Grey Flannel

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by heavyd, Oct 12, 2006.

1. heavyd

heavyd Senior member

Nothing in the world better than quality grey flannel. I don't se alot of it this season in suits. It it no longer en-vougue?

I think one of the last acceptable pleated pant looks is that of a great reverse pleat on with a large 1 3/4 cuff on grey flannel trousers...

thoughts?

2. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

Nothing in the world better than quality grey flannel. I don't se alot of it this season in suits. It it no longer en-vougue?

I think one of the last acceptable pleated pant looks is that of a great reverse pleat on with a large 1 3/4 cuff on grey flannel trousers...

thoughts?

I agree that the grey flannel is a beautiful suit. It is becoming scarcer rtw, and that's a reason to break them out of the closet or get one made up.

I dont quite get the second part about the pants, I think a lot of fabrics for pleated pants are acceptable.

3. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

I think one of the last acceptable pleated pant looks

[​IMG]

4. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

Gray flannel is timeless, elegant, textural. Fabulous, for accessories. I'm not sure about the pleat issue, either. I think a single pleat looks fine in many different weaves of fabric. Gabardine, would be one.

5. thinman

thinman Senior member

I've actually been considering having a gray flannel suit made up, probably within the next year. What shade of gray is classic? Should I make it a 3-piece suit?

6. Pink22m

Pink22m Senior member

I currently have a custom, light grey flannel suit on order, with waistcoat. It should be another couple of weeks...

7. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

What shade of gray is classic? Should I make it a 3-piece suit?

I find that a flannel vest can get a bit warm in a modern office building but then I tend to run warm.

I don't know that there is a "classic" shade of grey. These all look good to my eye.

[​IMG]

8. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

I've actually been considering having a gray flannel suit made up, probably within the next year. What shade of gray is classic? Should I make it a 3-piece suit?

Get the three. Darker flannel. My 2cents.

9. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

Grey suits are my favorites. I've not had problems finding them but if I did I would go mtm or bespoke.

10. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

Tomasso, the top example from your photo is more of a taupe, wouldn't you say? That shade, is my favorite. More complicated than the other two. The woods in your residence, are luscious. So are the shoes.

11. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

If you don't mind the extra expenditure, get the 3 piece. You don't have to wear the vest every time.

12. Film Noir Buff

I find that a flannel vest can get a bit warm in a modern office building but then I tend to run warm.

I don't know that there is a "classic" shade of grey. These all look good to my eye.

[​IMG]

Just about every shade is nice in grey, the lighter it is, the more dandy but of course the less practical. And I know what you mean, i have a three piece navy solid flannel and as soon as it gets cold enough to wear it, they crank up the heat like everyone in the office is either elderly or walking around in bathing suits.

Flannel is terrific though and now it's becoming a bit of a custom signal because it isnt that common in rtw.

13. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

Can a grey flanel jacket be worn as an odd jacket? If yes, what trousers should it be paired with?

14. rssmsvc

rssmsvc Senior member

[​IMG]

I love that light grey on right side.

15. Film Noir Buff

Can a grey flanel jacket be worn as an odd jacket? If yes, what trousers should it be paired with?

Sure, if it's a light grey jacket, then white or cream pants work well. Medium grey might not be as nice. A dark grey jacket is a bit Hip and may only work with black pants and a black sweater or something like that.