• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Grey vest...

Style Pyle

Reaction score
I am looking for a nice grey vest to pair with black pants and a black tie for New Year's, can anyone suggest some internet stores where I can find one? I looked on J. Crew and they had what I wanted, but it is not expected to ship until February. I would like to wear this sooner...

Any suggestions?

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're not planning on wearing it without a jacket right? If you are please don't it's not a good look.

But if that's what you're going for I'd try Express

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think the WWM railroad vest looks decent without a jacket. just saying

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phoenixrecon
i think the WWM railroad vest looks decent without a jacket. just saying

Style Pyle

Reaction score
the idea was to do it without a jacket

in my mind it looks good, now i'm questioning that approach...

I kept thinking a red gingham shirt, black pants, black tie and grey vest would look dressed up enough for New Year's but dressed down enough that I won't mind going to the bars and dancing around...

I could always cut out the vest and replace with a sweater or just shirt and tie, but my plans for new year's should not include a jacket...

hmmm

thanks for the replies guys, I was hoping for a slightly more modern vest/waist jacket, a little lower cut in the front. Maybe I should consider alternatives...

Hollowthorn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Style Pyle
the idea was to do it without a jacket

in my mind it looks good, now i'm questioning that approach...

I kept thinking a red gingham shirt, black pants, black tie and grey vest would look dressed up enough for New Year's but dressed down enough that I won't mind going to the bars and dancing around...

I could always cut out the vest and replace with a sweater or just shirt and tie, but my plans for new year's should not include a jacket...

hmmm

thanks for the replies guys, I was hoping for a slightly more modern vest/waist jacket, a little lower cut in the front. Maybe I should consider alternatives...

go with express if this is what you still plan on doing

Style Pyle

Reaction score
what does the angry guy mean?

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ It means if you must wear the vest, go to that store. Obviously he and many on here, including myself, find that look objectionable. It's just that every twenty something that wants to "dress up" goes for this look, and while it may look good on some, and it may have been at some point fashionable, it just now seems a bit contrived and cheesy to my eyes.

I am not sure what you're plans are for New Years eve, but if you don't require a jacket, it's probably best if you just wear a well fitting shirt and gray trousers and no tie.

But, this is all just advice from strangers on the internet. Do what suits you.

Style Pyle

Reaction score
I appreciate the advice

I don't want to ever look like I am trying too hard, I may just cut out the vest and do the suit, not sure.

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Swap the vest for a charcoal heavy/thick button-front shawl cardigan. I picked one up from Lands End Canvas for about $60 on sale. Keep the tie. Hopefully its solid or VERY simple repp/striped or other pattern

Also, lose the black pants with red. Bad look. Stick to dark grey or charcoals and you will look sharp.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 9 3.5%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 40 15.6%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 79 30.7%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 50 19.5%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 17 6.6%