1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Grey glen plaid suit combination for a wedding in LA this summer

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Nick45123, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Nick45123

Nick45123 Member

Hey guys, longtime lurker looking for some advice on my suit combo. I've read around a bit on glen plaid, but with so many of the old threads' photos deleted it was hard to tell.
    So, my question is: how does this combo work? Should I go for a solid white shirt? Blue pocket square to match blue on tie? And what about the shoes? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rence

rence Member

Go with a light blue shirt, dark brown tie and dark brown shoes. The shirt and tie you have look bland with that suit. The shoes are too casual for the suit. Get some dark brown dress shoes with leather soles.

3. Nick45123

Nick45123 Member

Hey rence,

Thanks for the reply. Would something like this be better? It's the only other brown dress shoe I have. And what type of brown tie would you recommend? I'm not sure I could imagine brown working with this, but I'm very curious as to what you're thinking.

[​IMG]

4. comrade

comrade Senior member

MUCH BETTER! I love that shoe. Where did you get it?

5. comrade

comrade Senior member

LA in the Summer.I hope that it is not outdoors.
    Your suit looks warm. July 2011 I attended a wedding at a beautiful
    Country Club in the Malibu Hills. I wore a fairly lightweight
    tropiclal ( Belvest). I roasted. when the sun (finally) went down
    it was very comfortable.

6. Nick45123

Nick45123 Member

I actually got it from Kenneth Cole. It's from their "Made in Italy" line. Here it is: http://www.kennethcole.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3091631
    It's a great shoe for the price, although the construction still isn't remarkable.

As for the temperature, it's a 95% wool/5% cashmere blend yet very lightweight. I've only had the suit for a few months and haven't had the opportunity to wear it in warmer weather. LA can be hot but with no humidity I'm hoping it'll be alright.

7. landshark

landshark Senior member

I like the combination. Definitely get a more contrasting tie (purple is ideal) from the suit. A white shirt would make it an A+ fit, especially with a purple tie.

8. Nick45123

Nick45123 Member

Thanks landshark. I really like the idea of purple on white. What pattern/fabric would you suggest?

Would any of these work? #1, #2, #3, or #4?

9. Nick45123

Nick45123 Member

Thanks landshark. I really like the idea of purple on white. What pattern/fabric would you suggest?

Would any of these work? #1, #2, #3, or #4?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  10. landshark

landshark Senior member

#2 is the only one I would recommend or wear personally.

11. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

12. mensimageconsultant

#4 also would be fine. Don't wear any of those with a loud pocket square. White square likely would be best. A burnt orange tie probably would look better than a purple tie, assuming brown hair. Actually, purple tie would be iffy if the hair isn't brown or big and blonde.

Also, frankly the suit pants fit too much like jeans and ought to be less tapered.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  13. landshark

landshark Senior member

I emphatically disagree. Purple, a grey houndstooth or glen plaid are traditional wedding ties. Orange ties should be avoided in most cases (except UT football games)

14. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

lol

15. Nick45123

Nick45123 Member

Thanks man. I've got brown hair. I ended up bringing the suit jacket into a store the other day and went with a solid purple tie (slightly darker than the ones I linked earlier). I also chose a different pocket square and will be wearing a solid white shirt. I think it works quite well. I'm not really a fan of orange.
    Regarding the pants, I see what you're saying. They are definitely on the slim side. I got them fitted with the other shoes and think they sit much better on those. I prefer my pants pretty tapered.

??

16. mensimageconsultant

Burnt orange, not the regular loud orange. And yes, technically the other colors are better for weddings, but it's not a traditional suit - anyway, he has since chosen purple.