• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grey Sport Coat; Advice Please!

Reaction score
I understand that grey jacket is frowned upon by Styleforum members. However, I would like to know how difficult would it be to wear this jacket attached below? A pairs of darker trousers perhaps?

Or should I just abandon an idea of getting one as it might not be versatile enough in the wardrobe?

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 4.56.58 AM.png

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That would be a difficult jacket to wear well. If you want to get a grey sport coat, maybe try something in tweed, like a Harris herringbone or mid-grey Donegal. Those can be worn with blue jeans, tan chinos, and tan tailored trousers in materials such as cavalry twill or whipcord.

That jacket looks like a suit jacket with a poor choice for pockets.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There’s nothing to be frowned upon when it comes to a gray sport coat.

However, I’m not sure how versatile this one would be. I think gray herringbone or a donegal with a gray background would be better options.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That would be a difficult jacket to wear well. If you want to get a grey sport coat, maybe try something in tweed, like a Harris herringbone or mid-grey Donegal. Those can be worn with blue jeans, tan chinos, and tan tailored trousers in materials such as cavalry twill or whipcord.

That jacket looks like a suit jacket with a poor choice for pockets.

you beat me to it. I was in the middle of composing my reply when you posted.

Adsky Luck

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
the protagonist in Tenet wears a 2B grey sports coat similar to the one featured by OP

on more than one occasion

Tenet%2B15.jpg

Tenet%2B16.jpg

Tenet%2B19.jpg

typically with polos and lighter shade grey trousers

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One should not necessarily look to Hollywood for examples of good taste. To me,
it looks like Tenet favors orphaned suit coats.

Adsky Luck

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Not at all, it's has patch pockets and anyway it's all bespoke

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think that outfit is riding on Washington's good looks. Personally think he would look even better in something else, and most men won't look as good as him in a similar outfit, as they're not as handsome or being filmed for a multi-million dollar film by Christopher Nolan.

Betta

Reaction score
the protagonist in Tenet wears a 2B grey sports coat similar to the one featured by OP

on more than one occasion

Tenet%2B15.jpg

Tenet%2B16.jpg

Tenet%2B19.jpg

typically with polos and lighter shade grey trousers
Doesnt Michael Caine's character at one point say "Brooks Brothers look isnt going to cut it if you are pretending to be a billionaire " ?

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
I understand that grey jacket is frowned upon by Styleforum members. However, I would like to know how difficult would it be to wear this jacket attached below? A pairs of darker trousers perhaps?

Or should I just abandon an idea of getting one as it might not be versatile enough in the wardrobe?

Thanks!

View attachment 1568722

I tried this last year after falling head over heels for the texture of Simon Crompton’s grey flannel suit from Sartorio Panico.

FCE3366C-10AD-456D-AA7E-23A804F77C91.png

I found a vintage sport coat in a similar mid grey flannel, and while I love seeing it catch the light beautifully when I open my wardrobe I’ve never worn it out of the house. It looks like an orphaned suit jacket no matter how I pair it, and I can’t think of any particular detail that could be changed to make it look casual enough to break free of that association - especially at a distance in bright light, where all but the most heavily textured of greys just look worsted at a glance.

As DWW recommends, tweed would be the best way to go. Donegal could look great.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not at all, it's has patch pockets and anyway it's all bespoke

Two non sequitors:
1. Suits often have patch pockets
2. There is no rule that bespoke odd jackets cannot look like orphaned
(bespoke) suit jackets.

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doesnt Michael Caine's character at one point say "Brooks Brothers look isnt going to cut it if you are pretending to be a billionaire " ?
Yup, also I feel like Tenet is a bad example of grey suits, even once he changes the suits in the movie are really bleh. DWW is right, the outfits are all riding on the fact that David Washington is way handsomer and fitter than us.

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried this last year after falling head over heels for the texture of Simon Crompton’s grey flannel suit from Sartorio Panico.
I think light or mid grey flannel can look wonderful in tailoring, but not usually as an odd jacket. It's very hard to pull off when it's not a full suit, lighter greys just stand out so much against other colors. So your eye goes immediately to the jacket and if it isn't entirely perfect the outfit is busted.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads