• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Groom-to-be looking for good value tux

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't know if it's your thing, but have you tried hitting a few thrift stores in your area? You might find some gold. I recently found a vintage bespoke Cifonelli tuxedo in mint condition - as you might imagine, people don't wear them often. I'm sure a tux of this quality/craftsmanship would cost at least $5,000. I paid $10, for an all-hand made tux in top quality fabric. You could put the $390 you have left over toward the honeymoon.

jtbassic

Reaction score
I haven't tried that yet. The men's store I was at recently had some used suits but nothing decent.......not sure how much time I want to kill in this pursuit but I agree I'm sure there are some great used bargains out there

jtbassic

Reaction score
So are satin lapels (bowties, vest) considered tacky? Or just maybe not as refined as grosgrain? It seems I'll eaither have to increase my budget or spend a big chunk of time looking for some sort of bargain if I want to go for something better than satin.

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jtbassic
So are satin lapels (bowties, vest) considered tacky? Or just maybe not as refined as grosgrain? It seems I'll eaither have to increase my budget or spend a big chunk of time looking for some sort of bargain if I want to go for something better than satin.

Not tacky, just a little more flashy. Grosgrain is more refined.

Will C.

Reaction score
Take inspiration from the bride: she puts down thousands on a hand-made dress to be worn once, while a dinner jacket can be worn any number of times. Just make sure it doesn't have notch lapels or flapped pockets
smile.gif

jtbassic

Reaction score
Will C. I completely agree with your logic but although her parents pretty much said "we'll buy you any dress you'd like" I am still left with a budget and a lot of other wedding stuff to pay for. If they weren't so ugly I would have just gone with a rental. That being said, I really like the low cut waistcoat look and I feel like the most reasonably priced one that doesn't look cheap isn't exactly inexpensive (BB): http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...&sectionsize=# Will this go a satin lapel jacket? Or only grosgrain?

jtbassic

Reaction score
thomasmadison..... you wouldn't happen to be associated with the Suit Rack would you?

buzzy2010

Reaction score
I lurk from time to time and have gained some useful information and now its time to give back. This thread got me interested and the best advice I have is - satin, grosgrain, peak, notch all six of one half a dozen of another - the best of the best wear them all (refer my first link below). Its how you wear it that's going to count (again, refer links and all will be clear). Having read and taken in all the views, the best thing now is to pick a look that represents how you would like to present on your Big Day on a guy with SIMILAR build to yours and go from there. Some of the links I will post at the end are a very good start. I liked the Piven shot that you posted and I suggest you check out these links and then google "best worst dressed men" to find even more lists. When you find someone whose look you consistently like and whose build is like yours ie Piven, Hamm, Pitt or even Brand, if that;s your thing, then google that person's name "X black tie photos" or images and you'll get a good selection. The first link was my first find and I think its about the best - everything from satin, grosgrain, paisley, peaked, shawl (on Tom Ford no less) and even a tartan waistcoat - great if you're scottish. Now that you have some views and advice, use it on the photos you surf. Have fun surfing and I think you now have enough info and fab shots of sharp looking men to justify unleashing that credit card. Remember, the photos will linger long after your first child's 21st! http://lelaluxe.onsugar.com/search/b...st+dressed+men http://www.esquire.com/the-side/styl...s-best-dressed http://www.esquire.com/the-side/styl...essed#fbIndex9 http://www.esquire.com/the-side/styl...y-fashion-2010 http://uk.stylelist.com/2010/01/04/g...t-dressed-men/ http://www.google.com.au/images?um=1...=&oq=&gs_rfai= http://www.google.com.au/images?q=pi...w=1280&bih=539

Johnny24

Reaction score
Here is my advice: Go one button in a peak or a shawl, you seem to prefer the peak so get what you like but only get one button jackets in either model and if someone tries to sell you a notch, light them on fire while they hold the jacket in their hand. It will kill two birds with one stone
lol8[1].gif
Get the best possible correct item for the lowest cost. This means something like that Paul Stuart or the peak model that was the ebay link from before. You could always try to find something vintage and get lucky but I don't know your time table. If you do go vintage only buy a whole dinner suit, mixing and matching odd/orphaned jackets and pants will be a disaster. Remember the tuxedo will last you a long, long time with even basic care, so investing in the best you can afford is always the best option. Wear a self tied bow tie, in black to match the facings of the jacket, long ties are not correct with a tuxedo, at all, period. As for your waist, if you do a cumberbund it should match the facings of the jacket and the bowtie, the cummerbund will look fine with either jacket style but it looks best with a shawl. If you want the waistcoat get the model from Brooks, it is nice and it works well with a peak jacket. The wasitcoat is correct with either jacket facing as well. Get some pumps, I just got a pair of patent leather Ferragamo pumps on ebay for $20.00, they look way better with my tuxedo than the black balmoral lace ups I had been using. If you can't do the pumps get something in a black balmoral either patent leather or black and get a "wedding shine" at your local shoe repair shop. As for the shirt, get a normal tuxedo shirt and have it taken in if you can't find a slim fit model. I picked up a RLBL Custom Fit tux shirt at Marshalls for $50 and it usually retails at $165 even the custom fit is a little lose for me but with $20 at my tailor it will be ready for NYE. There are plenty of options out there for style but get a turndown collar, the wing collar looks affected. As for the ribbing or texture of the shirt that is your call but make sure it is either something with mother of pearl buttons and/or can be fitted with studs or it has a covered placket. You don't want to do a standard French cuff model here because it isn't formal enough. Keep the accessories minimal, no need for a watch as it is a formal event on your time, but if you must do it, make it a formal dress watch, not a chunky metal divers watch. Keep the cuff links basic, they don't have to match the shirt studs if the links have some personal meaning to you but they should be the same type of metal coloring, be somewhat basic, and not look out of place with the rest of the formal attire.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads