain barbers they have this thing thats really sharp like a knife but it doesnt cut skin , theyll press it really hard against wear your sideburns are supposed to be and you gotta keep doing that for about a month - 2months , i suggest you just buy a sideburn trimmer and keep cutting the hairs wear your sideburns are supposed to be, EVEN IF YOU DONT SEE ANY HAIRS , theres hairs there ,i am also blonde and when you begin to grow blonde hair its hard to see. keep cutting the mini hairs and you should see an outline of hair wear you cut around your ears .
First of all, you're 16 years old. Your body(and thus how much and where you grow hair) is nowhere near finished. the fact that your friends have sideburns means nothing. Some people(usually middle easterners) tend to get facial hair a lot earlier than others and others (Asians) usually never get it. So be patient, and I'm sure you'll grow sideburns one day.

As for your barber thing. IF something is really sharp, then it will cut skin. I think you're referring to an old school straight razor. The reason not all barbers have them is because they are hard to use, especially on other people. Believe me when I tell you, they DO cut skin very easily.
http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=I.4959335071547884&pid=15.1 <= Straight razor

Also, as has been mentioned before, cutting your hair won't make it grow more or stronger.

Last but not least, it's "where" not "wear". Where is used when talking about a location, and wear is when you are wearing clothes.

Maximator

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads