• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grey suit combo (for wedding) - Help required

MG5

Reaction score
There are rules and traditions in classic menswear. Some things objectively look terrible. Some things are objectively inappropriate in certain settings. Something does not become appropriate or look good just because you have different tastes and nobody is going to tell you otherwise, nor should they have to. You're going to get advice on what is appropriate and what people here think objectively looks good (shined oxford shoes with leather soles are the appropriate thing to wear with most suits regardless of your tastes; you may get away with a nicely shined pair of derbys or monks but that's about it). It is great that you want to figure out how to work with your own sense of style, but there are ground rules.

You may not want to hear these things. If you want to ignore what is appropriate and wear something that does not look good, that's your decision. Any poster here reserves the right to tell you it looks ugly and if you see a number of posts saying something looks ugly, you might take that as a form of advice that you should never wear said item again or should not buy said item; I for one prefer honesty to flattery but YMMV. Coming on here and threatening and insulting people is going to do you no favors.

Thanks for the advice on shoes, but I mentioned light grey suit (not dark colour). Great advice! :D

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't like shoes with thick sole and wide front end. But thanks for the suggestion anyway. 

So you want a thinner sole and a shoe that is less bulky? You probably can find oxfords like that, though you should know that they will wear out sooner and you'll have to get them resoled. If I'm understanding you, you're in the market for a sleek shoe with a relatively thin sole vs. trying to find a non-oxford.

The below link explains the differences between oxfords and derbys more elegantly than I can:

http://www.themitchelli.com/2012/02/mens-shoes-derbys-vs-oxfords/

The shoes you've just posted are still derbys. They look a bit better than some other things you posted. Do you have a link to the actual product?

MG5

Reaction score
So you want a thinner sole and a shoe that is less bulky? You probably can find oxfords like that, though you should know that they will wear out sooner and you'll have to get them resoled. If I'm understanding you, you're in the market for a sleek shoe with a relatively thin sole vs. trying to find a non-oxford.

The below link explains the differences between oxfords and derbys more elegantly than I can:

http://www.themitchelli.com/2012/02/mens-shoes-derbys-vs-oxfords/

The shoes you've just posted are still derbys. They look a bit better than some other things you posted. Do you have a link to the actual product?
Then I am set. I'll go with the shoes I posted above.
I don't have a link, but I have them somewhere in my house. I bought them for a prom and never used them since.
Thanks for everything.
smile.gif

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say a navy tie would look a lot better seeing as you have a grey suit and it would give the outfit some added color. I'd also substitute the shirt for something white as it will result in a much sharper outfit no matter what you wear (maybe it's my monitor but there seems to be some light yellow in that shirt; if it is in fact white, disregard).

MG5

Reaction score
I'd say a navy tie would look a lot better seeing as you have a grey suit and it would give the outfit some added color. I'd also substitute the shirt for something white as it will result in a much sharper outfit no matter what you wear (maybe it's my monitor but there seems to be some light yellow in that shirt; if it is in fact white, disregard).
Alright. Would this navy tie with white dots fit the bill?

MG5

Reaction score
This is the shirt:

http://www.riverisland.com/men/shir...ife-Of-Tailor-long-sleeve-Oxford-shirt-267030

This is the suit:

http://www.riverisland.com/men/suits/suit-jackets--suit-trousers/Grey-slim-fit-suit-jacket--265354

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright. Would this navy tie with white dots fit the bill?
I agree that a navy tie would be much nicer with the suit, than either the red or the silver. Again, the groom needs to OK the colour - and you should find out what the wedding's colour scheme is, and what the bridesmaids are wearing. You do not need to match them (nor should you match the bridesmaids) but you don't want to clash.

MG5

Reaction score
I agree that a navy tie would be much nicer with the suit, than either the red or the silver. Again, the groom needs to OK the colour - and you should find out what the wedding's colour scheme is, and what the bridesmaids are wearing. You do not need to match them (nor should you match the bridesmaids) but you don't want to clash.
The groom is wearing something similar to this and a white shirt:
http://store-uk.hugoboss.com/Suit-i...d.html&cgid=21100#!i=10&color=430_Bright-Blue

with this tie:
http://store-uk.hugoboss.com/Silk-t...tml&cgid=24600#!i=14&color=441_Turquoise-Aqua

and these shoes
http://store-uk.hugoboss.com/Calfsk...pd.html&cgid=27000#!i=16&color=201_Dark-Brown

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Max!
I think everyone's suggestions are great - keep it simple and classic. These are the mark of an elegant, well-dressed man. Maintain the traditional way of doing it, and you'll never go wrong. Fine dressing is not fashion-led, it's an art. :)
Btw, personally, slim type shoes will look perfect on you. Just consider what type of trousers are you wearing - with cuffs or without. Lace-up shoes if with cuffs. The usual slip-on shoes if without cuffs.
But if you already have a pair of shoes that you strongly want to wear, then go for it! Cheers!

MG5

Reaction score

Hi Max!
I think everyone's suggestions are great - keep it simple and classic. These are the mark of an elegant, well-dressed man. Maintain the traditional way of doing it, and you'll never go wrong. Fine dressing is not fashion-led, it's an art. :)
Btw, personally, slim type shoes will look perfect on you. Just consider what type of trousers are you wearing - with cuffs or without. Lace-up shoes if with cuffs. The usual slip-on shoes if without cuffs.
But if you already have a pair of shoes that you strongly want to wear, then go for it! Cheers!

Great suggestions. Cheers!

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lace-up shoes if with cuffs. The usual slip-on shoes if without cuffs.

Whether you wear lace-ups or slip-ons has nothing to do with whether your trousers have cuffs. It's an issue of matching levels of formality between shoes and the rest of the outfit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads