• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grey Flannel

heavyd

Reaction score
Nothing in the world better than quality grey flannel. I don't se alot of it this season in suits. It it no longer en-vougue?

I think one of the last acceptable pleated pant looks is that of a great reverse pleat on with a large 1 3/4 cuff on grey flannel trousers...

thoughts?

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by heavyd
Nothing in the world better than quality grey flannel. I don't se alot of it this season in suits. It it no longer en-vougue?

I think one of the last acceptable pleated pant looks is that of a great reverse pleat on with a large 1 3/4 cuff on grey flannel trousers...

thoughts?

I agree that the grey flannel is a beautiful suit. It is becoming scarcer rtw, and that's a reason to break them out of the closet or get one made up.

I dont quite get the second part about the pants, I think a lot of fabrics for pleated pants are acceptable.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by heavyd

I think one of the last acceptable pleated pant looks

rolleyes.gif

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gray flannel is timeless, elegant, textural. Fabulous, for accessories. I'm not sure about the pleat issue, either. I think a single pleat looks fine in many different weaves of fabric. Gabardine, would be one.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've actually been considering having a gray flannel suit made up, probably within the next year. What shade of gray is classic? Should I make it a 3-piece suit?

Pink22m

Reaction score
I currently have a custom, light grey flannel suit on order, with waistcoat. It should be another couple of weeks...

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
What shade of gray is classic? Should I make it a 3-piece suit?

I find that a flannel vest can get a bit warm in a modern office building but then I tend to run warm.

I don't know that there is a "classic" shade of grey. These all look good to my eye.

Shoes001.jpg

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tomasso, the top example from your photo is more of a taupe, wouldn't you say? That shade, is my favorite. More complicated than the other two. The woods in your residence, are luscious. So are the shoes.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you don't mind the extra expenditure, get the 3 piece. You don't have to wear the vest every time.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
I find that a flannel vest can get a bit warm in a modern office building but then I tend to run warm.

I don't know that there is a "classic" shade of grey. These all look good to my eye.

Shoes001.jpg

Just about every shade is nice in grey, the lighter it is, the more dandy but of course the less practical. And I know what you mean, i have a three piece navy solid flannel and as soon as it gets cold enough to wear it, they crank up the heat like everyone in the office is either elderly or walking around in bathing suits.

Flannel is terrific though and now it's becoming a bit of a custom signal because it isnt that common in rtw.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso

Shoes001.jpg

I love that light grey on right side.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kolecho
Can a grey flanel jacket be worn as an odd jacket? If yes, what trousers should it be paired with?

Sure, if it's a light grey jacket, then white or cream pants work well. Medium grey might not be as nice. A dark grey jacket is a bit Hip and may only work with black pants and a black sweater or something like that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads