1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Grey 3 piece suit for a wedding... Question about shoes.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JDubbs, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

I prefer the term "solid" if you don't mind. :D

2. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Fair enough.

3. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

:)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  4. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  5. JDubbs

JDubbs Active Member

6. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

I wouldn't worry about the watch strap matching your shoes too much. Importantly though, I advise against wearing a belt with a waistcoat. It's not historically correct, and it looks bad to me because the belt will make the waistcoat bulge out.

People will disagree with your decision to wear brown shoes instead of black, which would be more traditional for a wedding, but it's orders of magnitude less "rule-breaking" than the python shoes from earlier.

7. unbelragazzo

Also, I don't know what watch you've got, but be careful not to wear one that's too bulky/sporty.

8. JDubbs

JDubbs Active Member

Thanks... It's a 112, I'm a fairly big guy so it doesn't look out of place on dressy occasions. It's polished stainless and dresses up nice with a deployant clasp on brown gator.

About the level of formality, I think it's looser than most wedding. We're both well enough grown up, and this is more us putting it on for friends, our families are small (or fractured) and the wedding is over 1000 miles from where we grew up. I have a lot of friends that got married at the hometown church and they had tuxes, big family representation, etc etc... For this, we waited a few extra years, moved halfway across the country, and now we are basically having a party wedding at a nice hotel with our new friends from here and a few old ones flying in, very small amount of family overall. The venue should set the impression of how people are expected to dress, but if someone shows up with a plaid sport coat and slacks that won't really be out of the style-box. I doubt they will, and certainly I don't imagine anyone wearing jeans, but I can see people might have fun with their outfits due to the deco style of the venue & invites, along with the fact we don't have any church. We are doing a short ceremony right in the venue, in fact our friend is a minister so he will be marrying us, string trio for the ceremony & cocktail hour music, DJ later in the night for dancing etc...

I just happened to want a grey 3 piece, but I'm really hoping that doesn't restrict me too hard on shoes, prefer brown because I could use a pair, and if I'm gonna spend on them it makes sense to wear and enjoy... The groomsmen will be in their own suits, pulling their look together with the tie, I'll be the only one in a 3 piece with a black tie.

Sounds like I have approval on those brown shoes, right?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  9. JDubbs

JDubbs Active Member

But bit loafers are out of play, right? I mean, could I do a pair of black or brown bit loafers? Pretty sure "no" but just want to check...

10. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

I'd say no to any loafer, bit loafers included.

11. JDubbs

JDubbs Active Member

12. unbelragazzo

To me, the brown shoes are fine. Just do braces/suspenders instead of a belt if you're going to wear a waistcoat.

13. HughJ

HughJ Senior member

Coming from someone who deeply regrets buying several pairs of Gucci shoes pre-style forum, you can do a lot better in that price range. Even at $500, you are in the C&J / Carmina ballpark, which while not as aggressively styled as G&G, I think are far from boring as well. I'm a fan of shoes on the 348 and Simpson lasts respectively.

14. JDubbs

JDubbs Active Member

I'm researching this and seeing a fair amount of inconsistancy. Is this your preference or really considered a solid rule?

15. Calder

Calder Senior member

Not wearing a belt with a waistcoat? It's a rule. You can see the bulk of the belt buckle beneath the waistcoat.

1 person likes this.
  16. unbelragazzo

You will, of course, see plenty of guys wearing a belt with a waistcoat. You'll also see plenty of them buttoning the bottom button, which there's also a rule against, even if it's more for the sake of tradition than aesthetics.

The DoW made belts more popular, wearing them often, for instance in this famous picture:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m76skgq49l1qkqmp8o1_400.jpg

But whenever he needed to wear a more formal suit, he would usually wear a double-breasted. My quick search couldn't even find any of him wearing a 3-pc single-breasted suit. But if you did, I'd be very surprised if he were wearing a belt. With any kind of formal wear, which includes an open coat and a waistcoat, he would never wear a belt.

Now every time I think of a waistcoat worn with a belt I am reminded of this horrid image:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lsxo0mFPbZ1qjffwko1_500.jpg

1 person likes this.
  17. topos

topos Senior member

If your waistcoat fits right you wouldn't be able to see a belt anyways. So all a belt can potentially contribute to the situation is a bulge, especially at the buckle, which will look bad. Hence suspenders, which in addition to not being seen won't produce any bulges under the vest. I find they do a better job keeping my pants in the right place anyways.

2 people like this.
  18. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Only if your belt buckle has bulk.

19. JDubbs

JDubbs Active Member

I'm sure this detail can go either way... My goal is to get a very trim belt, which shouldn't be seen anyways. However, I will also have them sew in buttons for suspenders, I don't recall if the pants had them or not but I will ask them to do it. This way I can try both and just go with whatever truly works best.

Thanks again everyone!

20. topos

topos Senior member

So what's the point of the belt if, as you say, shouldn't be seen anyways? The physics guarantees suspenders do a better job than a belt keeping your pants up, which seems to be the only remaining argument for wearing a belt. Heck, if my pants fit well enough I might not wear either.