• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Grey Wool Dress Pants, what color shoes/socks?

Izod32

Reaction score
Purchased a BR wool dress pant that should arrive in 1 week or so. It is grayish. I heard you can wear any color shoe with it correct? I have black and brown for shoes. But if i wear black shoes, socks would have to be black right? I am pretty positive it has to black or can it be gray?

The big question is What if i wear brown shoes? Would the socks have to be brown or gray since the pants are grey?

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gray socks only. Black or brown shoes acceptable.

IronRock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
Gray socks only. Black or brown shoes acceptable.

Any colour sock you want, unlike most I quite like a flash of colour at the ankle (no white though).

I've always liked choclate suede shoes with grey troos.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Izod32
But if i wear black shoes, socks would have to be black right?

No. The 'rule' is that the socks should match the trousers, but you can wear contrasting bright colours too. They should not normally match the shoes, and you can probably survive without ever wearing a black sock (even if you're wearing black shoes and black trousers, navy socks would probably be better than black, just to add a bit of depth).

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 matching trousers color or add some spunk with different colors. If you match trouser color and want to look dressier, go with a darker sock color. Again these are just recommendations... You can try going sockless too which I do at times in the summer.

FashionFadz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
No. The 'rule' is that the socks should match the trousers, but you can wear contrasting bright colours too. They should not normally match the shoes, and you can probably survive without ever wearing a black sock (even if you're wearing black shoes and black trousers, navy socks would probably be better than black, just to add a bit of depth).

Just wondered what sort of bright colours are acceptable these days?

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 15 3.5%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 74 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 142 33.0%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 71 16.5%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 35 8.1%