1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

GROUP BUYS

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Renault78law, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

I've always wondered this about our forum...why no group buys?.?..? I believe that the peccary glove group deal is the first group buy to ever grace our pages. Maybe the Grenson deal could be considered another...but by and large, nothing. However, check out most other forums, and you'll see tons. See eg. car audio forums, or aftermarket car modification forums. Since the NYT's article, our base has grown considerably. Don't you think we could put this to good use? Obviously, nobody wants the same tie, or even the same shirt. But the glove deal is a good start. How about the shoe trees that hitman posted? How about group buys for suiting or shirt fabric? Socks? Underwear? Links? Shoes? It doesn't have to necessarily be orchestrated by a single member, transactions could be done at the merchant directly at the 'styleforum window', similar to how we order at Bennies or FIH (at sale time). What do guys think? Am I crazy?

2. j

j Senior member Admin

Sounds like a good idea to me. I've seen this done with good results on car forums, though I haven't participated myself. For those unfamiliar with the concept, basically the vendor will agree to a significantly lower price if a certain number of sales is guaranteed.

However, as you said, it would probably have to be for items everyone would want, that aren't too individual or taste-subjective. Shoe trees are a great example. I'm sure that if 10 people each wanted 5 pairs of very good trees (which is a conservative estimate actually) there would probably be buying power to dictate a very low price, or a special run made to an agreed-upon specification.

Ideas/thoughts?

3. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

Since I was the first one in on the gloves (thanks to the vagaries of time zones), I obviously think this is a grand idea. There are other reasons also, namely being able to take advantage of each others' expertise and access. Chris is the model with his Grensons. I may not know much about gloves, but I will be going to a couple of Christmas markets here in Germany this weekend (for example) and put eyes on things that just aren't available back home. The dollar may be weak vice the Euro, but I send mail without paying customs, perfectly legally.

Tom

4. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

How about those badass Oxxford hangers? I understand that they will cover the Oxxford symbol with an inscribed plaque if you'd like. We could get some that say "Styleforum." What do you think?

5. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Ooooh, how about a PLAL group buy? Â I've got shoes on order from Ron @ Franco's and Chris @ Bennie's but we all need more... Â [​IMG] I like the idea of links, too. Â I just don't have a lot of ideas about the right vendor. dan

6. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Senior member

$35 each retail? Would have to be a helluva discount.

7. HitMan009

HitMan009 Senior member

Does anyone have a picture of that hanger in question? I remember reading about it in a magazine but can't for the life of me remember which magazine it was....

If we can get a discount on those hangers, count me in for at least 5...

8. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

You're probably thinking about the article in Vitals. Unfortunately, I don't have a digital version of the picture or a way to scan it. Anybody else?

9. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

I think the Oxxford hangers is a great idea.

Perhaps we could flush out the method a bit better? I see it happening one of two ways:

1) Contact Oxxford in Chicago and inquire as to whether they would be willing to sell, say 100 hangers, directly to individual members (or a single member) at wholesale cost. Or,

2) Contact a Oxxford dealer or distributor, and inquire whether they would put an order for 100 hangers on our behalf. Of course, they would take a small profit on each hanger sold.

Any other ideas for setting this into motion? It seems like option #2 would be the most likely, because Oxxford Inc. probably won't sell to individuals, only dealers. What do you think?

It would seem crucial to determine the number of hangers we'd buy first. We could create a scale: how many hangers would you buy at $10 each, how many would you buy at $15 each, how many at $20? etc. That would give us a rough estimate of demand, so we could tell if it was worth doing, and negotiate the best price. Comments?

10. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

$10 or more for a hanger - sorry but that seems kind of ridiculous to me. I understand paying money for clothing and such, but with just a quick perusal on Google for hangers, I see where I can pick up 100 quality wood hangers for $1.49 each. www.hangers.com Now I'll admit, I haven't seen one of these magical Oxxford hangers, but unless they press my suit while it's hanging, I can't see the point. Sorry - this doesn't sound like the type of deal I'd be up for. Bradford

11. Kaga

Kaga Senior member

That makes me think... They don't sell this gorgeous C&J Handgrade shoe in London or on plal, but the plal proprietor told me that they could special order it if 12 people placed an order... Not sure if we'd all have to be the same size though -- What do you guys think? Here are some links to pictures: http://www.souliers.net/php/images/b...tavistock2.jpg http://www.souliers.net/php/images/b...tavistock8.jpg http://www.souliers.net/php/images/b...tavistock3.jpg

12. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

I'm sure you wouldn't have to buy the same size. Clothing isn't sold that way. Also, what is the leather quality on those?

13. HitMan009

HitMan009 Senior member

Yes.. Wingtips without the perforating. Â I am in. Â I dare say the C & J model looks better then the Edward Green similiar styled shoe.

14. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

count me in on the shoes.

15. Kaga

Kaga Senior member

The leather quality is superb. C&J handgrades are made to at least as high or a higher spec than Grenson Masterpieces. Can people who are interested PM me using the styleforum messenger and if we get enough interest I will contact Mr Doshi at plal and see if we could place an order for the shoe?

16. novalis

novalis Senior member

(1) Kugo shoe trees - Yes. (2) Hangars - Yes. I like the integrated suit/trouser hangars from Cable Car Clothiers (scroll about 1/3 of the page down).

17. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

Oxxford suit hangars are a great deal at about $20 a piece. They will extend the life of a suit by at least 30% in my opinion when compared to an average hangar, and are probably slightly better than the $20 hangars you can find at Hold Everything.

18. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

OK - not to be a pain here but why?[​IMG] I can understand how using a wire hanger could shorten the life of a garment, but how could using one wood hanger over another lengthen the life of a suit. This seems to be a clear case of paying for a name (Oxxford) rather than just looking at the underlying quality of the item and that is something that this forum is usually quite good at avoiding. Bradford

19. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

The Oxxford hangers are molded in the shape of the male body.  The wood used is so incredibly thick that the jacket rests on it in the same way it would rest on human shoulders.  The $20 hangers that I purchased at Hold Everything are good (they are the thickest ones there), but still aren't as thick as the Oxxford.  Moreover, the Oxxford hangers are contoured better, which makes a difference.  They are also lacquer finished, not just glazed wood.  Trust me when I say they are at least 25% better than the Hold Everything hangers.

I guess my point would be that the garment is better supported in the hanging position through the collar and shoulders. Until you use one, I just am not sure it's possible to translate very well.

20. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I would be interested in some Oxxford hangers if we could get the price to an acceptable level, do you guys think they could come down to the $10 range?