Group Dinning ordering

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by demeis, Mar 29, 2006.

1. demeis

demeis Senior member

I have an all day interview that ends with a group dinner which is paid for. I was wondering what is proper way to go about ordering? SHould i stay conservitive and go for something cheap? Thoughts?

2. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Don't order the most expensive items on the menu. But even more important is to order quickly and decisively and stick to something you can eat easily and elegantly (i.e. a steak or fish fillet as opposed to a lobster or quail).

3. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

Don't order the most expensive items on the menu. But even more important is to order quickly and decisively and stick to something you can eat easily and elegantly (i.e. a steak or fish fillet as opposed to a lobster or quail).

agreed, decisive and clean are the most important points.

one other thing - while you shouldn't try to order what your interviewer orders, keep in mind the culture of the team. if you are with 3 guys who order steaks, order meat. if they all order salads, order a salad.

4. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

for dinner, generally, you should order a steak: it's something you can eat with a fork and knife, and it won't splatter. I hope you're not too hungry, you're not there to eat.

5. demeis

demeis Senior member

Now the only problem is i'm a vegetarian.

6. Earthmover

Earthmover Senior member

What I've always been told is to follow others' lead, especially when it comes to things like appetizers. And generally, don't order alcohol (maybe a glass of wine is okay for dinner) even if the others do so.

If you are vegetarian, just order something you can eat, and I wouldn't make a big deal of it. It would also be easier to do a lunch in your case, as dinners are usually meat-oriented for many.