• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grey vest...

Style Pyle

Reaction score
I am looking for a nice grey vest to pair with black pants and a black tie for New Year's, can anyone suggest some internet stores where I can find one? I looked on J. Crew and they had what I wanted, but it is not expected to ship until February. I would like to wear this sooner...

Any suggestions?

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're not planning on wearing it without a jacket right? If you are please don't it's not a good look.

But if that's what you're going for I'd try Express

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think the WWM railroad vest looks decent without a jacket. just saying

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phoenixrecon
i think the WWM railroad vest looks decent without a jacket. just saying

wwmrrvestgray

Style Pyle

Reaction score
the idea was to do it without a jacket
eh.gif

in my mind it looks good, now i'm questioning that approach...

I kept thinking a red gingham shirt, black pants, black tie and grey vest would look dressed up enough for New Year's but dressed down enough that I won't mind going to the bars and dancing around...

I could always cut out the vest and replace with a sweater or just shirt and tie, but my plans for new year's should not include a jacket...

hmmm

thanks for the replies guys, I was hoping for a slightly more modern vest/waist jacket, a little lower cut in the front. Maybe I should consider alternatives...

Hollowthorn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Style Pyle
the idea was to do it without a jacket
eh.gif

in my mind it looks good, now i'm questioning that approach...

I kept thinking a red gingham shirt, black pants, black tie and grey vest would look dressed up enough for New Year's but dressed down enough that I won't mind going to the bars and dancing around...

I could always cut out the vest and replace with a sweater or just shirt and tie, but my plans for new year's should not include a jacket...

hmmm

thanks for the replies guys, I was hoping for a slightly more modern vest/waist jacket, a little lower cut in the front. Maybe I should consider alternatives...

go with express if this is what you still plan on doing
ffffuuuu.gif

Style Pyle

Reaction score
what does the angry guy mean?
blush.gif

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ It means if you must wear the vest, go to that store. Obviously he and many on here, including myself, find that look objectionable. It's just that every twenty something that wants to "dress up" goes for this look, and while it may look good on some, and it may have been at some point fashionable, it just now seems a bit contrived and cheesy to my eyes.

I am not sure what you're plans are for New Years eve, but if you don't require a jacket, it's probably best if you just wear a well fitting shirt and gray trousers and no tie.

But, this is all just advice from strangers on the internet. Do what suits you.

Style Pyle

Reaction score
I appreciate the advice

I don't want to ever look like I am trying too hard, I may just cut out the vest and do the suit, not sure.

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Swap the vest for a charcoal heavy/thick button-front shawl cardigan. I picked one up from Lands End Canvas for about $60 on sale. Keep the tie. Hopefully its solid or VERY simple repp/striped or other pattern

Also, lose the black pants with red. Bad look. Stick to dark grey or charcoals and you will look sharp.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads