Grey Fresco Jacket

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by itsstillmatt, May 2, 2006.

1. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Is this something you would wear. Assuming that it is styled with patch pockets and so other more informal detailing, would the jacket still scream "orphaned suit coat", or do you think that it would work well?

2. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Is this something you would wear. Assuming that it is styled with patch pockets and so other more informal detailing, would the jacket still scream "orphaned suit coat", or do you think that it would work well?

Pardon my ignorance... what is a gray fresco jacket? Some marque or type of coat? Piccies [​IMG] ?

3. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Mid-grey or lighter. Perferably quite light in shade, with grey/white texture.

Fresco refers to a type of open weave.

4. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

I think it should be fine so long as it is no darker than mid-grey, has the right details (patch pockets, 2 1/2 buttons etc), and is of soft construction.

5. A Y

A Y Senior member

I think it depends on the cloth, but a fresco with relatively large weave wouldn't look like a suit jacket. The patch pockets also help, and perhaps also if the cloth had some kind of large-featured overpattern like a windowpane to help it look chunkier in texture. A pin- or chalkstripe may not be so good. Maybe toss in some conspicuous color-contrasted pick-stitching and super-pleated sleeve heads? [​IMG]

I'm not sure what you thought of my blue jacket, but I don't think it looks like an orphaned suit jacket because of the large weave and the patch pockets.

--Andre

6. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

Just curious, what color trouser will you put with a grey fresco jacket, and what type of cloth?

7. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Just curious, what color trouser will you put with a grey fresco jacket, and what type of cloth?

Good point seeing as 3/4 of my pants are grey. Probably linen or cotton.

8. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

Blue or tan cotton/linen trousers would be perfect with a grey fresco jacket.

9. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I think darker grey trousers would also work, with a colorful shirt.

10. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

There's 3-ply fresco that looks like hopsacking. But the standard-issue 10oz, 2-ply could be OK.

Best with a windowpane pattern (does such exist?), otherwise a sporty 3-button, patch pockets, soft construction. Go decently well with dark grey trousers, madras, blue linen. If you balance it right with accessories and your general appearance, perhaps beige or cream. Lightest tan shoes to complement the beige/cream. Cordovan with the others. Top-sider canvas sneakers with both.