• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grenson

kennethpollock

Reaction score
I bought lots of them from Bennie's and I have had the same thing start to happen with the outer sole of one of them. However, the exact same thing has happened with a pair of Grensons that I bought from PS.
I understand that the PS's come from a USA jobber. They are PS returns and Grenson dumps them to the jobber rather than have them sent back to England. However, this guy also goes to England to buy shoes and that is why some of the Grensons that he sold to Bennie's carry the Henry Maxwell label and other labels. I imagine that Grenson sells him all the returns that it gets. I would not be surprised if some of the next batch did not say N&L. He did sell Bennie's a few Grenson irregulars, but they were clearly so marked. I understand that Bennie's has made it clear that it does not want any more of these.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PhiloVance
Yes, the leather isn't quite the same as the Paul Stuart shoes. My biggest gripe has been the strange way in which the leather sole kind of began detaching in rather large pieces. It wasn't the actual sole, but rather the piece that covered the sole stitching (hope this makes sense). It was alarming the way it came off on a pair of Radley's I bought. I supposed this was somewhat cosmetic, as it didn't appear to effect the shoe in any real way.
What you've observed coming loose is the flap covering the channel in which the stitches lie. This flap was originally cut back to expose a channel in which to stitch the welt to the outsole, and was then glued back over the channel--producing what's normally called a "channeled sole," although some (perhaps more precise people) would call this a "closed channel sole." Anyway, it's glue that is holding the flap in place and, with wear, the flap can be worn down and the glue can let go, producing the effect you describe. I suppose one could see this outcome as indicative of poor workmanship, but I've heard of it happening on Edward Green and John Lobb Paris shoes, so go figure!

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That has happened on some my channelled shoes after a while, usually in the toes where my shoes wear quicker. Including C&J handgrades, EGs, and JLs. Although not in "large pieces" nor were they really flapping about. The covering layer just got worn down.

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I said, it didn't really effect the wearing of the shoe, and I really have no complaints about the shoe. I just found it strange the way the piece would start to peel. It definitely began due to wear around the toes, and just took off from there. But believe me, it will not in any way stop me from placing additional orders from this new batch!

kennethpollock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Is it possible the Grenson's are seconds? The suspicious would think you guys were talking others out of buying a bunch of pairs!
smile.gif

And how do you explain that not a sole has mentioned this upcoming shipment on AA?
I just hope that this time no one will contact Chris in advance about setting aside a pair of Stowes for him.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All my Grensons have had slight problems with the channeled soles, but I am rough on shoe soles in the toe...

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As to the Q? about not being mentioned on AA, I don't want to pay an advertising fee for trying to bring a good, reasonable deal to the fine gentlemen of the SF and AA forums, as to the irregular Q?, as Mr Pollock has clearly defined, we made very clear which pairs were reject/irregulars, all pairs were clearly defined that were not PS returns, as well as which were/were not Masterpiece collection. The soles of any channel stitched shoe with a top coat cover will eventually peel, because as another poster stated, it is simply glued to make a better overall appearance. When the sole begins to peel, especially at the toe, the best solution is to have it reglued and place a toe-tap on the shoe, it will protect the sole from further peeling. Any other questions any may have, I will feel free to answer.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I'm normally between a 9 and a 9.5 in U.S. sizing. I can wear most 9s, in terms of length, but the toebox tends to squeeze a bit too much and I end up going to a 9.5. Suggestions on my size in Grensons?

Thanks, guys.

I found that the 10.5's that I normally wear (sometimes an 11) were often too narrow in the toe box on the Grenson loafers.

Ken: if you happen upon anything in 10.5 or 11 in your travels through Bennies, and you remember, would you mind reporting back? I'd be grateful, naturally.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kennethpollock
Wow! Last time I was there (2-3 weeks ago) they still had a few Grensons (with French or Henry Maxwell of London labels) in those sizes, at the old $150 price. Even better, they had a number of J&M Handgrades in those sizes for $250; including the "shovel" sole model. You ought to call right away.

Lucky if they have your size in the J&M shovel. Unfortch, all they had for 10-11 was AA or the like [insert emoticon of disappointment here].

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Same experience with the boots; they're relatively narrow through the toes. Fortunately they're boots so I didn't mind sizing up to an 11 (US) and using a pad on the inside of the tongue to keep my heel in place. For reference, I measure a pretty consistent 10D-E (US).

Tom

kennethpollock

Reaction score
Will do. Comolli and I may go there Friday.
It is never mentioned on the forums but 3-4 times a year Bennie's has take an extra 10 or 15% off sale.
Too bad your foot is not a tad smaller. I could sell you the J&M Handgrade brown full brogue regular sole, that I bought for $200 plus tax, in a 10D (I bought two identical pairs and only need one). It is a "Second" and has an all rubber heel and plain interior, instead of all the gold lettering. Otherwise, it seems identical to the firsts. I see no flaws. Marked 25743; 108N.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PhiloVance
Yes, the leather isn't quite the same as the Paul Stuart shoes. My biggest gripe has been the strange way in which the leather sole kind of began detaching in rather large pieces. It wasn't the actual sole, but rather the piece that covered the sole stitching (hope this makes sense). It was alarming the way it came off on a pair of Radley's I bought. I supposed this was somewhat cosmetic, as it didn't appear to effect the shoe in any real way.

The exact same thing is happening to my PS / Grenson MP. Disappointing I must say.
confused.gif
This has never happened so far on any of my JL or EG

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kennethpollock
Will do. Comolli and I may go there Friday.
It is never mentioned on the forums but 3-4 times a year Bennie's has take an extra 10 or 15% off sale.
Too bad your foot is not a tad smaller. I could sell you the J&M Handgrade brown full brogue regular sole, that I bought for $200 plus tax, in a 10D (I bought two identical pairs and only need one). It is a "Second" and has an all rubber heel and plain interior, instead of all the gold lettering. Otherwise, it seems identical to the firsts. I see no flaws. Marked 25743; 108N.

Ken,
I'm a 10 if you're really interested in getting rid of that J&M handmade! PM me if you're interested. . .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads