• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grosgrain vest?

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am going to order a one-button peaked lapel evening jacket with grosgrain lapels. I want to get a three button vest too. Should the vest be in grosgrain? Silk brocade? Something else?

Thanks,
Z

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think it should match your lapels.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
I think it should match your lapels.

Thanks. Do you do the entire front of the vest in grosgrain, or just the vest's lapels?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My vests are done in the same material across the entire front. And for those three-button formal vests, I can't recall seeing it done differently, but I'm sure one of our soi-dissant rule-enforcing experts will weigh in shortly.

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a Purple Label vest off eBay, and the whole front is grosgrain, for what it's worth.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by needshoehelp
I bought a Purple Label vest off eBay, and the whole front is grosgrain, for what it's worth.

thanks

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Style like this, right? Please excuse attrocious Microsoft Paint skyllz.
49152166ib3.jpg

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have one like that and one with a kind of inverted shawl--very similar, but rounded corners. I use them interchangeably.

lordofpi

Reaction score
Mine too has grosgrain peaked lapels on a worsted jacket, and the formal waistcoat is the same: worsted with peaked grosgrain lapels. A complete grosgrain vest might be nice, but off the top of my head it sounds to be a bit much.

jkw

Reaction score
Isn't that a formal vest? I'm not completely sure about vests with black tie, but is it appropriate?
edit: Yep, I've never seen this style of vest in anything other than the white pique material...

Eccentric

Reaction score
A vest is the more formal of the two accepted waist coverings for black tie. They are not widely sold off the rack, usualy being made by a tailor on a per order basis.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
SR typically makes a black tie vest from self cloth. I've seen them all self, and self with grosgrain lapels. I believe all self is more common. I've not seen an all grosgrain vest from SR, though I have seen them at Favourbrooke and those other little vest shops in the West End arcades. BB also sells them, or used to.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
SR typically makes a black tie vest from self cloth. I've seen them all self, and self with grosgrain lapels. I believe all self is more common. I've not seen an all grosgrain vest from SR, though I have seen them at Favourbrooke and those other little vest shops in the West End arcades. BB also sells them, or used to.

And the style I pictured is appropriate with "black tie", yes? If not, what is the alternative you prefer?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
And the style I pictured is appropriate with "black tie", yes? If not, what is the alternative you prefer?

That's the right cut, yes.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
Thanks. Do you do the entire front of the vest in grosgrain, or just the vest's lapels?

I suppose you could do either. Just the lapels/lapels is more traditional by now and will signal that you went to a Serious Tailor. Nevertheless, I'm sure there is precedent for doing up the whole vest in silk and it wouldn't look too bad. Especially when the jacket is on and buttoned (or just closed, if it is well cut), the vest is just an accent piece. So feel free to take a few chances if you like.

And yes, the low-cut variety with 3 buttons and squared-bottom lapels is correct.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads