• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Groom-to-be looking for good value tux

jtbassic

Reaction score
I'm a groom-to-be trying to avoid the tacky poor-fitting rental tuxedos I've worn so many times in other people's weddings.

I'd like to buy a tuxedo and am looking to spend under $500 (not necessarily including the accessories). I like the classic peak lapel look but I am open to suggestion. I don't know where to go to get a deal but I hate spending full price on anything and I'm weary of no-name brands.

Today I went to Keezer's a well known (locally) discount men's clothing store in Cambridge, MA. Of the 4 or 5 tuxedos I tried on I liked a Roberto Zanieri one the best. Very similar to this one:

http://www.buy4lesstuxedo.com/index....Zanieri-Tuxedo

but for $490.

I hate to buy the first thing I like so I'm looking for advice from the hive-mind. Any suggestions?

jtbassic

Reaction score
so far Smudge has said this:

"You could do worse that this: http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/Mayfair-Bla...=MensTailoring comes in at about US$400 (actually it should be less given that VAT will be deducted and they currently have a 10% sale on suits)

Welcome to SF BTW"

which I like...but they don't have my size....

I'm a 38S by the way. Although I'm wondering if I can get away with tailoring a 38R if need be...??

JhwkMac

Reaction score
Valentino Tux pretty damn sharp, north of $1500 retail, super 150s fabric, satin pockets and buttons, one button closure, dual vent, peak lapel, slim fit. and you'll have enough money left over for a nice pair of cufflinks (option 1 and 2)and perhaps a Lanvin satin grosgrain bowtie. Congratulations on the nuptials.

jtbassic

Reaction score
Thanks for the ebay links!! Some good reviews on that particular ebay seller. Is M. Valentino a known brand?

I did try on the Paul Stuart. I liked it but I actually liked the Roberto Zanieri one better....I suppose Paul Stuart is more well known though.

I'm not hung up on name brand but it makes it easier to judge quality...(at least for a newbie like me)

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jtbassic
So what level of Ralph Lauren is this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Ralph-Lauren...item5636928014

I'm guessing it's probably from their low-end line. I couldn't imagine that this is a steal if there are more than 10 available.

They lost me here:

These OFFICIALLY LICENSED Ralph Lauren Tuxes are sold with a notch collar (most popular by far)

...if only he carried 38L, I would've purchased a Wizard of Aahs Valentino years ago. You cannot go wrong. Pull the trigger, use what you've saved to visit a tailor, and you'll have a classic garment that fits like a glove for well under $500.

jtbassic

Reaction score
Thanks random-adam....that did sound a little fishy.

I certainly like the look of the MV and the reviews are good.....It's weird but something about all that good press scares me.....as if once you buy a suit from the wizard you are under his spell and can only speak good things about his suits. I guess I'm just used to seeing some bad reviews mixed in.....but this could be a very good thing.

Before I buy one, does anybody have any reason I should NOT by an MV?

jtbassic

Reaction score
Well beyond any more M Valentino reviews.... can anyone help me with shirt and shoes?

Shirt: I hate the oversized, balloon shirts that come with rentals. Can I get a reasonably price fitted shirt? Can a tailor slim a regular shirt?

Shoes: I like shiny but not sure I want to go patent leather....any suggestions?

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So what level of Ralph Lauren is this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Ralph-Lauren...item5636928014

I'm guessing it's probably from their low-end line. I couldn't imagine that this is a steal if there are more than 10 available.

RUN AWAY from Lauren by Ralph Lauren. "Green Label" products are licensed ones made pretty much exclusively for discount stores.

Plus, stay away from notched lapel tuxes. Supposed to be for business suits.

jtbassic

Reaction score
Thanks jrd617

Any thoughts on the M Valentino or about getting a good looking tux shirt?

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TM Lewin has slim fit tuxedo shirts, their stuff is good value I think

alternatively check out ebay seller amy hard hat

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks jrd617

Any thoughts on the M Valentino or about getting a good looking tux shirt?

Is M. Valentino the ebay brand sold by Wizard of Aahs? I seem to remember a couple members here with good reviews for the money. If it is, then I say go for it, and have it tailored really well

jtbassic

Reaction score
Thanks makewayhomer, the TM Lewin shirts look nice and are in my price range

I can't find that ebay seller though.....

Thanks cioni2k

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads