• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Groomsmen Suits

kennyg2626

Reaction score
I am getting married June 29th, 2013 and am looking for suits for my groomsmen, however, I am in a bit of a predicament.

First of all, we have a very, very big wedding party. I have 12 groomsmen and will need 13 suits for the wedding day. I could go the simple rout and get Jos A. Bank suits for around $200 each but I really don't want to wear what I consider an "old man suit" at my own wedding. Some of the groomsmen are a little "bigger" and would be fine in a suit like this, but the other half are all slim and would be better off in a more modern suit, I fall into this category.

I have looked at J. Crew and Banana and really like their suiting options but I am not sure that they carry suits that would fit some of my groomsmen. Also, their suits are $400+ and I would not feel comfortable asking my groomsmen to spend that much money on their suits.

My original thought was Indochino because they are MTM and will offer me a group discount. Unfortunately, I have read many bad reviews on Indochino and don't think it is worth the risk to have their suits not fit properly.

I am looking to keep the cost at around $300 a suit and am open to cotton as well as wool suits. It is a summer wedding so something lighter might not be bad. Does anyone have any suggestions of other companies that are similar to Indochino that could work for guys of all sizes? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

wishiwasricher

Reaction score
12? Maybe you could cut costs by being a bit more discriminatory with the number of groomsman?

Only kidding. Im getting married in Nov so i know the hassles. Maybe try suit supply. They seem to have better recommendations than indochina and are probably just near the price range.

The only other option is wait for sales and hope you can pick up suits that are more expensive at discount. Dont like your chances of getting 12 in different sizes though.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not that I am condoning Joseph a bank, but they do offer a tailored fit option, which is good for your trimmer groomsmen.

The other option to consider is that not everyone has to match.

jt10000

Reaction score
A bunch of guys in the same suit looks silly unless you're in the military or something. Get the guys to dress well, with the same level of formality and perhaps even related colors. But the same? You'll look like a bunch of schoolboys.

Morgan

Reaction score
Is there some reason why all the groomsmen must wear the same suit? I was in a wedding last summer for which I had to purchase a j.crew khaki chino suit - even though I already owned a much nicer Ralph Lauren Black Label khaki chino suit. Most of the groomsmen never even took theirs to the tailor, and their comically long sleeves and unhemmed trousers looked as as bad as rentals. If you look at older photos of wedding parties, the mens' suits rarely match, yet they look leagues better than your typical array of five dudes crammed into matching outfits.

Why not simply specify an easy-to-match color, such as solid navy or solid gray, and let each man find a well-fitting suit? Most will even have one in their closet already, and will be grateful for not having to spend more money. If you ask that their sleeves show 1/4 - 1/2" of cuff and trousers have just a little break, your group would look sharper than about 95% of groomsmen I've ever seen.

The more sensible brides I've known have done something similar - they give a couple swatches of cloth to their bridesmaids and ask them to find dresses in that approximate shade, which gives them leeway to find a dress that will flatter their individual shape.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a thought: don't join a site and immediately pester everyone with stupid questions about your gigantic hillbilly wedding. nobody gives a ****.

This takes douchebaggery to a new level, even for SF.

Joker Man

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am getting married June 29th, 2013 and am looking for suits for my groomsmen, however, I am in a bit of a predicament.

First of all, we have a very, very big wedding party. I have 12 groomsmen and will need 13 suits for the wedding day. I could go the simple rout and get Jos A. Bank suits for around $200 each but I really don't want to wear what I consider an "old man suit" at my own wedding. Some of the groomsmen are a little "bigger" and would be fine in a suit like this, but the other half are all slim and would be better off in a more modern suit, I fall into this category.

I have looked at J. Crew and Banana and really like their suiting options but I am not sure that they carry suits that would fit some of my groomsmen. Also, their suits are $400+ and I would not feel comfortable asking my groomsmen to spend that much money on their suits.

My original thought was Indochino because they are MTM and will offer me a group discount. Unfortunately, I have read many bad reviews on Indochino and don't think it is worth the risk to have their suits not fit properly.

I am looking to keep the cost at around $300 a suit and am open to cotton as well as wool suits. It is a summer wedding so something lighter might not be bad. Does anyone have any suggestions of other companies that are similar to Indochino that could work for guys of all sizes? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
JC Penney?

johnvw

Reaction score

Here's a thought: don't join a site and immediately pester everyone with stupid questions about your gigantic hillbilly wedding. nobody gives a ****.

Here's a better thought: Don't post unwarranted comments based on ill-conceived assumptions.

deandbn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Do not force them to all wear the same suit. Let them wear their own clothes.

I agree.

Maybe you could give some colour giudelines such as. Grey suits with blue and white in the shirts, ties and pocket squares, and enjoy the individuality.

kennyg2626

Reaction score
Thank you to everyone for their reply. I am definitely not opposed to everyone wearing different suits and that might be a better option instead of forcing people to get suits that won't work for them. I believe we are going to do a light grey suit and while some people will have to end up buying one, others will probably have something that will match.

Thanks for the response, JakeLA. Congrats on being an internet hero.

PASstudy

Reaction score
Brother just asked me to be his best man. I literally googled my official tasks and surprisingly to me one of the 1st listed was handle the formal-wear for groomsmen. There will only be 2 men in the "grooms party?" The groom and I. Ditto for the bridal party. Will be Aug in the mountains near Santa Cruz, CA. Bro has stated he wants to buy the 2 suits. So far all he has expressed is seersucker.

What other details should I nail down from him? He's a very laid-back, typical Cali guy whom I've never seen in formal clothes outside family events.

After that I need any good recomendations. I want to put a $1200/suit limit tentatively. I don't think he really wants to blow it out but I can get a hard number soon I bet. I live in the NY metro area, have had limited experience with MTM/bespoke, mostly shirts.

Would anyone like to recommend some good shops in NY area that stock sersucker? Bro will have no problem getting measured, fitted etc... here but if you know of any great places out near Santa Cruz, we have a year. i put some feelers out to Mr Ned, Suitsupply and some others.

Thanks in advance for the help. this site has been great in the short time I've been lurking/posting.

nbrodierose

Reaction score
I am getting married myself in late July this year. If you still have not bought your suits or if anybody else cares, I have been given the suggestion to go with H&M suits. They are very reasonably priced and definitely have a tailored (slim) fit. I think they also have a more traditional fit for the not so slim groomsman. I tried one on this past weekend and was pleasantly surprised. For the price, they aren't terrible suits (about $200 for a suit and slacks). The quality leaves something to be desired (it is H&M after all) and the color/fabric selection is pretty limited.

http://www.hm.com/us/subdepartment/MEN?Nr=4294924830

good luck!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads