• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grey 3 piece suit for a wedding... Question about shoes.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the suggestion, those do look nice. What would you reccomend for around $500?

Reason the budget got smaller is the loafers are tied to something else beyond the wedding, somewhat of an overdue promise for something else I made good on. Considering I do not wear black shoes often, and they would be almost specifically for the wedding, I'm leaning towards $500 as my max. The Boss ones I have are around 3 years old and have been worn maybe 7 times, is it the style that is off on those?

For black shoes, you want a balmoral rather than a derby style and probably a conservative stitch cap.

http://www.barneys.com/Crockett-&-J...ault,pd.html?gclid=CIrjsvKzxrgCFc4-MgodGFgA3g

Crockett & Jones is a good option in your price range. If you order from the UK, you can probably get something for around 300 British Pounds which will end up at slightly under $500 with shipping charges. The stitch cap balmoral is the style you want. There are probably some other C&J shoes in that style with a bit more of a chiseled toe if you like something a bit sleeker. Design-wise, these look a bit boring, but that's kind of the point. There are times when you're going for simple elegance and a shoe like that will help you get there.

Last edited:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Allen Edmond Park Aves. The only black shoe you'll ever need for weddings, funerals, court dates or any other serious occasion. About $300.

Yeah. If OP doesn't care about how sleek they are and just wants something conservative to wear 3-4 times a year, you really can't go wrong with these. They are a bit clunkier than some other brands but you really can't beat the value proposition for a shoe that simply needs to be brought out for rare conservative occasions.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In an attempt to make up for my earlier curtness...

If you want to have something a little more "creative", but still, in my opinion, tasteful...see what you think of the black and blue "Wedgwood" boots (full disclosure: I get absolutely zero financial benefits from Justin doing well, but I did interview him recently and like him a lot personally):

http://www.theshoesnobblog.com/p/classseparator-styleclear-both-text_21.html

A balmoral boot is traditional for a wedding. Of course usually they would be all black. But the blue suede will mostly be covered by your trousers, only showing occasionally as you're walking. They are a bit above your $500 price range, but I doubt you'll find many bal boots for less.

Or, I don't know your size, but Leffot has a sale right now with these included:

http://leffot.com/shop/index.php/sale/belgrave-black-calf.html

Chelseas are a kind of "cool" boot, introduced in the 50s, but their design is very clean, and this last is sleek enough that I don't think they'd be totally out of place at a wedding.

Last edited:

JDubbs

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, this is helpful...

JDubbs

Reaction score

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about the watch strap matching your shoes too much. Importantly though, I advise against wearing a belt with a waistcoat. It's not historically correct, and it looks bad to me because the belt will make the waistcoat bulge out.

People will disagree with your decision to wear brown shoes instead of black, which would be more traditional for a wedding, but it's orders of magnitude less "rule-breaking" than the python shoes from earlier.

JDubbs

Reaction score
Thanks... It's a 112, I'm a fairly big guy so it doesn't look out of place on dressy occasions. It's polished stainless and dresses up nice with a deployant clasp on brown gator.

About the level of formality, I think it's looser than most wedding. We're both well enough grown up, and this is more us putting it on for friends, our families are small (or fractured) and the wedding is over 1000 miles from where we grew up. I have a lot of friends that got married at the hometown church and they had tuxes, big family representation, etc etc... For this, we waited a few extra years, moved halfway across the country, and now we are basically having a party wedding at a nice hotel with our new friends from here and a few old ones flying in, very small amount of family overall. The venue should set the impression of how people are expected to dress, but if someone shows up with a plaid sport coat and slacks that won't really be out of the style-box. I doubt they will, and certainly I don't imagine anyone wearing jeans, but I can see people might have fun with their outfits due to the deco style of the venue & invites, along with the fact we don't have any church. We are doing a short ceremony right in the venue, in fact our friend is a minister so he will be marrying us, string trio for the ceremony & cocktail hour music, DJ later in the night for dancing etc...

I just happened to want a grey 3 piece, but I'm really hoping that doesn't restrict me too hard on shoes, prefer brown because I could use a pair, and if I'm gonna spend on them it makes sense to wear and enjoy... The groomsmen will be in their own suits, pulling their look together with the tie, I'll be the only one in a 3 piece with a black tie.

Sounds like I have approval on those brown shoes, right?

Last edited:

JDubbs

Reaction score

I wouldn't worry about the watch strap matching your shoes too much. Importantly though, I advise against wearing a belt with a waistcoat. It's not historically correct, and it looks bad to me because the belt will make the waistcoat bulge out.

People will disagree with your decision to wear brown shoes instead of black, which would be more traditional for a wedding, but it's orders of magnitude less "rule-breaking" than the python shoes from earlier.

But bit loafers are out of play, right? I mean, could I do a pair of black or brown bit loafers? Pretty sure "no" but just want to check...

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But bit loafers are out of play, right? I mean, could I do a pair of black or brown bit loafers? Pretty sure "no" but just want to check...

I'd say no to any loafer, bit loafers included.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads