• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grilling Chicken

mrpologuy

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help on the grilling steak thread I started. I have cooked a few steaks since then and each one has gotten better. I am moving onto chicken. WHat typ of heat, sauces, marinades and tricks do you guys use for grilling chicken? Thanks for the help!

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Legs and thighs are about the only chicken I'd grill. I found a carribean spice rub recently at my local market and used that last week. Rub liberally, then put on a grill on medium heat, then do not move the chicken (except to flip it over once) until done. Let it char a bit in the outside, it tastes better that way. If it's still not cooked all the way through, stick it back in the oven for a few more minutes. I find this a common problem when the chicken isn't thawed all the way through.

I'm looking for a good jerk rub, anybody know any that I could buy online?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn

Too easy.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Too easy.

I've written about ten replies and I keep erasing them before posting because it is just too easy
laugh.gif

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sometimes it is the most difficult when there are so many possibilities.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you wish to grill chicken breasts I suggest slicing them into halves, horizontally for thinning pieces. This should reduce the cooking time needed and help keep the chicken from getting too dry. Medium high heat about 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 minutes per side depending on the thickness of the pieces.

The other method is to leave the steaks intact and sear at high heat for about 2 minutes. Then into a 375 degree oven for about 10 minutes.

There are alot of different recipes and marinades. For something simple, I like to make a simple pan sauce with some chicken stock, lemon juice and capers.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
two ways:

1. take chicken meat cubes. mix peanut butter, coconut cream, sweet chili sauce in equal parts. thread the chicken cubes on sticks, rub with the mixture and then pour leftover mixture on top. let it sit overnight in the frigde. grill.

2. wings. 4 parts soy sauce, two parts honey, equal (one) parts ground fresh ginger, ground fresh chilies, ground fresh garlic. mix sauce, marinade overnight. grill on low flame.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Legs and thighs are about the only chicken I'd grill. I found a carribean spice rub recently at my local market and used that last week. Rub liberally, then put on a grill on medium heat, then do not move the chicken (except to flip it over once) until done. Let it char a bit in the outside, it tastes better that way. If it's still not cooked all the way through, stick it back in the oven for a few more minutes. I find this a common problem when the chicken isn't thawed all the way through.

Grace Jamaican Spices
Not the best. But widely available and easy to find.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's how I do chicken breast (again, I know the breast is not the best tasting piece for grilling, but it fits into my diet). I take a chicken breast and cut it in half. I then smother barbecue sauce, paprika, and salt all over it. I then loosely wrap it in saran wrap and tenderize it by taking a mallet, and beating the crap out of it until it's very thin. This is very important because thinner tenderized strips retain the moisture a little better than just plopping it on the grill as a thick piece. A thick piece takes forever to grill and ends up drying out, but a very thin piece will cook pretty quickly. So really, you can add whatever spices and marinades you want, just make sure to tenderize the meat by beating it down.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why don't you just make your own? It's much better and more satisfying. I have a great recipe so let me know if you cannot find one you like online and I will send it to you.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Brine the chicken breasts, cook quickly, and they will keep their moisture. I brine chicken breasts, pork, and turkey before grilling or roasting.

Dissolve roughly 1/4 cup of salt plus a cup of sugar in a gallon or so of water (depends on time before grilling - if you've got all day, make it weaker). Adjust as you need to, use less brine solution for smaller grilling items. Let soak at least 4 hours - I put the whole thing in the fridge. The salt soaks into the chicken and pulls water with it. The sugar soaks into the surface (skin especially) and leaves a nice crust, but you could omit the sugar if you like.

Before grilling, rinse and pat dry, then add whatever flavorings you like. Grill over med-high heat and remove just before done - remove to plate and tent with foil to finish.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
All-purpose rub:

4 parts paprika
1 part ground cloves
1 part ground allspice (or nutmeg)
1 part pepper

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience w/ grilling a whole chicken sitting on a half full beer can (the chicken, not the griller)? It's supposed to come out great - moist and delicious, etc.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If your concern is meat getting too dry, along the lines of what Globetrotter suggested in his number 1, use a thick marinade with coconut milk such as the Thai satay types, or with yogurt as used in India (tandoori).

I make marinades up with whatever ingredients I have on hand. Examples:

Grated ginger, yogurt, salt, crushed garlic, cumin powder, coriander powder.

Coconut milk, crushed garlic, turmeric, fish sauce, crushed hot peppers.

Grated coconut, heavy whipping cream, curry paste, salt.

Etc.

Grill as shish kebabs (breast meat, cubed) or as split breasts, drumsticks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads