• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grey Goose Vodka

thetieguy

Reaction score
It is a good vodka but not great. A lot of people think it is the best vodka in the world, but I would rather drink Chopin. The Goose and Belvedere are probably the most recognized names in vodka.

alan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Russian Standard vodka is equally if not better efficient in the no annoying hangover thing, at least ime.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everyone else hit the hail on the head. I'd wager than 95% of people who drink it only do so because it's grey goose.

It's really the epitome of stupid. People spend $10 to put a half-shot of this stuff in a watered down cranberry drink that has such a small amount of vodka in it, you wouldn't be able to tell if you switched it with the cheapest vodka you could find.

The Wayfarer

Reaction score
The Smith & Wol's in my city ran into some pretty serious issues regarding premium vodka about a year ago. As it seems, management was filling the top shelf bottles with well liquor and still charging $12 a pour. They got away with it for a long time until someone in accounting took notice and saw there was a huge imbalance between what they were investing into premium liquor and how much profit they were receiving from it. To make a long story short, as soon as the media caught wind of the story, management passed the blame onto the bar staff and fired them all.

Figured this anecdote would relate to the topic, as no one noticed the difference in quality.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hahah, why would the bar staff care about the companies profits?

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Happydayz
I hope you're aware of the story behind the concept for Grey Goose http://nymag.com/nymetro/news/bizfin...eatures/10816/ edit: for those too lazy to read it all, basically Grey Goose was a marketing decision. Someone figured that people had more disposable income and were willing to part with it for more money just for the sake of spending it. So the decision was to double the cost of the most expensive vodka on the market (at this time Absolut). Not a single drop of vodka was distilled before the marketing concept was largely finished. After it was decided that it should be distilled in France so as to differentiate itself from Russian vodkas and add an air of prestige, a group of failing French distillers were brought on board and taught how to make vodka.
As a marketing graduate, that is a great article. Very interesting.

Nomad_K

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thetieguy
It is a good vodka but not great. A lot of people think it is the best vodka in the world, but I would rather drink Chopin. The Goose and Belvedere are probably the most recognized names in vodka.

Goose = great marketing.

Chopin = great vodka.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know what vodka is suprisingly good?

Trump.

The Wayfarer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
hahah, why would the bar staff care about the companies profits?

Precisely. You'd think corporate would have immediately recognized the flaw in that logic as well.

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The entire basis for Grey Goose is for the snob appeal basis. There really is no such thing as a premium vodka. Note that the more times it is distilled, the more that whatever"flavinoids" there were in the product are removed. It is simply a matter of the merchant creating a myth in the minds of the buyers. That has been proved as a very successful way to make money.

Originally Posted by Happydayz
I hope you're aware of the story behind the concept for Grey Goose
http://nymag.com/nymetro/news/bizfin...eatures/10816/

edit: for those too lazy to read it all, basically Grey Goose was a marketing decision. Someone figured that people had more disposable income and were willing to part with it for more money just for the sake of spending it. So the decision was to double the cost of the most expensive vodka on the market (at this time Absolut). Not a single drop of vodka was distilled before the marketing concept was largely finished. After it was decided that it should be distilled in France so as to differentiate itself from Russian vodkas and add an air of prestige, a group of failing French distillers were brought on board and taught how to make vodka.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Like LS I prefer whiskey, possibly because I've spent a good 10+ years smoking and I my taste buds have been destroyed, but of the vodkas I've tried, GG was the only one that I haven't minded the taste of straight.

Granted, I haven't tried any of the other 'super premium' brands like Chopin or Beleveder.

It could of course just be the white trash in me ...

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Wayfarer
The Smith & Wol's in my city ran into some pretty serious issues regarding premium vodka about a year ago. As it seems, management was filling the top shelf bottles with well liquor and still charging $12 a pour. They got away with it for a long time until someone in accounting took notice and saw there was a huge imbalance between what they were investing into premium liquor and how much profit they were receiving from it. To make a long story short, as soon as the media caught wind of the story, management passed the blame onto the bar staff and fired them all. Figured this anecdote would relate to the topic, as no one noticed the difference in quality.
back in college i moved in with 3 strangers because i needed an apartment on short notice. these guys were 3 good ole boy brothers and they had a real entrepreneurial sense about them. they used to throw huge parties starting around 7pm or so, and around 10pm they'd break out bottles of grey goose and sell shots for 8-10 bucks apiece. only they would have filled the bottles with aristocrat earlier in the day. then theyd use the profit after paying for the party to go out and buy drinks downtown for girls, look like high-rollers, and bring home consistently great looking ass. not my style, but I still thought it was pretty impressive.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads