Grey flannel suits - what seasons are they appropriate for?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SilverSurfer, Apr 18, 2006.

1. SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer Senior member

I recently purchased a charcoal flannel suit and am wondering what seasons I can wear it in. It is very lightweight flannel, so I don't think it the material itself will constrain when I wear it (probably ok for most of summer, heat-wise). But flannel obviously has a subtle but particular look. Is it ok in the summer?

2. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

I would say they are for fall, but if the fabric is light, I do not see why not for spring. It would look too depressing for summber however.

3. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

I agree, it was 94 here yesterday. So about all you'll wear here is a layer of sweat and a dirty collar. Watch the weatherman.

4. GreyFlannelMan

GreyFlannelMan Senior member

I think a grey flannel can be a 2 1/2 season suit in the NE/Midwest. Fall/Winter/early Spring. They do become a bit uncomfortable for me when the temperature gets over 70.

5. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

I don't think flannel looks quite right in the summer - the exception being cream or white light-weight flannel pants.

6. observer

observer Well-Known Member

I don't think flannel looks quite right in the summer - the exception being cream or white light-weight flannel pants.
    being the material and colour for the traditional cricket kit, a summer game...

7. Tyto

Tyto Senior member

I think a grey flannel can be a 2 1/2 season suit in the NE/Midwest. Fall/Winter/early Spring. They do become a bit uncomfortable for me when the temperature gets over 70.

This is generally my thought for parts of southern California, as well. I have tropical-weight flannel trousers that I wear nearly year-round, but those are generally mid-grey. I'd love some cream flannels, but can't seem to find them for under around $200.