• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grey (Odd) Sport Coat - Yay or Nay?

Beach Bum

Reaction score
I bought this Canali odd coat since it was the exact size/model I know fits and was extremely cheap. It has some texture, almost like a rough yet refined look, but could still pass for an orphan. It's a mid-grey.

I'm nearly certain it's not an orphan based on the 13290 model number with nothing following it, from all I've seen a suit coat will have a / followed by two digits. This does not. Here are some pics including a stock photo presumably from a large dept store some time ago.

What do you guys think? Will this still work for business dinners, etc? Or does it scream Orphan and should return ASAP? Thanks.

Us1PS5K.jpg

gCuvEK3.jpg

vvTAKsN.jpg

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan - it looks too much like a suit coat - so, for example, it does not look good in the photo posted - really looks like the model jumbled up 2 different suits.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pass. Flap pockets. Worsted wool. Notch lapels. Looks like an orphaned suit jacket

Beach Bum

Reaction score
Darn, was hoping at least someone would say keep it!

samtalkstyle

Reaction score
If you change the buttons to a brown horn or something of the like, it may pass. Some will still view it as an orphan but the majority of people probably won't notice.

But flannel would work better than worsted.

paxonus

Reaction score
The material almost looks like linen, which could work, but the pockets say orphan.

Beach Bum

Reaction score
Still haven't decided to return vs keep. Much of me says return based on it looking like an orphan with no obvious differentiating characteristics (pockets, color, pattern). But other part of likes how it looks so damn much and at 85%+ off retail it's quite cheap and will last a long time.

I do have a pair of slacks that closely resemble, if needed could pull off the suit separate odd turned orphan plus matching slacks look haha. Have like 10 days to decide.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pass. It looks like, even though it may not be, an orphaned suit coat.

I have nothing against a gray sport coat, but prefer something with more texture, like herringbone perhaps.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I do have a pair of slacks that closely resemble, if needed could pull off the suit separate odd turned orphan plus matching slacks look haha. Have like 10 days to decide.

You DON'T want to wear with slacks that closely resemble. Just like the pic that you posted with the model with the jacket and light grey pants on, it will look silly.

See this thread:

(I would also pass on that jacket.)

mlstein

Reaction score
Yes, it looks so much like an orphaned suit jacket that I would pass too. And IMO a gray sports coat is less usable than you might think. I have a lovely gray hopsack that sees little use. I find brown to be a much better option after the usual blues.

Beach Bum

Reaction score
Returned it. Loved the fit, but more because that particular size/model and Canali. Didn't like the boring suit color and appearance. Will continue the hunt. Thanks for the advice.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought this Canali odd coat since it was the exact size/model I know fits and was extremely cheap. It has some texture, almost like a rough yet refined look, but could still pass for an orphan. It's a mid-grey.

I'm nearly certain it's not an orphan based on the 13290 model number with nothing following it, from all I've seen a suit coat will have a / followed by two digits. This does not. Here are some pics including a stock photo presumably from a large dept store some time ago.

What do you guys think? Will this still work for business dinners, etc? Or does it scream Orphan and should return ASAP? Thanks.

Us1PS5K.jpg

gCuvEK3.jpg

vvTAKsN.jpg

Us1PS5K.jpg

gCuvEK3.jpg

vvTAKsN.jpg
I’m assuming you live in the US where people obsess more about orphans than in Europe. In Rome I would wear that in summer with white linen pants. Maybe change out the buttons as another reader suggested. Add a colorful pocket square.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads