Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Grenson sizing help

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by chorse123, Nov 21, 2004.

1. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I ordered a pair of the Grenson Rugby's from Chris at Bennie's. Gorgeous shoes, but they didn't fit.

I normally wear a 9 or 9 1/2 and the pair I ordered was a 9C. It was too tight in the toe. Do you think a 9 1/2 C would be okay? It felt snug all the way around, but would this be helped by a 1/2 size larger at all? It hurt to send them back, but it would have hurt more to have worn them.

What a conundrum.

2. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Isn't C considered a narrow fit? Most often if you don't specify you get a D.

3. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Yeah, they didn't have anything I wanted in D. I may have to wait for the next shipment...

4. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think the Grenson/Paul Stuart shoes at Bennies are marked with a US size that is 1 full size larger than the UK size, instead of 1/2 size up. Which is to say that they will tend fit just a tad on the small side (not enough to be a problem for narrow-medium width feet, but probably a factor for med-wide feet.) You say you usually wear a 9 - 9 1/2 which I take to mean a 9 1/2 if the shoe runs a bit small.

So you bought a shoe that was both a half size small, and a size narrow. When the next shipment rolls in, I wouldn't go with the 9 1/2 D's, though you might be able to work a 9 1/2C.

5. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Thanks for the advice.

6. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

If the shoes are snug all over, you might be O.K. with a 9 1/2 C. The shoes will be about 4mm (just over 1/8") longer, which should ease the pressure on the toes. The point where the shoes narrow will be higher up on your toes (therefore will hit a narrower point; after all your heel will be lined up against the back of the shoe). Apart from the length, ½ size larger will increase the shoe in every dimension, which might be just that bit of ease you require. But if they are really tight, then a 9 1/2 D might be the better size.