1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Grey Flannel

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by heavyd, Oct 12, 2006.

1. heavyd

heavyd Well-Known Member

Nothing in the world better than quality grey flannel. I don't se alot of it this season in suits. It it no longer en-vougue?

I think one of the last acceptable pleated pant looks is that of a great reverse pleat on with a large 1 3/4 cuff on grey flannel trousers...

thoughts?

2. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Well-Known Member

Nothing in the world better than quality grey flannel. I don't se alot of it this season in suits. It it no longer en-vougue?

I think one of the last acceptable pleated pant looks is that of a great reverse pleat on with a large 1 3/4 cuff on grey flannel trousers...

thoughts?

I agree that the grey flannel is a beautiful suit. It is becoming scarcer rtw, and that's a reason to break them out of the closet or get one made up.

I dont quite get the second part about the pants, I think a lot of fabrics for pleated pants are acceptable.

3. Tomasso

Tomasso Well-Known Member

I think one of the last acceptable pleated pant looks

[​IMG]

4. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Well-Known Member

Gray flannel is timeless, elegant, textural. Fabulous, for accessories. I'm not sure about the pleat issue, either. I think a single pleat looks fine in many different weaves of fabric. Gabardine, would be one.

5. thinman

thinman Well-Known Member

I've actually been considering having a gray flannel suit made up, probably within the next year. What shade of gray is classic? Should I make it a 3-piece suit?

6. Pink22m

Pink22m Well-Known Member

I currently have a custom, light grey flannel suit on order, with waistcoat. It should be another couple of weeks...

7. Tomasso

Tomasso Well-Known Member

What shade of gray is classic? Should I make it a 3-piece suit?

I find that a flannel vest can get a bit warm in a modern office building but then I tend to run warm.

I don't know that there is a "classic" shade of grey. These all look good to my eye.

[​IMG]

8. designprofessor

designprofessor Well-Known Member

I've actually been considering having a gray flannel suit made up, probably within the next year. What shade of gray is classic? Should I make it a 3-piece suit?

Get the three. Darker flannel. My 2cents.

9. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Well-Known Member

Grey suits are my favorites. I've not had problems finding them but if I did I would go mtm or bespoke.

10. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Well-Known Member

Tomasso, the top example from your photo is more of a taupe, wouldn't you say? That shade, is my favorite. More complicated than the other two. The woods in your residence, are luscious. So are the shoes.

11. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Well-Known Member

If you don't mind the extra expenditure, get the 3 piece. You don't have to wear the vest every time.

12. Film Noir Buff

I find that a flannel vest can get a bit warm in a modern office building but then I tend to run warm.

I don't know that there is a "classic" shade of grey. These all look good to my eye.

[​IMG]

Just about every shade is nice in grey, the lighter it is, the more dandy but of course the less practical. And I know what you mean, i have a three piece navy solid flannel and as soon as it gets cold enough to wear it, they crank up the heat like everyone in the office is either elderly or walking around in bathing suits.

Flannel is terrific though and now it's becoming a bit of a custom signal because it isnt that common in rtw.

13. kolecho

kolecho Well-Known Member

Can a grey flanel jacket be worn as an odd jacket? If yes, what trousers should it be paired with?

14. rssmsvc

rssmsvc Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I love that light grey on right side.

15. Film Noir Buff

Can a grey flanel jacket be worn as an odd jacket? If yes, what trousers should it be paired with?

Sure, if it's a light grey jacket, then white or cream pants work well. Medium grey might not be as nice. A dark grey jacket is a bit Hip and may only work with black pants and a black sweater or something like that.

16. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

Sure, if it's a light grey jacket, then white or cream pants work well. Medium grey might not be as nice. A dark grey jacket is a bit Hip and may only work with black pants and a black sweater or something like that.
    I actually think it can look really good with pinstriped pants. Lighter is better

17. Film Noir Buff

I actually think it can look really good with pinstriped pants. Lighter is better

I spoke too soon, that of course is true. In fact, in some ways that is rather Hip on a younger man. You could wear it, for example, with a white spread collared shirt, silver tie and black lace ups or rock it a little with a royal blue or purple crepe de chine silk shirt and black chukkas.

18. Lawman

Lawman Well-Known Member

Where could one get some nice light grey or cream flannel trousers? Me want.

19. Verso

Verso Well-Known Member

I adore flannel, but I often read here about how fragile it is compared to worsted. Does that make it a poor investment for MTM/bespoke for the cost-conscious?

20. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I adore flannel, but I often read here about how fragile it is compared to worsted. Does that make it a poor investment for MTM/bespoke for the cost-conscious?

Not really. Good flannel can last a long time. I have a three-piece suit that is more than ten years old.

You have to expect it to get a little threadbare in certain places, but to me that is part of the charm. Some people say to always get two pairs of trousers, but I never have, and it's never been a problem.

Flannel will always have more trouble holding a crease, and ideally it should rest between wearings. It's not so great for travelling, either.