1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Grey and navy

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by Arronbirch88, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Arronbirch88

Arronbirch88 New Member

Hello I'm new here and need some advice.
    I want to light grey trousers and a dark navy blue shirt but don't know what colour tie to wear with it? I'll also be wearing brown shoes and belt.
    If you think this combo will look terrible then let me know.

Thanks

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

It's fine, but I really think that with a navy shirt, you might want to eschew the tie. It's very casual.

3. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

It'd look better with a light blue shirt, rather than a dark navy shirt. I haven't even seen the dark navy shirt, and still I'm confident of this.

4. Astaroth

Astaroth Senior member

Dark colour shirts rarely look good, are generally casual (or "rebelious" in the case of the all black shirt, suit, tie etc) and also tend to age badly/quickly.

You don't mention the colour of any jacket? If that means there is no jacket then there should be no tie either

5. Arronbirch88

Arronbirch88 New Member

I wasn't going to wear a jacket, I want to go for smart casual as going to a boxing event and really have no clue on style, jeans and t-shirt kind of guy but bored of that and want to up my game a little! I've got navy chinos that I really like but the shirts I've got I don't like how the collars sit when unbuttoned without a tie to pull them in

6. darcys

darcys Member

I agree with this. The jacket can be Dark Navy, but not the shirt.

7. Astaroth

Astaroth Senior member

Tie and no jacket looks bad.

Button down collars are generally better when worn without a tie than a spread collar, particularly if its the english style of construction (the spread that is)

8. Arronbirch88

Arronbirch88 New Member

Okay shirt and tie a no no then! What about a waistcoat?