• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grey odd trousers - beyond fresco and flannel

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for a few cloths 10 - 12 oz weight. I have all the flannel and fresco that I can reasonably use.

I have a pair if cavalry twill on the way.

Should I just open a open a suiting book and pick something with a bit of variegation in the color?

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you tried corduroy?

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have. Not quite what I'm looking for in this case; these will be a bit dressier.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If that is the case, how about The Eskdale-Trousers Collection?

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Definitely worth a look.

I took a look at the overly dark photos but would be good to seem them in person.

Grey gabardine just seems wrong - I feel like that color shouldn't be that flat.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looking for a few cloths 10 - 12 oz weight. I have all the flannel and fresco that I can reasonably use.

I have a pair if cavalry twill on the way.

Should I just open a open a suiting book and pick something with a bit of variegation in the color?

You could try a grey tweed with some surface itnerest. Have a look at the Sherry Tweed book; it's primarily a jacketing book I believe, but since you have lots of pairs of trousers already, I don't think you'll have any wear issues. Towards the end of the bunch there are some interesting flecked/mottled harder-wearing (at least, from the feel) donegal-ish cloths. There are several different greys there, all of which are interesting. I have a pair of blue-grey trousers from that section (wore them yesterday, in fact). Only got them last year, so can't comment on wear. I really like the Sherry Tweed book; lots of fun stuff, and all at a versatile 11oz (give or take) weight.

I was just thumbing through the old edition the other day (found an ideal fabric for the suit I want; sadly no longer in production) and planning on having a look through the newer bunch (from last year's collection, I think) soon.

EDIT: google has found a kind tailor who has uploaded all the Sherry Tweed swatches to his site: http://deoost.nl/hollandandsherry-fabrics-stoffen/sherry-tweed-hs1188/
Do look at it in person (and talk to your tailor) before using it for trousering. If you didn't already have plenty of other options (meaning they won't suffer from frequent/excessive wear) I probably wouldn't have mentioned this book.

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
take a look at Scabal Royal Gabardines book 1942

Cloth #'s 500665 & 500666, Medium and dark grey. They are gabs but have a mottled look and are not like any other gabs I have seen.
Have a handful of clients with 3 or 4 pairs of each color because of how they look and wear. Have probably used more than 100 yards of each color.

If you get worsted, look for some variation in tone so it doesn't look like suiting. You could also get plain, panama weave in that weight. Twills come in a variety of weaves and finishes, some more refined than others.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Check out the Cacciopolli (sp?) Napoli Winter Cotton collection.

And, if you're willing to go a bit heavier, the 13oz. Royal Classics collection from Dugdale has some excellent light greys.

Last edited:

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

CD, I'll definitely give those Scabal ones a look - they sound perfect. Could very well be my first Scabal item ever.

ET, I trust your judgment so I may also finally encounter an eyetalian cloth that I like.

HF, someday I'll get a tweed suit. I'm not ready yet...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics