Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Grey flannel suits - what seasons are they appropriate for?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SilverSurfer, Apr 18, 2006.

1. SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer Senior member

I recently purchased a charcoal flannel suit and am wondering what seasons I can wear it in. It is very lightweight flannel, so I don't think it the material itself will constrain when I wear it (probably ok for most of summer, heat-wise). But flannel obviously has a subtle but particular look. Is it ok in the summer?

2. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

I would say they are for fall, but if the fabric is light, I do not see why not for spring. It would look too depressing for summber however.

3. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

I agree, it was 94 here yesterday. So about all you'll wear here is a layer of sweat and a dirty collar. Watch the weatherman.

4. GreyFlannelMan

GreyFlannelMan Senior member

I think a grey flannel can be a 2 1/2 season suit in the NE/Midwest. Fall/Winter/early Spring. They do become a bit uncomfortable for me when the temperature gets over 70.

5. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

I don't think flannel looks quite right in the summer - the exception being cream or white light-weight flannel pants.

6. observer

observer Well-Known Member

I don't think flannel looks quite right in the summer - the exception being cream or white light-weight flannel pants.
    being the material and colour for the traditional cricket kit, a summer game...

7. Tyto

Tyto Senior member

I think a grey flannel can be a 2 1/2 season suit in the NE/Midwest. Fall/Winter/early Spring. They do become a bit uncomfortable for me when the temperature gets over 70.

This is generally my thought for parts of southern California, as well. I have tropical-weight flannel trousers that I wear nearly year-round, but those are generally mid-grey. I'd love some cream flannels, but can't seem to find them for under around $200.