• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Group Dinning ordering

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an all day interview that ends with a group dinner which is paid for. I was wondering what is proper way to go about ordering? SHould i stay conservitive and go for something cheap? Thoughts?

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't order the most expensive items on the menu. But even more important is to order quickly and decisively and stick to something you can eat easily and elegantly (i.e. a steak or fish fillet as opposed to a lobster or quail).

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
Don't order the most expensive items on the menu. But even more important is to order quickly and decisively and stick to something you can eat easily and elegantly (i.e. a steak or fish fillet as opposed to a lobster or quail).

agreed, decisive and clean are the most important points.

one other thing - while you shouldn't try to order what your interviewer orders, keep in mind the culture of the team. if you are with 3 guys who order steaks, order meat. if they all order salads, order a salad.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for dinner, generally, you should order a steak: it's something you can eat with a fork and knife, and it won't splatter. I hope you're not too hungry, you're not there to eat.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now the only problem is i'm a vegetarian.

Earthmover

Reaction score
What I've always been told is to follow others' lead, especially when it comes to things like appetizers. And generally, don't order alcohol (maybe a glass of wine is okay for dinner) even if the others do so.

If you are vegetarian, just order something you can eat, and I wouldn't make a big deal of it. It would also be easier to do a lunch in your case, as dinners are usually meat-oriented for many.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads