• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Group MTO for insignificant but hard to find items

sprout2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We tend to see GMTOs for unusual and rare colors of fabrics or shoe combinations. I'm looking for something more elementary, which is filling those holes in the wardrobe of basic staples I envision but can never seem to find. I'm bored of having to wait each season in the hopes of sniping one of these.

I thought we could work together to achieve critical mass and finally get everyone the staples they need, progressively working our way to more complex requests. Since these are not complex makes or one-off runs that need to be organized with the makers, rather than coordinate with a vendor first and then solicit subscriptions, I am turning this on its head: I think if we bring X committed buyers and are ready to make an order of X pieces of a staple item (that just doesn't happen to be in season), the process will be easy. I also think it is far preferable for a maker to receive a bulk order that is ready, rather than the hand-wringing process of preparing samples for what may or may not become a subscription.

1. 100% wool (or cashmere?) mid-gray pointed knit tie in 7.5 (?) cm.

2. Nailhead dark green (not forest) silk tie. Dark green (darker than forest green), with a black cast. Could be made through Vanda. They have similar offerings in other colors and are a forum affiliate and favorite.

Last edited:

semperexcelsius

Reaction score
For ties, it might be helpful to reach out to David at Sam Hober. For ties that you're looking for that he doesn't stock, he still might be able to get ahold of the fabric and make ties if there's significant interest, like you said. Then, people might be able to make sure they get the length/width they want—personally, 7cm is too skinny for me.

sprout2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For ties, it might be helpful to reach out to David at Sam Hober. For ties that you're looking for that he doesn't stock, he still might be able to get ahold of the fabric and make ties if there's significant interest, like you said. Then, people might be able to make sure they get the length/width they want—personally, 7cm is too skinny for me.

This is for a knit tie. Actually, I would go up to 7.5cm. 3" is good.
You are in a very small minority if you wear knit ties at the same width as silk ties.
Usually knit ties are between 2 and 2.5'', which is why I wanted it wider. Do you think 7.5 is good?

David Hober is not committed to making knit ties at this point (they're not something that is sewn together, as they are knitted on tubular machines.)

semperexcelsius

Reaction score
This is for a knit tie. Actually, I would go up to 7.5cm. 3" is good.
You are in a very small minority if you wear knit ties at the same width as silk ties.
Usually knit ties are between 2 and 2.5'', which is why I wanted it wider. Do you think 7.5 is good?

David Hober is not committed to making knit ties at this point (they're not something that is sewn together, as they are knitted on tubular machines.)
Yeah, 7.5cm/3" works for me. I know knit ties are generally skinnier, but I wear my "normal" ties at 3.75".

I mentioned Hober for any future ties that aren't knit (I know you mentioned the forrest green in GNAT)... strangely, though, there's a thread on AAAC where some claim that a pointed end knit is just a grenadine. That doesn't seem right to me, though.

bloodyj13

Reaction score
hi everybody, I like the idea and the tie, may I join in?

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I emailed @Sam Hober about the general idea of group MTO's for neckties (and other small things). I'm also happy @davesmith also stumbled across this thread. I'm very much hoping it goes somewhere, but I'd say the logistics of this need to be worked out, or at least reasonably planned, for a GMTO did get serious headway

As the owner of a silver/gray knit, I'm not interested in this particular MTO; I am, however, wanting the perfect rust neat.

Last edited:

sprout2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I emailed @Sam Hober about the general idea of group MTO's for neckties (and other small things). I'm also happy @davesmith also stumbled across this thread. I'm very much hoping it goes somewhere, but I'd say the logistics of this need to be worked out, or at least reasonably planned, for a GMTO did get serious headway

As the owner of a silver/gray knit, I'm not interested in this particular MTO; I am, however, wanting the perfect rust neat.

I think we should have concurrent subscriptions for people who may be interested in one thing but not the other. Maybe about 3 concurrent?

Maybe @davesmith could create some placeholder checkout pages and people could use these to commit to a subscription in a general fashion?

Like everything I do, I am approaching this in an organic fashion instead of having a top-down plan. I know "consider every possible algorithm before proceeding" is the CM style, but bear with me.

Last edited:

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In for the grey knit tie.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I emailed @Sam Hober
about the general idea of group MTO's for neckties (and other small things). I'm also happy @davesmith
also stumbled across this thread. I'm very much hoping it goes somewhere, but I'd say the logistics of this need to be worked out, or at least reasonably planned, for a GMTO did get serious headway

As the owner of a silver/gray knit, I'm not interested in this particular MTO; I am, however, wanting the [COLOR=B22222]perfect rust neat[/COLOR].

Claghorn,

Thank you for your email.

Currently I am interested in regimental ties and if there was a regimental stripe that was of interest it would probably be easy to have it woven with no minimum order if we have a design sample - we only make customized ties - I mention this as I am not sure what MTO means in this thread.

For another type of design never say never - we have a staff artist - feel free to email me with ideas.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
@Sam Hober

Well, just as an example, let's say there were a number of us looking for the perfect rust neat. Though it's a great color, rust is sometimes hard to find. @Henry Carter carried a really nice one for a while there. Would it be possible for you to talk to a silk supplier and get some various samples (or images) of rust neats provided there are enough of us willing to commit to ordering the neat? We'd then vote on which silk to have the ties made with, you'd order the silk, and then everything else proceeds as normal (you make wonderful ties for us, we gladly throw money at you).

If this is workable, how many folks would need to commit for you to be comfortable going forward?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads