1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Grizzly Bear VS Silverback Gorrila

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by contactme_11, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

2. bachbeet

bachbeet Senior member

TS: Puts a whole new meaning to that Beatles' song.

3. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

4. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

The octopus is my favorite animal.
    I thought you were a cat person.

5. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

That is priceless!!

I remember hearing that old country fairs and carnivals would occasionally host an event that involved volunteers from the audience climbing into the ring to wrestle a bear for a few rounds. YouTube is slowly turning into a repository for all things Americana, so I plugged in bear wreastling (probably should have spelled it "rasslin") and found this:

Admittedly the bear in the video is a wisp of what we are talking about, but it was entertaining to watch some young fellow all liquored up and full of beans trying to pin the beast and impress the ladies.

In Bulgaria they used to have "dancing bears" on the street - they weren't grizzlies, but they were sure big enough, at least 6 feet tall standing, maybe 400 pounds plus. gypsies would have them on a leash, with a pierced cheek to control them. they would dance, and, for a few cents, you could get a hug from one, or "wrestle" one.

6. fareau

fareau Senior member

In Bulgaria they used to have "dancing bears" on the street - they weren't grizzlies, but they were sure big enough, at least 6 feet tall standing, maybe 400 pounds plus. gypsies would have them on a leash, with a pierced cheek to control them. they would dance, and, for a few cents, you could get a hug from one, or "wrestle" one.

Sorry, I am hijacking this thread with every post....this will be the last inane offering; it's seems strangely apropos:

7. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

In Bulgaria they used to have "dancing bears" on the street - they weren't grizzlies....

Actually, they were, more or less. The grizzly in its various races is now seen as merely a subspecies of ursus arctos, the Eurasian brown bear. However, the European brown bear is generally a much milder and more inoffensive animal that the North American grizzly, more like our black bear in this regard. It has often been suggested that this is because over the course of the milennia, the bolder, more aggressive and rapacious bears were killed off by humans, leaving the more timid, retiring ones to pass on their genes.

Interestingly, I just heard of some instances of bears killing humans in Romania, which has an abnormally high brown bear population because they were protected and "stockpiled" by the Communist dictator Ceaucescu (sp?), who liked to slaughter them in a most unsportsmanlike manner.

Some people have suggested using the milder European brown bear to restock former grizzly habitat in the American West where the grizzly would be unwelcome because of his ferocity.

8. globetrotter

Actually, they were, more or less. The grizzly in its various races is now seen as merely a subspecies of ursus arctos, the Eurasian brown bear. However, the European brown bear is generally a much milder and more inoffensive animal that the North American grizzly, more like our black bear in this regard. It has often been suggested that this is because over the course of the milennia, the bolder, more aggressive and rapacious bears were killed off by humans, leaving the more timid, retiring ones to pass on their genes.

Interestingly, I just heard of some instances of bears killing humans in Romania, which has an abnormally high brown bear population because they were protected and "stockpiled" by the Communist dictator Ceaucescu (sp?), who liked to slaughter them in a most unsportsmanlike manner.

Some people have suggested using the milder European brown bear to restock former grizzly habitat in the American West where the grizzly would be unwelcome because of his ferocity.

I stand corrected.

I heard a story, told to me by a Bulgarian who swore it was true - a lot of politicians come to bulgaria to hunt bear (I know that price charles has). at one point, a serious politician was there, and the foregn office wanted to garantee that he got a bear. the order was passed down, and the police confiscated a dancing bear off the streets and took it to the area that the hunt took place. everyone was waiting for the bear to appear, and it came out riding a bicyle, which it had found outside of a farmhouse. didn't save its life, though.

9. DNW

DNW Senior member

... and it came out riding a bicyle, which it had found outside of a farmhouse. didn't save its life, though.

[​IMG]

10. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

Gun writer Greg Rodriguez told me he was on a deer stand down near the Tex-Mex border when what should he see come stalking by but a maned African lion! .

I'm in Houston and many of my friends hunt in the valley.

Jan, Do you think that Rodriguez could have shot that lion and got away with it? I'm not advocating that, but the lion was presumably an escaped animal, and might have been dangerous.

11. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

This thread is quickly reaching hall of fame material.

12. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

13. Faded501s

Faded501s Senior member

Oh, mountain lions are definitely reclaiming the Midwest and East, no doubt about it. That's old news.

When you said "cats," I thought maybe you meant really big cats.

Damn brother, you are one bad MOFO. I wish I was as apathetic because I know I'll be pissing the proverbial pants if I run into this thing...until I shoot it dead anyway. I only hope I'm 20 feet up in the stand if it decides to show up or the hunter will become the hunted. Just looking at what it did to that tree made me nervous.

Octopus creep me out.

14. ken

ken Senior member

I thought yous guys were talking about the IFL. Last night's meet was the Silverbacks vs. the Red Bears.

I vote Polar Bear.

15. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I'm in Houston and many of my friends hunt in the valley.

Jan, Do you think that Rodriguez could have shot that lion and got away with it? I'm not advocating that, but the lion was presumably an escaped animal, and might have been dangerous.

I don't think he was sure about the legality of the matter. I don't know about Texas, but in many states, if an animal is not on a list of approved game animals and in hunting season, it is presumed protected. I don't remember what rifle he had, but I vaguely recall it might have been something on the order of a .243, which would have made any man of sense loathe to pick a quarrel with an African lion.

Besides, the lion was just doing its bit to secure our borders from illegal entry!

16. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

Besides, the lion was just doing its bit to secure our borders from illegal entry!

Yes, but, wasn't the lion an illegal alien? Ironic.

17. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Damn brother, you are one bad MOFO. I wish I was as apathetic because I know I'll be pissing the proverbial pants if I run into this thing...until I shoot it dead anyway. I only hope I'm 20 feet up in the stand if it decides to show up or the hunter will become the hunted. Just looking at what it did to that tree made me nervous.

Octopus creep me out.

Why kill the mountain lion unless it is menacing you? They are one of the most beautiful and dramatic animals in North America, and I think it is neat that it is regaining its range. Of course, if the lion becomes a menace to people or livestock, that's another story.

Possibly my attitude has been conditioned by living in Southern California. Almost every hike I have ever taken--in the San Gabriels, the Santa Monicas, the Santa Anas or the San Jacintos--has been in lion country, yet I have never so much as seen the track of a lion, much less an actual cat. With legal protection they are becoming more abundant and more aggressive, and there have been a very few attacks on humans. However, I have always made a point of being pretty well armed when I headed into the wild places.

18. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Yes, but, wasn't the lion an illegal alien? Ironic.

More likely he was American born and bred.

19. globetrotter

I came relativly close to a lion once, in africa (nothing that adverturous, I was killing time on a short safari). I was in a truck, and he poped out of the bush about 10 meters from the truck. looked at me, sort of gauged how tasty I looked vs the effort involved, decided to look elsewhere, turned around and walked, in a very leisurly way, off. they are very impressive animals. he did certainly, look as though he had a good chance of getting me if he had wanted to.

20. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

More likely he was American born and bred.

Fair enough (though I would still want to ask him for his birth certificate).