• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grilled Cheese: Beyond the Ordinary

Crakaveli

Reaction score
how about goat cheese and ezekiel bread grilled cheese?

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shellshock
stuffed grilled cheese at swinger's on beverly blvd

jack and cheddar cheese, guacamole, tomato slices, grilled onion, on sourdough
smile.gif

This is immediately what I thought of when I saw this thread. I still miss that sandwich after years of living away from LA....

nicad2000

Reaction score
I had a grilled pimento cheese with bacon, lettuce, and tomato on sourdough recently, it was quite good.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK.. first of all, FOR ME... any sandwich that includes a protein from animal flesh is not a grilled cheese. Otherwise, where do you draw the line? Is a Croque Monsieur a grilled cheese? HARDLY! So why is the same sandwich with bacon?

Anyway... in the interest of answering the OP's question...

1> A good tomato bisque to dip into really "soups up" a grilled cheese
2> Egg-washing the bread before grilling is fun
3> Even if I don't egg-wash, I often dip the bread in melted butter rather than buttering the pan or bread w/ solid butter
4> sadly, nothing melts better than processed cheeses (velveeta or american)

Night Owl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
I am too small time for this thread, IME the cheaper the cheese the better.

I usually use land o lakes butter, and kraft singles on wonder bread.

paired with campbells tomato = perfection

I thought this thread was about grilled cheese.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
pepper jack is a nice cheap cheese for GC. In college I had a roommate whose only contribution to the house was an old hot sandwich press. I made quite a few cheese and jalapeno GCs in that thing.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
If you want to take the most basic grilled cheese to the next level don't butter the bread. Instead melt butter in a pan and cook that way. The butter will make the bread crispy on the outside and soft and chewy by the cheese.

This is how my dad always made them when I was a kid, and how I make them. I love that crisp texture and the slightly yellow-brown outside... I had a friend tell me I was making it wrong. I told her to STFU.
laugh.gif

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Can anything beat this culinary inspiration for comfort food?

It's odd you should start this thread, because where we're headed tonight for happy hour, has a house special grilled cheese. A young (so not so hard) smoked gruyere, with maple smoked bacon, and carmelized shallots on home made brioche bread, using Irish butter. It's pretty much heaven, and can be sided with a cup of homemade cream of tomato soup
smile.gif

Talk about a good stomach lining for the start of happy hour.

WTF? No foie gras grilled cheese sandwich?
laugh.gif

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I love grilled cheese but I can't make it. Everytime I put the cheese on the grill it melts through and gets all over the charcoal.
rimshot.gif

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I made this grilled cheese yesterday and it was fantastic. It was a bit underwhelming in flavor, so I dipped it in a small amount of oil and vinegar, which really complimented it well.

I think if I make anymore I'll use a different cheese though. It was around $6 for the amount of cheese I used, and like I said, it didn't have a ton of flavor anyways.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads